are they worth it?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I wouldn't trade my time with any of the 5 Bulldogs I've loved and lost over the years. My 5 year old Ruggles is very healthy. I'm looking at OEBs because it is possible to get a Bulldog without the breathing problems that lead to so many other issues!

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a lot of nos on this forum. :)

For us, a bully was my husbands choice of dog. He had wanted one for years, and we decided after we got married would be the best time. So I started researching the breed and like you, I started second guessing if a bully was worth it. I was worried about all the health concerns and if we would make the best parents for a bully because they seemed to require a lot of work.

My husband was already living and working in Montreal and I joined him about a month after we got married. Even with all the concerns Adam was certain that a bully was for us. He had been researching breeders, and on the day I arrived in Montreal he announced that he found a breeder he liked and we were going to go meet her the next weekend. We spent several hours at the breeders house, getting to know her, and playing with her bullies. She was absolutely wonderful and she was interviewing us just as much as we were interviewing her. As luck would have it, she had just mated one of her females and the sire was still there staying with her, so we got to meet the parents of our future pup.

So here we are a year later, and we have the most amazing boy ever (who is currently in the process of unloading all his toys on to my lap so I will put down the iPad and play with him instead). So far he has been a healthy boy, knock on wood. I think I have a tendency to fuss over him, and worry about the minor issues, because this is our first bully and I'm still slightly nervous that one of those nasty healthy issues will surface at any time. And then I come on EBN, and get whatever advice I need, and continue loving on our bully.

I am so greatful we have Rook in our life, so happy my husband insisted that this was the dog for us, and very glad we found a good breeder whose main focus is breeding healthy happy pups. I feel like we were lucky to have been chosen by our goofy little boy ( I swear he claimed us when we first went to meet his litter ), and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We've had a variety of dogs over the years..purebreds and mixed breeds. Rescues off the street and humane society. Paid good money for a few and more good money for Jake..our first bulldog. He is 18 months old and in perfect health! Our vet bills with him consist of puppy shots..neutering..removing a tick..3 Bee stings..:cursing:.and a couple checks for his insatiable hunger for inedible objects! We joke we've paid to add a wing on to our Vets..and those thousands were spent on mixed breeds and rescues..NOT on Jake! There is no guarantee on their health. But I guarantee you will fall totally in love and your worries now will be a distant memory. But the love will last a lifetime..:yes:

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I was in your place about 5 months ago wanting a bully very badly but a bit hesitant because of the issues you hear when researching the breed. Olive became part of the family the end of April. She is 7 mos old this week and she is a joy to our family. she joined our 12 year old Chocolate Lab. We love her beyond what I can tell you. As a fairly new Bully owner, here are a few word of advice I can give you:
Buy pet insurance so you have the reassurance that you can financially handle any unforeseen expensive medical issue.
Find a good reputable breeder. Although there is no 100% guarantee of good health, an excellent breeder has health as a top priority and breeds to improve bloodlines. A good breeder will stay in touch with you and want to be a rescource to you.
Get the puppy when you have the time to devote to your bully. It's like having a new baby initially. It's tiring. the time you put into your pup will be returned a million times through the snoring sounds, the lap cuddling and the laughs you will get from your pup. So to answer your questions....... Yes they are worth it!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I love how everyone jumped in and posted. :yes:

On a more serious note, if you're ready to make the following sacrifices, then a bully's for you:
- wipe their bums after each poo session
- give them your seat on the couch, even if you simply got up to get something in the fridge
- give them your side of the bed
- no more quiet nights, hello charming snores!
- give them a piece of your fruit or veggie when they give you the bully look
- scratch their butts whenever and wherever they want
- no more alone time in the washroom

If you answered yes to all of the above, welcome to the family! :hug:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I applaud you for researching this very special breed so carefully and for being so thoughtful about your decision process. :clap:
But like so many have said, YES, absolutely, 100% worth it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
WHen she steps on my foot and its black and blue for a week I wonder if she is worth it... LOL Or I get up in the middle of the night and I step on those hard little kibbles she leaves around the house I wonder if she is worth it.. LOL Or I get her to within two feet of the back door to go out and she runs back in the den and I have to go get her and carry her out I wonder if she is worth it.. LOL. Princess Gracie is 5.5 years old and has had very few problems. She gives more love than you could imagine a dog could give. She is our baby...:luv::

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
They are worth it 1,000 times over!! We have been pretty lucky so far with Winston really just all routine visits to the vet besides one ear infection! All dogs can have their issues but these little guys are the most loving adorable dogs! I can't wait to go home to Winston everyday! They are worth every second no matter what! :heart: Good luck with your search!!

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
WHen she steps on my foot and its black and blue for a week I wonder if she is worth it... LOL Or I get up in the middle of the night and I step on those hard little kibbles she leaves around the house I wonder if she is worth it.. LOL Or I get her to within two feet of the back door to go out and she runs back in the den and I have to go get her and carry her out I wonder if she is worth it.. LOL. Princess Gracie is 5.5 years old and has had very few problems. She gives more love than you could imagine a dog could give. She is our baby...:luv::

I thought only Winston did this! :lmao: Glad to hear he isn't the only one who will walk down the hallway get within inches of the door and then decide nope I don't want to go outside LOL! Then as my husband picks him up and carries him outside I swear I can see a smile on his face LOL!!!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I thought only Winston did this! :lmao: Glad to hear he isn't the only one who will walk down the hallway get within inches of the door and then decide nope I don't want to go outside LOL! Then as my husband picks him up and carries him outside I swear I can see a smile on his face LOL!!!!

It IS a smile.... it's a genetic part of the breed. ;)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It's sad that your pup had to die and my heart goes out to you, but puppys do die sometimes. Also other than bulldog pups. One reputable breeder just had a litter of 6 and one had to be put down, because of a cleft palate. Another had 5 boys, but one that looked the biggest and strongest just died at the age of 4 days. Other 9 though are healthy strong and beautiful little bullies from healthy champion bulldogs.
I'm already dreading the day my Usko leaves me, it will devastate me, he is the light of my life.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we've got no health problems over here, but lots of daily (cleaning) maintenance :) so worth it :) they are needy emotionally but thats what we love

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Absolutely!! Despite the freaky problem that Aubrey had that caused us to have to put her down, I wouldn't trade my time with her for a second even with the same outcome. It was painful to let her go and I still get very upset about it at times almost 3 months later, but that is part of the reason why they are worth it--I loved my baby girl more than I have ever loved a dog (and I'm a dog lover!). But Aubrey's problem was something no one would have seen coming and one that is uncommon period. I wouldn't want anyone to base getting an EB off of what happened to her.

I know that our little Aubie has a chance to have problems down the road just like any dog. Any purebred dog can have problems. Our family's jack russell when I was a teenager got sick at age 3 and we never found out what caused him to have a seizure and die. Things happen and no matter the breed there is a risk. Yes, our bullies may seem to have more minor problems than other dogs (allergies, skin issues, etc), but you can figure these out and control them. You must have patience. You must be willing to put in the work and become educated about the breed. We learned a lot from our first bully just like anyone else does, and it did nothing to deter us from getting another one. One major thing we learned.... get a care credit line and/or pet insurance the day you bring your pup home! We didn't have either with Aubrey, but we have both with Aubie so we are prepared just in case.

It's true what we all say-- there's no dog like an english bulldog! I am ruined for other breeds now because none match the bully girls I've had and have in my life. Aubrey did and Aubie does bring me so much joy (and sometimes frustration) and I wouldn't trade my time with either of them for the world. Those sweet bully smiles and kisses melt my heart every time.

Members online

No members online now.