Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: are they worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    WHen she steps on my foot and its black and blue for a week I wonder if she is worth it... LOL Or I get up in the middle of the night and I step on those hard little kibbles she leaves around the house I wonder if she is worth it.. LOL Or I get her to within two feet of the back door to go out and she runs back in the den and I have to go get her and carry her out I wonder if she is worth it.. LOL. Princess Gracie is 5.5 years old and has had very few problems. She gives more love than you could imagine a dog could give. She is our baby...:
    I thought only Winston did this! Glad to hear he isn't the only one who will walk down the hallway get within inches of the door and then decide nope I don't want to go outside LOL! Then as my husband picks him up and carries him outside I swear I can see a smile on his face LOL!!!!

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren31287 View Post
    I thought only Winston did this! Glad to hear he isn't the only one who will walk down the hallway get within inches of the door and then decide nope I don't want to go outside LOL! Then as my husband picks him up and carries him outside I swear I can see a smile on his face LOL!!!!
    It IS a smile.... it's a genetic part of the breed.

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    It IS a smile.... it's a genetic part of the breed.
    Ohh how I love them and their little quirks!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

It's sad that your pup had to die and my heart goes out to you, but puppys do die sometimes. Also other than bulldog pups. One reputable breeder just had a litter of 6 and one had to be put down, because of a cleft palate. Another had 5 boys, but one that looked the biggest and strongest just died at the age of 4 days. Other 9 though are healthy strong and beautiful little bullies from healthy champion bulldogs.
    I'm already dreading the day my Usko leaves me, it will devastate me, he is the light of my life.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

we've got no health problems over here, but lots of daily (cleaning) maintenance so worth it they are needy emotionally but thats what we love

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

Absolutely!! Despite the freaky problem that Aubrey had that caused us to have to put her down, I wouldn't trade my time with her for a second even with the same outcome. It was painful to let her go and I still get very upset about it at times almost 3 months later, but that is part of the reason why they are worth it--I loved my baby girl more than I have ever loved a dog (and I'm a dog lover!). But Aubrey's problem was something no one would have seen coming and one that is uncommon period. I wouldn't want anyone to base getting an EB off of what happened to her.

I know that our little Aubie has a chance to have problems down the road just like any dog. Any purebred dog can have problems. Our family's jack russell when I was a teenager got sick at age 3 and we never found out what caused him to have a seizure and die. Things happen and no matter the breed there is a risk. Yes, our bullies may seem to have more minor problems than other dogs (allergies, skin issues, etc), but you can figure these out and control them. You must have patience. You must be willing to put in the work and become educated about the breed. We learned a lot from our first bully just like anyone else does, and it did nothing to deter us from getting another one. One major thing we learned.... get a care credit line and/or pet insurance the day you bring your pup home! We didn't have either with Aubrey, but we have both with Aubie so we are prepared just in case.

It's true what we all say-- there's no dog like an english bulldog! I am ruined for other breeds now because none match the bully girls I've had and have in my life. Aubrey did and Aubie does bring me so much joy (and sometimes frustration) and I wouldn't trade my time with either of them for the world. Those sweet bully smiles and kisses melt my heart every time.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pan Cake
    Likes (Received)

Just look at the pictures of these bullies.

We are all proud bully parents!

Even those of us who have bullies with health issues.

We love our babies, a love like I've felt for no other.

Pan is so worth it, I would have 10 more just like him if I could!

Yes, there are some issues... Pan had a bout of allergies, my fault - not his, I gave him bad food, that's me not educating myself first.

His food also gave him an ear infection (from the yeast in all the fillers they use.)

Many of us put a monthly stipend away just for emergencies. But what pet owner shouldn't have money to give their pet proper care.

Pan is a very healthy, well-mannered, and loving bully. I consider him, not just my pet, but one of my own.

Before we got him, I was hesitant. I never really thought about getting a bulldog before we got him. Pete wanted one, had wanted one for years. So I decided I would buy one for him as a valentines day present.

So I researched, found out as much as I could, a lot like what you're doing. I found about the common ailments, and printed all of that information out. Then I sat down with Pete and asked him... "Are you sure you want one of these dogs, that could have all of these issues?"

Well we have Pan, so you know the answer to that question.

Before Pan, we both had rescue dogs, pound puppies, you know the ones that cost $80, and are fixed, chipped, and cheap.
    So after all of that research, we started shopping...and I found myself thinking... You want how much... You do realize its just a dog, right?

That was then, this is now. Pan is not just a dog to me, he's my lovey, my sugar baby, my wooly bully...
    He's a member of my family, I talk about him more than I talk about the kids, I show off his pictures when I'm introducing myself. He's my companion, he would go everywhere with me if he could, and I would gladly take him if I were allowed.

He has turned my life upside down. Is he worth it, you bet! And only when you get one, and experience the love that they give will you believe it!
    If you can’t adopt – foster.
    If you can’t foster – sponsor.
    If you can’t sponsor – volunteer.
    If you can’t volunteer – donate.
    If you can’t donate – educate, network, and crosspost.
    EVERYONE can do something large or small, to help save a life.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

I would say yes worth it for sure. I've had lots of health problems with sarah but mostly due to my ignorance of the breed n that she was a rescue. I love her more than anything. I will say this breed is not for everyone. It takes a dedication n love its a comitment for sure but oh the reward you get back is awsome. she makes me laugh every single day and yes there have been times i was like omg what did i get myself into well when you get them on the right food and such then its so great. i cannot imagine the day when i dont have her. its a love like no other.
    Last edited by cowsmom; 07-22-2012 at 07:23 AM.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Your question makes me envision my life without them, and what a big void that would be... my own life's candle would feel blown out. Never to feel BabyGirl's face in my hands or rub her round belly and hear her little grunts of "that tickles." Yes, those simple minor silly but endearing traits and many more are what I love about his breed. When you take on a life long partner one if the traditional vows states (whether vocal or just silently understood) "in sickness and in health" should apply to our fur children as well. Life holds no health guarantee for any of us, be it health or our hearts.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

@jlj781...are they worth it?!! My eyes are tearing up, reading all these replies to your question.
    Because I know what they know and I know how they feel, we all know...Bullies are quite simply,
    pure, unconditional, complete & total love! They are more 'human' than you can possibly imagine,
    so fierce looking and yet, very sensitive and emotional, they steal your heart no matter how hard
    you guard it...and you are glad they did...that they pick YOU and you are grateful, so very grateful!
    When our Son told us he wiped Bruzer's butt after every poo (his GF's Bully) we were disbelieving and
    incredulous...that's when we knew...he loved this girl, lol As I started researching Bullies, to help Bruzer
    overcome his newly acquired allergies (at 3 y/o), like you, I was very hesitant to get one but I just knew
    from loving Bruzer, this breed was special and different and every Bully owner...very happy w/their Bullies.
    Out of nowhere, a month ago, I got a call from my Sister, telling me her friend needed a home for her 3 y/o,
    Brutus, and did I want him? I drove 4 hrs to p/him up and while he was sweet, mannerly & mellow, I had no
    idea how much I was to LOVE him like I do...OMG...I love him and he loves me back in the same crazed way!
    It's incredible how satisfying and complete the bond is between you and these wonderful dogs...GET ONE!!!
    I don't believe you'll ever regret it no matter what happens and may I tell you, they love everyone in 'their'
    family, no one is left out, no hurt feelings of being ignored...their family is everything to them and they make
    sure everyone gets loved & cared for, 1st time I've heard my husband giggle like a kid in years when Mr Brutie
    plays w/him and kisses his ears and bald head! He loves on my Mother especially sweet like he knows she's
    childlike (and very gently too) and he mauls my 12 y/o Ragdoll cat, CoCo, who is normally a diva and 'above it
    all' but just like the rest of us, can't seem to resist his clumsy, goofy, silly but oh so sincere...affections.
    Put a little money aside in a special fund, research breeders and get one that loves the breed and wants to
    breed great, healthy Bullies, start them on the best food possible and filtered water, keep chemicals to as little
    as possible in them & on them & I think you will have a healthy Bulldog, lucky you, Enjoy! Texas Carol & Mr Brutie

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

@jlj781...are they worth it?!! My eyes are tearing up, reading all these replies to your question.
    Because I know what they know and I know how they feel, we all know...Bullies are quite simply,
    pure, unconditional, complete & total love! They are more 'human' than you can possibly imagine,
    so fierce looking and yet, very sensitive and emotional, they steal your heart no matter how hard
    you guard it...and you are glad they did...that they pick YOU and you are grateful, so very grateful!
    When our Son told us he wiped Bruzer's butt after every poo (his GF's Bully) we were disbelieving and
    incredulous...that's when we knew...he loved this girl, lol As I started researching Bullies, to help Bruzer
    overcome his newly acquired allergies (at 3 y/o), like you, I was very hesitant to get one but I just knew
    from loving Bruzer, this breed was special and different and every Bully owner...very happy w/their Bullies.
    Out of nowhere, a month ago, I got a call from my Sister, telling me her friend needed a home for her 3 y/o,
    Brutus, and did I want him? I drove 4 hrs to p/him up and while he was sweet, mannerly & mellow, I had no
    idea how much I was to LOVE him like I do...OMG...I love him and he loves me back in the same crazed way!
    It's incredible how satisfying and complete the bond is between you and these wonderful dogs...GET ONE!!!
    I don't believe you'll ever regret it no matter what happens and may I tell you, they love everyone in 'their'
    family, no one is left out, no hurt feelings of being ignored...their family is everything to them and they make
    sure everyone gets loved & cared for, 1st time I've heard my husband giggle like a kid in years when Mr Brutie
    plays w/him and kisses his ears and bald head! He loves on my Mother especially sweet like he knows she's
    childlike (and very gently too) and he mauls my 12 y/o Ragdoll cat, CoCo, who is normally a diva and 'above it
    all' but just like the rest of us, can't seem to resist his clumsy, goofy, silly but oh so sincere...affections.
    Put a little money aside in a special fund, research breeders and get one that loves the breed and wants to
    breed great, healthy Bullies, start them on the best food possible and filtered water, keep chemicals to as little
    as possible in them & on them & I think you will have a healthy Bulldog, lucky you, Enjoy! Texas Carol & Mr Brutie

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I've only had my OEB just over a week now and I am already madly in love with her and the breed. She was a rescue and came with a skin issue that with the help of meds is starting to clear up. All breeds with have their health concerns that a particular breed is more susceptible to. I've got a Boxer with severe arthritis in her back, a Boston with severe seasonal allergies and food allergies......but even a mixed breed can come with health issues. It's great you're doing your research on this breed. I have always wanted a bulldog but wasn't actively looking....when I heard about this rescue OEB a week ago Friday I didn't need a lot of time to think about it. As soon as I looked into her sweet face I knew she was mine....and now a week later I can't imagine how empty my home would be without her.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads