are they worth it?

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
Hey, weve been looking into a bulldog for a long time and we both really love them, but while this forum is very informative and has helped us a bunch, it has scared us away from them a little bit. we knew coming in that bulldogs had alot of health problems and wernt going to be the healthiest breed out there but the amount of different problems and amount of people having problems on here have got us scared off a bit. we were planning on getting our first bulldog right away and were just wanting some reassurance that its not all problems with these cute little guys and we could have a relatively healthy dog that lives for a normal life span. i know this is a forum for help when bulldogs have problems and thats why there is so many but we just wanted to make sure that there is alot of you bulldog owners out there that have had little to no problems aswell thanks.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I have two with the same problem but it is not slowing them down whatsoever. And I have one with no problems. I haven't incurred a lot of vet bills with any of them including the two with problems, it's just routine maintenance stuff for the most part. Mine have pulmonic stenosis so they have to have yearly echos ($300) and they take Atenelol twice a day ($12 for 90 pills) and that's about it. The biggest cost incurred so far was the angiogram and that was around $800.

Please don't let this scare you off, just research the breeder you are planning on getting one from first. I would recommend rescue first though. Sometimes those dogs come in with health problems but before they are adopted out the problem is either fixed or well on the way to be.

Good luck and no matter what you decide glad you found us

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Tyson has had his share of problems, but he is a rescue from a not so caring home. He is also a senior but we have had nothing major at all. Nothing super expensive and nothing we can't handle. Just eye drops daily. He needed antibiotics when I first got him and a de worming but any mistreated dog would no matter the breed.
As far as are they worth it? I have had many dogs over my life and worked with many many more breeds. There is nothing like them , they will steal your heart in a second, they have an almost human quality about them. My dog hating boyfriend even fell for them and when we lost our first he cried right along with me. To us it was almost like we lost a child. They are an interesting breed with a certain something you can't find with any other dogs.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
My non bulky Jack cost us $3200+ last year and he was only 6.5 months. All dogs can have unexpected health issues, Bulldogs are just prone to a few more due to their breed. Know your breeder well and get references if you can.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My bulldogs RARELY see a vet (knock on wood) unless they have ingested something they should not have, have an eye scratch or ulcer. This can happen with any dog. The key to owning bullies is knowing HOW to care for them. Good diet, grooming and knowing what products to use and when. You are correct that many find us on google because they need help, and unfortunately because bulldogs are expensive, there are also many backyard breeders and puppy mills that produce them in unhealthy ways. Those dogs are probably MOST of the bulldogs out there, hence all the health issues! Find a good breeder who can guide you, teach you, has healthy dogs and will answer your call at any time for help. You will reduce your chances of any problems this way, there are no guarantees but an 8 week old puppy should have good nares, pallet and nice tight hips, if those all check out you are probably about 80% in the clear for most issues.

A lot of bulldogs here have many non-genetic issues too, like torn ACL's, coccidia, giardia, worms, overfeeding, ect. This can happen to any dog.

Are they worth it? Heck yes!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
okay here is my take. My two normal bullies and frenchie are healthy knock on wood. Just yearly checkups and shots. Now my two SPina bifida dogs were rescues and have had some problems. Mikey is the baby Spina Bifida baby and he is healthy other than the diapers. SO i say yes they are worth it.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So worth it! Just do your research on breeders :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so that explains my grammar :)

Tobs31

May 16, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Sullivan (my angel), Hank, and Ted
Worth it?? Absolutely, times 100!!! Knock on wood, I have been so lucky with my guys...allergies here and there but have mostly cleared up with a recent food change. They make me smile everyday
ae8d735c-316a-83c2.jpg

ae8d735c-317f-52a8.jpg
ae8d735c-3190-a61b.jpg

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I can easily answer this question in one word... YES!

It's true that this breed is more prone to health problems but so do so many other breeds that aren't as well publicized. Have you read what happens to the Cavalier Charles Spaniel? The breeds with the most potential problems includes German Shepard, dachshunds, Pugs and even chihuahuas. My point is that ANY dog can come with big medical bills. It's a risk you take when you open your heart but it's a risk that we willingly take because the rewards are amazing.

Search my username, read my post history. You will find that my girl was born broken. I already know that her life with us will be short and I will tell you that even with all of her health issues, I wouldn't trade a second of our time together. When Abby puts her head on my shoulder at night and lets out that big sigh as she closes her eyes, I know that all I've done for her is totally worth it.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My Usko has the affected huu-gene, so he has had bladder stones operated, but other wise he is healthy. With minor "normal" illnesses once in awhile. All dogs can get ill and most breeds have their typical defects. And like said there is a lot of shady people there that don't care about nothing else than money and breed unhealthy dogs in unhealthy conditions. Those poor puppy's look just as cute as the healthy ones. Finding a good breeder is the most important thing you can do to ensure your dogs health and even then something just might come up. No body living escapes maladies. Bulldogs just are so much more than any other breed that I have ever met, so my answer is definitely YES.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Also I'm guessing that a lot of members here found us because they were looking for some advice about health issues, that's why you've been reading quite a bit of them.

If you're petrified of the costs and the risk is too high, then I'd look into getting insurance right when you get your bully from the breeder. It's so there aren't any pre-existing issues that the insurance companies will deny payment for. It's what we did for our youngest bully and I'm glad we did. We're able to not stress about vet costs so much. We pay $67 with taxes monthly with Petsecure.

Most of our issues concern allergies. Our youngest had a cherry eye and a UTI, both isolated occurrences. We rescued our oldest from a friend's friend and we had issues in the beginning but only because of neglect. In my experience, a good diet from the very beginning will help tremendously.

My boys are the very first pets my bf and I own and I'm so glad we've chosen this breed. I really fell in love with them when my youngest first snuggled with me. I never expected them to be like that, let alone progress to kissing them on the lips. :lol:

Last edited:
OP
jlj781

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
hey thanks so much for all the fast responses, another reason why i was questioning the breed is that we had a puppy all picked out but it had somthing wrong with it from birth and died within a week, so that kind of started to shake our confinence. we have researched our breeder well and i am confident in her. i was just making sure there was as many good storys as bad on here. it just seemed like alot but this is the place to ask questions about health problems so it makes sense. i am sure were are going to stick with the bulldog they just have so much more character over any other dog. i just wanted to hear some good things to make me feel a little better about our choice, i didnt want to be setting ourselves up for heartache. thanks again i hope to be joining the bulldog family soon.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
When your heart swells not only for your bulldog baby but for all the ones you meet here or other sites like facebook etc., and you feel so passionate about them as if they were your own children and you share their joys and pains - it's all worth it.

When you can't wait to go home from work every day to be greeted by their wiggly lil butts and they are so happy to see you and you are so happy to see them and snuggle or play tug of war - it's all worth it.

When they stand guard or follow you just to be near you (even to the bathroom) and you'll find them always at your feet - it's all worth it.

When you look into their eyes and you feel the love they have for you and you for them - it's all worth it.

You'll wonder how you ever lived without him or her. Nothing lasts forever and one day we all have to say goodbye but even that's temporary if you believe you will meet again. I dread the day I have to go thru this with my babies but despite the pain I know I will have to face the happiness they've brought to my life is MOST DEFINITELY ALL WORTH IT.

Good luck and best regards on your search!

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
They are so worth it! Unless you are absolutely sure you want a puppy, you can also look into Bulldog rescues. We got Jackson from a rescue and he was already house trained and knew basic commands. Also, he has very few health problems (thank God) and nothing serious that can't be handled. Please don't get a bulldog if you are not 100% sure that you want one. That is how they end up in shelters and rescues. They are a time and financial committment, but they are soooo worth it!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Short answer: are they worth it? Yes a thousand times.

But you are so smart to ask the question. We're postponing another b/c we want to plan financially and for travel.

I'm sure you realize whether it's human, canine, cooking, houses...people use forums to solve problems, so, naturally, you'll see more problems than not...I just had back surgery that according to spine forums was "the worst" and I'm doing GREAT. But In terms of problems, our particular dog has overall been average--we've had some behavior issues (stubborn) (but it's cute!), we've had some eye problems, so far the major health issue was something any breed can have (girl-part stuff).... more a breeder thing that he wouldn't have control of...just wish he had told us!

Some questions to think about:
Do you have $5,000+ savings? Or good enough credit to get a "care card" (no interest Vet credit for 6 months). Probably won't need it, but more so than with, say, a Labrador. Or research insurance from the start.

Willing to limit travel? Some bullies do okay in boarding kennels or with pet-sitters, some don't. But I can almost guarantee you will not want to leave her.

Ready to fall completely and hopelessly in love? Ready to have a sudden connection with every single bully owner you meet? Ready to have kids stop you on the street and not let you go? Ready to give up some major real estate in your bed? Then hop on! Git going! It'll change your life.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.