Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: are they worth it?

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: are they worth it?

When your heart swells not only for your bulldog baby but for all the ones you meet here or other sites like facebook etc., and you feel so passionate about them as if they were your own children and you share their joys and pains - it's all worth it.

When you can't wait to go home from work every day to be greeted by their wiggly lil butts and they are so happy to see you and you are so happy to see them and snuggle or play tug of war - it's all worth it.

When they stand guard or follow you just to be near you (even to the bathroom) and you'll find them always at your feet - it's all worth it.

When you look into their eyes and you feel the love they have for you and you for them - it's all worth it.

You'll wonder how you ever lived without him or her. Nothing lasts forever and one day we all have to say goodbye but even that's temporary if you believe you will meet again. I dread the day I have to go thru this with my babies but despite the pain I know I will have to face the happiness they've brought to my life is MOST DEFINITELY ALL WORTH IT.

Good luck and best regards on your search!

Cheerio mates!

Likes (Received)

They are so worth it! Unless you are absolutely sure you want a puppy, you can also look into Bulldog rescues. We got Jackson from a rescue and he was already house trained and knew basic commands. Also, he has very few health problems (thank God) and nothing serious that can't be handled. Please don't get a bulldog if you are not 100% sure that you want one. That is how they end up in shelters and rescues. They are a time and financial committment, but they are soooo worth it!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lupe (or Lulu)
    Likes (Received)

Short answer: are they worth it? Yes a thousand times.

But you are so smart to ask the question. We're postponing another b/c we want to plan financially and for travel.

I'm sure you realize whether it's human, canine, cooking, houses...people use forums to solve problems, so, naturally, you'll see more problems than not...I just had back surgery that according to spine forums was "the worst" and I'm doing GREAT. But In terms of problems, our particular dog has overall been average--we've had some behavior issues (stubborn) (but it's cute!), we've had some eye problems, so far the major health issue was something any breed can have (girl-part stuff).... more a breeder thing that he wouldn't have control of...just wish he had told us!

Some questions to think about:
    Do you have $5,000+ savings? Or good enough credit to get a "care card" (no interest Vet credit for 6 months). Probably won't need it, but more so than with, say, a Labrador. Or research insurance from the start.

Willing to limit travel? Some bullies do okay in boarding kennels or with pet-sitters, some don't. But I can almost guarantee you will not want to leave her.

Ready to fall completely and hopelessly in love? Ready to have a sudden connection with every single bully owner you meet? Ready to have kids stop you on the street and not let you go? Ready to give up some major real estate in your bed? Then hop on! Git going! It'll change your life.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't trade my time with any of the 5 Bulldogs I've loved and lost over the years. My 5 year old Ruggles is very healthy. I'm looking at OEBs because it is possible to get a Bulldog without the breathing problems that lead to so many other issues!

Bulldog Vet in Training LaurenA's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rook
    Likes (Received)

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a lot of nos on this forum.

For us, a bully was my husbands choice of dog. He had wanted one for years, and we decided after we got married would be the best time. So I started researching the breed and like you, I started second guessing if a bully was worth it. I was worried about all the health concerns and if we would make the best parents for a bully because they seemed to require a lot of work.

My husband was already living and working in Montreal and I joined him about a month after we got married. Even with all the concerns Adam was certain that a bully was for us. He had been researching breeders, and on the day I arrived in Montreal he announced that he found a breeder he liked and we were going to go meet her the next weekend. We spent several hours at the breeders house, getting to know her, and playing with her bullies. She was absolutely wonderful and she was interviewing us just as much as we were interviewing her. As luck would have it, she had just mated one of her females and the sire was still there staying with her, so we got to meet the parents of our future pup.

So here we are a year later, and we have the most amazing boy ever (who is currently in the process of unloading all his toys on to my lap so I will put down the iPad and play with him instead). So far he has been a healthy boy, knock on wood. I think I have a tendency to fuss over him, and worry about the minor issues, because this is our first bully and I'm still slightly nervous that one of those nasty healthy issues will surface at any time. And then I come on EBN, and get whatever advice I need, and continue loving on our bully.

I am so greatful we have Rook in our life, so happy my husband insisted that this was the dog for us, and very glad we found a good breeder whose main focus is breeding healthy happy pups. I feel like we were lucky to have been chosen by our goofy little boy ( I swear he claimed us when we first went to meet his litter ), and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

We've had a variety of dogs over the years..purebreds and mixed breeds. Rescues off the street and humane society. Paid good money for a few and more good money for Jake..our first bulldog. He is 18 months old and in perfect health! Our vet bills with him consist of puppy shots..neutering..removing a tick..3 Bee stings...and a couple checks for his insatiable hunger for inedible objects! We joke we've paid to add a wing on to our Vets..and those thousands were spent on mixed breeds and rescues..NOT on Jake! There is no guarantee on their health. But I guarantee you will fall totally in love and your worries now will be a distant memory. But the love will last a lifetime..

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member Trod1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olive, Oscar
    Likes (Received)

I was in your place about 5 months ago wanting a bully very badly but a bit hesitant because of the issues you hear when researching the breed. Olive became part of the family the end of April. She is 7 mos old this week and she is a joy to our family. she joined our 12 year old Chocolate Lab. We love her beyond what I can tell you. As a fairly new Bully owner, here are a few word of advice I can give you:
    Buy pet insurance so you have the reassurance that you can financially handle any unforeseen expensive medical issue.
    Find a good reputable breeder. Although there is no 100% guarantee of good health, an excellent breeder has health as a top priority and breeds to improve bloodlines. A good breeder will stay in touch with you and want to be a rescource to you.
    Get the puppy when you have the time to devote to your bully. It's like having a new baby initially. It's tiring. the time you put into your pup will be returned a million times through the snoring sounds, the lap cuddling and the laughs you will get from your pup. So to answer your questions....... Yes they are worth it!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I love how everyone jumped in and posted.

On a more serious note, if you're ready to make the following sacrifices, then a bully's for you:
    - wipe their bums after each poo session
    - give them your seat on the couch, even if you simply got up to get something in the fridge
    - give them your side of the bed
    - no more quiet nights, hello charming snores!
    - give them a piece of your fruit or veggie when they give you the bully look
    - scratch their butts whenever and wherever they want
    - no more alone time in the washroom

If you answered yes to all of the above, welcome to the family!
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I applaud you for researching this very special breed so carefully and for being so thoughtful about your decision process.
    But like so many have said, YES, absolutely, 100% worth it.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

WHen she steps on my foot and its black and blue for a week I wonder if she is worth it... LOL Or I get up in the middle of the night and I step on those hard little kibbles she leaves around the house I wonder if she is worth it.. LOL Or I get her to within two feet of the back door to go out and she runs back in the den and I have to go get her and carry her out I wonder if she is worth it.. LOL. Princess Gracie is 5.5 years old and has had very few problems. She gives more love than you could imagine a dog could give. She is our baby...:

Real Name
    Wendy Kerr
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
    Likes (Received)

I've had very few problems with Larry... other than basic stuff (yeast eat infections, one bout with allergies) He is SO worth all the work

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

They are worth it 1,000 times over!! We have been pretty lucky so far with Winston really just all routine visits to the vet besides one ear infection! All dogs can have their issues but these little guys are the most loving adorable dogs! I can't wait to go home to Winston everyday! They are worth every second no matter what! Good luck with your search!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads