Behavior question...

LulaMX

Mar 26, 2012
Tijuana, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
Hi guys / gals.. I've noticed that my bully doesn't bark when other dogs barks at her..
if it's a small dog, she just ignores them, the dog can be barking at her face and she doesn't even flinch..
when it's a larger dog she usually just stares at them (if they bark) and assumes a position that to me is like defensive (kind of lifts her chest, both front feet inward) but doesn't barks back, even when a dog tried to bite her, she just took a small step back and stayed put. A friend told me that she was just waiting for the right time to attack, which I doubt because my bully is only 7 months old and she is not a violent dog.

The other thing that I found out is that when other dogs sniff her she doesn't sniffs back at them..

Is this behavior normal on a bulldog?

Thanks.. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Count your blessings, it's nice she doesn't go crazy. Some dogs react to other dogs differently, it just depends on their demeanor and how they were socialized when they were young. She may not have a clue as how to act around another dog. Does she play with them? If she does then she just doesn't get excited when one is barking at her. To me that's a good thing, she keeps her cool.

OP
LulaMX

LulaMX

Mar 26, 2012
Tijuana, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
Davidh, thanks for the reply...
actually she doesn't have much contact with other dogs..
the dogs that the neighbors have are the small ones, really annoying, bark a lot and they tend to bite any one that crosses their path. .
the other dogs are big dogs, that most of the time are locked up so you can imagine how crazy are they (there are 2 labs, 1 rott and I think there are like 2 boxers)
so basically she doesn't play much with other dogs.. I just take her out to walk/run but at the time I go out there are no dogs outside, some times I get to see this guy with these 2 gorgeous Dogue de Bordeaux, one of them sniffs my Bully but she doesn't do anything.. the other dog (female I think) barks a lot and as I told you . she doesn't even blink.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Hi guys / gals.. I've noticed that my bully doesn't bark when other dogs barks at her..
if it's a small dog, she just ignores them, the dog can be barking at her face and she doesn't even flinch..
when it's a larger dog she usually just stares at them (if they bark) and assumes a position that to me is like defensive (kind of lifts her chest, both front feet inward) but doesn't barks back, even when a dog tried to bite her, she just took a small step back and stayed put. A friend told me that she was just waiting for the right time to attack, which I doubt because my bully is only 7 months old and she is not a violent dog.

The other thing that I found out is that when other dogs sniff her she doesn't sniffs back at them..

Is this behavior normal on a bulldog?

Thanks.. :)

I think you have another Dublin. She is just like that. Always has been and has never been a barker ( which I am super happy about) She is just letting them know that she is "not bothered by them" or as Davidh says "she may not have a clue" I can't believe for one moment that she is wating to pounce or attack. It sounds like you have a calm submissive girl there. Just look out for her so that she is not being taken advantage of, but she sounds like a wonderfully bully girl. It would be nice for her though if she could find some nice dogs that she can be friends with and picks up on their social cues. Boost her confidence a little.:2thumbs:

OP
LulaMX

LulaMX

Mar 26, 2012
Tijuana, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula
Well Dubbiedog, my wife made a "play date" the other day, with a guy we met on the park near our house, he also has a bully and there are not many people that owns a bully were we live, so we mde this play date and we weren't able to go, so I hope we ran into this guy again to make another play date, we don't want our bully to be able to socialize with other dogs.
Well now that I know that the behavior is normal, I won't worry any more :)

Thanks guys..

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Bubba has always been submissive. He never barks at other dogs, unless he is in his own yard. That is the ONLY time he ever barks. I have taken him to the off-leash dog park since he was little (around 11 wks and he is now 1 1/2 yrs). A few times there were dogs that jumped on him and just made a lot of ferocious sounding noises and were trying to egg him on. Whenever this happens, Bubba just lays there and doesn't do a thing! Thank God! Bubba does sniff other dogs a lot though. Maybe she doesn't know how to socialize with other dogs since she doesn't get the chance to socialize. Socialization, no matter if you are comfortable or not with a dog park, is key! There has got to be places dogs hang out near you, I hope.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.