A stupid question about 'that time of the month' from a guy...

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Somebody told us Molly (9 months old) has gone through her first heat... Is that possible that we didn't notice? They say she shows all the signs (Being the only male in a house of girls growing up i have learned to tune out for these types of discussions.. so i didn't hear what signs she was talking about).

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Gizmo went into heat 3 days before her Spay surgery... next to impossible not to notice with her. blood drops through out the kitchen and on the hardwood floor - not gushing. but you could tell someone was bleeding and moving. There is also an odor. (Newer car, taking Dog in Heat to Vet to be fixed. yea..there is an odor!, thank god for one of those Enzyme cleaning agents!)

Handiangie

Jul 12, 2012
Northern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
It's nearly impossible to miss a dog being in heat. EEEW. Lots of swelling and dripping that seems to o on for weeks and weeks. I don't think you really missed it. Maybe it just hasn't happened yet.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] if her va-jay-jay is swollen, she is about to go into heat, you can't miss it. It will be kinda messy, she can't keep it clean herself, I use diapers for dogs. Her bottom will be swollen for quite some time afterwards also. No need to take notes, you won't forget it.

Texkota

Jun 21, 2012
South Riding, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Renzo
I have male dogs, but I'm sure we will get females down the road, so thanks for starting the thread.

How long does the heat last?

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I don't think you could really miss it if she had been on heat, I remember when my female pug was on heat and she used to drip everywhere and had a strong iron smell when she came into season each time.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I have male dogs, but I'm sure we will get females down the road, so thanks for starting the thread.

How long does the heat last?

Abby just finished her "season". It lasted 2 weeks but I was told to expect it to be 3 weeks so I'm not sure if she's done yet.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
A dogs first heat can be what they call a "silent heat". The hormones are set off but they bleed so little or none at all. Also dogs heat cycle is usually around 6 months but some can also range from around 4 months to 10 months in between.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
A dogs first heat can be what they call a "silent heat". The hormones are set off but they bleed so little or none at all. Also dogs heat cycle is usually around 6 months but some can also range from around 4 months to 10 months in between.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], thanks.. this is kind of what we where told. That there was probably very little bleeding and we didn't notice.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], thanks.. this is kind of what we where told. That there was probably very little bleeding and we didn't notice.

Yes I learned this because Yuna did not go into her first REAL heat until she was around 14 months old. Which is virtually impossible, since she is spot on 6 months between. In her case I never saw any blood at all when she did the silent one.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online