Bruno arrives in the middle of the night

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
That poor baby has been in that van since Monday morning.. I feel so bad for him, the route they decided to take was to go north first then back west. It's too long, Katara came from Arkansas and it took them 3 days too.. Aldo came from east texas, only about a couple hours away from Bruno and he was here the next morning. I was hoping that would be the same route they would take with Bruno. Anyways, I have been calling them and supposedly he is doing good, that they are in love with him and getting lots of lap time with the techs.. When Katara got home after the long drive she had lost weight, so I am expecting the same with him..
My concern is this.. It will be the middle of the night, which is good in the sense that the human kids will be asleep so that's definitely a plus because they overexcite Aldo and Katara.. but A & K will also be asleep... how do I proceed with the interaction during night, should I just take them out for a potty break and have Bruno in the yard, the yard is very dark at night... or should I just bring Bruno to the room and put him in the crate and let them sniff him and deal with the formal interaction in the morning? I know that I have to introduce them to the pup one at a time and I am thinking Aldo first and Katara second.. but I still don't know yet.. I really was hoping to do this tuesday because I have to go to work on saturday and it doesnt seem like I will have a lot of time.. Or maybe I can introduce them in the kitchen or living room, which is an area that they do not consider as "theirs" as my room..

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hm im thinking a morning or next day introduction is in order here but im no expert. in a controlled setting and a neutral room and yea one at a time. oh im so excited cant wait to see pics. :peace2:

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
I'm impressed that your other dogs could sleep through that middle of the night....(hmm)... Commotion.

But if they do, probably better to do it in the morning.

But Pans a big chicken and would start spazzing out if he saw something in his yard, especially since our yard is very dark too.

Make sure you give us pics, so excited!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I do believe they will smell him before they see him. You're in charge, calm first and then assertive if necessary.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Doesn't matter what time of day or night it is ..... Aldo and Katara are going to know that something is going on and will be wide awake!!! It may even be to your advantage, because they will also be more tired than if it were a daytime intro and be more willing to settle and go back to sleep once the intros have been made.

I'm assuming that you already had a plan for the introduction, and if it were outside then it depends on how strong your outside lighting is. I would certainly more the intro inside into one of your neutral rooms as soon as possible because the light will be stronger there, and then you will be able to see the body language.

Whenever I have introduced a puppy, I have sat on the floor with the puppy between my legs then allowed one dog at a time to enter the room so the puppy is not overwhelmed. I have a certain order in which I do this because i know which of my dogs are the more tolerant and friendly. As soon as one of the dogs has accepted the puppy and had a good smell all over, I then allow a second dog to be allowed into the room and so on. By having the puppy between my legs I am claiming it as mine, and how close the other dogs get to the puppy can be controlled by me. The most important thing is that Aldo and Katara get the message that this puppy is YOURS as the pack leader.

Generally, a puppy is the easiest to introduce to any household. The other dogs will immediately recognise that this is a baby and so no threat to them. It's always good to be careful, but I would be suprised if either of them have an issue to a baby coming in. An older dog, maybe, but not something as young as Bruno!!

Good luck and ........ RELAX!!!! Everything is going to be just fine!!! :yes:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have no idea what to do because I havent been through it but I would like pics ASAP no matter the time of day!:peace2:

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Doesn't matter what time of day or night it is ..... Aldo and Katara are going to know that something is going on and will be wide awake!!! It may even be to your advantage, because they will also be more tired than if it were a daytime intro and be more willing to settle and go back to sleep once the intros have been made.

I'm assuming that you already had a plan for the introduction, and if it were outside then it depends on how strong your outside lighting is. I would certainly more the intro inside into one of your neutral rooms as soon as possible because the light will be stronger there, and then you will be able to see the body language.

Whenever I have introduced a puppy, I have sat on the floor with the puppy between my legs then allowed one dog at a time to enter the room so the puppy is not overwhelmed. I have a certain order in which I do this because i know which of my dogs are the more tolerant and friendly. As soon as one of the dogs has accepted the puppy and had a good smell all over, I then allow a second dog to be allowed into the room and so on. By having the puppy between my legs I am claiming it as mine, and how close the other dogs get to the puppy can be controlled by me. The most important thing is that Aldo and Katara get the message that this puppy is YOURS as the pack leader.

Generally, a puppy is the easiest to introduce to any household. The other dogs will immediately recognise that this is a baby and so no threat to them. It's always good to be careful, but I would be suprised if either of them have an issue to a baby coming in. An older dog, maybe, but not something as young as Bruno!!

Good luck and ........ RELAX!!!! Everything is going to be just fine!!! :yes:
thank you Karen, you are such a great resource.. I am trying to relax... lol!! it's going to be one loooong day... the lighting outside is awful at night.. I will need to introduce them in the living room then.. I will put Bruno in his little crate; crate will be in between my legs... Katara will sniff, when she calms down, I will remove him from the crate, keep him between my legs and let her sniff him good.. lol.. then I will put him back in the crate, take Katara to her crate.. go back to the living room, and start over with Aldo.. once Aldo sniffs him good.. then I will let Katara out and let them both interact.. I am expecting this to take me the whole night.. good thing I work nights and am used to being up.. it's handy in times like this.. then I will put Bruno back in his crate, take A & K to potty, then back to their crates, then Bruno to potty.. then back to his crate, bring the crate to our room.. and then something similar in the morning.. except it should be a bit faster.. does this sound like a good plan? [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have no wisdom here, just bugging you for PICS:tease: and wishing all goes as planned!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
thank you Karen, you are such a great resource.. I am trying to relax... lol!! it's going to be one loooong day... the lighting outside is awful at night.. I will need to introduce them in the living room then.. I will put Bruno in his little crate; crate will be in between my legs... Katara will sniff, when she calms down, I will remove him from the crate, keep him between my legs and let her sniff him good.. lol.. then I will put him back in the crate, take Katara to her crate.. go back to the living room, and start over with Aldo.. once Aldo sniffs him good.. then I will let Katara out and let them both interact.. I am expecting this to take me the whole night.. good thing I work nights and am used to being up.. it's handy in times like this.. then I will put Bruno back in his crate, take A & K to potty, then back to their crates, then Bruno to potty.. then back to his crate, bring the crate to our room.. and then something similar in the morning.. except it should be a bit faster.. does this sound like a good plan? @2BullyMama @dozersmama @JeannieCO
It sounds good but if it was me after they're all introduced I would put Bruno down and stay close. They also need to inspect him without you holding him. Like [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] said, it doesn't matter if it's day or night, A&K will be wide awake, they don't keep people hours and you'd be surprised how many times a dog moves in the next when where fast asleep. Both A&K probably won't like being put back in their crates and may even bark in an excited matter. That's what my boys do when the excitement is high - almost makes it worse. After a couple of days everyone will settle in. He's going to be so small compared to them and just A&K's size can hurt him when they're up and playing around. That's what I really had to watch with Emma the firsr couple of months. It's work but good work.

Can't wait to see little guy. :D

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] relax, expect good things. enjoy the meeting, they can read you.

YOU DA MAMA :)

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I am sooo excited for another member of OUR new baby bully pack to come onboard. Think about all the new additions we have lately with Renzo and Bertha sharing the same exact birthday!!

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I am sooo excited for another member of OUR new baby bully pack to come onboard. Think about all the new additions we have lately with Renzo and Bertha sharing the same exact birthday!!
I know!! I am soooo super excited!! It will be fun to see them grow "together"

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.