Deer/Elk Antlers

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Unfortunately, none of the local pet stores carry antlers and Ellie Mae has really enjoyed her first deer antler. In fact, over the past week, she has been chewing on it like crazy. I was wondering where on line would be reputable. I saw that PetFlow carries them, but only saw 1 size. Another question, several family members and a few friends are avid hunters for the deer meat as opposed to trophies and offered antlers from any kills later in the year. Is there any preparation prior to giving the to our EB that should be done if I'm given antlers?

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I suggest Amazon. The've got just about everything covered. Don't know about the preparation process.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
No preparation needed. Just give it to them and let them enjoy. Not sure if carolinapetpantry.com carries they or not (can't recall). I used a company called Bare Bones Dog Chews - you can put that info google and their website will pull up. I met them at our Denver Dumb Friends League Furry Scurry this year and they have great prices and varying sizes. I bought two from them and was quite pleased. I'll personally be ordering from them again.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
I would personally dip them in boiling water to kill any germs or bacteria. Don't boil them for an extended period of time though

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
I would personally dip them in boiling water to kill any germs or bacteria. Don't boil them for an extended period of time though

I would probably at least do that. I was wondering if throwing them in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes or so would be a bad idea.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
And I'll check out the Bare Bones Dog Chews, Jeannie. Thanks!

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
[MENTION=4890]spork3127[/MENTION]

I wouldn't. When you cook bones they become brittle and can break off in sharp splinters.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i feed sarah bravo chicken breast freeze dried bites and pooch passions beef liver freeze dried. my bostons get them to. they love them.

Texkota

Jun 21, 2012
South Riding, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Renzo
I would probably at least do that. I was wondering if throwing them in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes or so would be a bad idea.

Never give your bully, or any dog for that matter, cooked bones. Cooked bones get hard and splinter when eaten, could very easily kill your pup.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i give my dogs deer antlers they love them. i just give them to them. even sarah eats them sometimes. they werent real thrilled when i took the rawhides away after i knew better. they dont really like nylabones but will eat the antlers really good. :)

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't even think of the cooking aspect. Thanks for jogging my memory. I was just thinking if I was given some antlers later in the year from a deer kill not wanting them to have any parasites on them.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh don't do that. Cooking the bone weakens and they can break and splinter which could acually kill your dog if swallowed.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I use harvested antlers... Spray em with the pressure washer to em up, Chop em up on the mitre saw and let Kain chew em up!

I read a brief boil in soup base to re-kindle there smell for like 2 mins or so is good to get them chewing it again if need be but like above said, don't cook them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.