Thread: Nervous about moving

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Default Nervous about moving

So, I get the keys to our new house tomorrow. We are going to drop off a few things and put up curtains, etc. Our big move will be Monday, Beefy and Johnny will get to see their new home. I'm soooo nervous. I know Johnny will adjust ok because he's only 9 weeks old. Beefy on the other hand is not going to like this. He hates everything new and barks like a mad man and does everything he can to avoid the situation. He's use to living in the country where he has 3 acres that was fenced off to play in but now he's going to have a smaller yard. He's also use to no traffic but now we will be living in a neighborhood that I'm sure sees lots of traffic. (Although, Beefy will get to stalk Matilda!). I have wanted to take him to the house before so he could check it out but it's 3 hrs away from where I live now. Plus when we go to the new town we always have a ton of things to do and it's just way too hot for him. Ughh, I'm a wreck. Am I freaking out over nothing?

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nervous about moving

It's easier for them if you can stay with them for a week or so before leaving them alone in the house. Familiar furniture and stuff helps too, but your company would make the transition much easier.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Well, moving is definitely a challenge for both humans and pets. It's one of the top most stressful things we go through. That said, I think you need to relax about the move as much as you can b/c Beefy is probably picking up on all your nervous energy. When you do get situated in your new home, take some extra time to walk Beefy around his new house and his new yard, maybe while he's on a leash. If he's crate trained, already have his crate all cozy for him in a particular spot in the house, with all his toys and his familiar blankets surrounding him. And if you have to leave him at home alone, try doing it in small increments at first so that he gets used to being in his new house by himself.

you can do this! good luck!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guy! I'm going to try everyone's ideas, maybe this will go smoother than I had thought.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Just wanted to update. I took Beefy and Johnny to the new house yesterday to "visit." Johnny of course didn't mind but I think Beefy really likes the new house. He ran around the house checking everything out but he seemed really happy. I feel tons better about our Monday move now.

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on the new home

You've already gotten some great advise. I have nothing to add, I'll be going through the same thing in a month. I think it's going to be fine.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

oh congrats on your new home. thats awsome. yea sometimes i think we stress over small things and it turns out to be ok in the end.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jen74401 View Post
    Just wanted to update. I took Beefy and Johnny to the new house yesterday to "visit." Johnny of course didn't mind but I think Beefy really likes the new house. He ran around the house checking everything out but he seemed really happy. I feel tons better about our Monday move now.

That just put a big ole grin on my face. I love happy endings
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats on the new home! Hope Beefy settles in quick! BRutus is the same way does not like change at all!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on the new house, sounds like Beefy and Johnny are going to love it. Good idea taking them to visit!

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone! Things didn't go as smooth as we had hoped. After loading the truck in 105+ degrees for 4 hours on Monday, we drive the 3 hrs to the new house. I was really hoping to be able to pull up and get the kennels in the house so the dogs could lounge in the a.c. while we unloaded the truck. I walk inside the house with Beefy and realize that it was 97 degrees in the house. The a.c. had stopped working. The warranty department sent out an a.c. guy who said it would take 2 days to get the part needed to fix it. I rushed out and bought a window unit to try to keep the dogs cool. Needless to say, the last couple of days have been pretty miserable. The a.c. is now fixed, we have internet, the dogs are happy but I have a 3 car garage that is packed full with boxes and I have no idea where to start. Sighhh.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

@jen74401...so sorry things didn't go smoothly, I especially hate summer moves!

We moved 3 months ago, 3 hrs down the road and my Mother fell the NEXT DAY after
    move in, we spent 8 hrs in ER and Mother spent the next 2 months in bed (fractured
    pelvis) then 3 wks barely getting around...I've only now begun to see what the town
    has to offer, these last 3 weeks.

Hope all is great going from now on

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Remove Ads