Nervous about moving

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
So, I get the keys to our new house tomorrow. We are going to drop off a few things and put up curtains, etc. Our big move will be Monday, Beefy and Johnny will get to see their new home. I'm soooo nervous. I know Johnny will adjust ok because he's only 9 weeks old. Beefy on the other hand is not going to like this. He hates everything new and barks like a mad man and does everything he can to avoid the situation. He's use to living in the country where he has 3 acres that was fenced off to play in but now he's going to have a smaller yard. He's also use to no traffic but now we will be living in a neighborhood that I'm sure sees lots of traffic. (Although, Beefy will get to stalk Matilda!). I have wanted to take him to the house before so he could check it out but it's 3 hrs away from where I live now. Plus when we go to the new town we always have a ton of things to do and it's just way too hot for him. Ughh, I'm a wreck. Am I freaking out over nothing?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It's easier for them if you can stay with them for a week or so before leaving them alone in the house. Familiar furniture and stuff helps too, but your company would make the transition much easier.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, moving is definitely a challenge for both humans and pets. It's one of the top most stressful things we go through. That said, I think you need to relax about the move as much as you can b/c Beefy is probably picking up on all your nervous energy. When you do get situated in your new home, take some extra time to walk Beefy around his new house and his new yard, maybe while he's on a leash. If he's crate trained, already have his crate all cozy for him in a particular spot in the house, with all his toys and his familiar blankets surrounding him. And if you have to leave him at home alone, try doing it in small increments at first so that he gets used to being in his new house by himself.

you can do this! good luck!

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Thanks guy! I'm going to try everyone's ideas, maybe this will go smoother than I had thought.

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Just wanted to update. I took Beefy and Johnny to the new house yesterday to "visit." Johnny of course didn't mind but I think Beefy really likes the new house. He ran around the house checking everything out but he seemed really happy. I feel tons better about our Monday move now.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Congratulations on the new home :)

You've already gotten some great advise. I have nothing to add, I'll be going through the same thing in a month. I think it's going to be fine.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh congrats on your new home. thats awsome. yea sometimes i think we stress over small things and it turns out to be ok in the end. :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Just wanted to update. I took Beefy and Johnny to the new house yesterday to "visit." Johnny of course didn't mind but I think Beefy really likes the new house. He ran around the house checking everything out but he seemed really happy. I feel tons better about our Monday move now.

That just put a big ole grin on my face. I love happy endings

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Congrats on the new home! Hope Beefy settles in quick! BRutus is the same way does not like change at all!

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Congratulations on the new house, sounds like Beefy and Johnny are going to love it. Good idea taking them to visit!

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Thanks everyone! Things didn't go as smooth as we had hoped. After loading the truck in 105+ degrees for 4 hours on Monday, we drive the 3 hrs to the new house. I was really hoping to be able to pull up and get the kennels in the house so the dogs could lounge in the a.c. while we unloaded the truck. I walk inside the house with Beefy and realize that it was 97 degrees in the house. The a.c. had stopped working. The warranty department sent out an a.c. guy who said it would take 2 days to get the part needed to fix it. I rushed out and bought a window unit to try to keep the dogs cool. Needless to say, the last couple of days have been pretty miserable. The a.c. is now fixed, we have internet, the dogs are happy but I have a 3 car garage that is packed full with boxes and I have no idea where to start. Sighhh.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=4339]jen74401[/MENTION]...so sorry things didn't go smoothly, I especially hate summer moves!

We moved 3 months ago, 3 hrs down the road and my Mother fell the NEXT DAY after
move in, we spent 8 hrs in ER and Mother spent the next 2 months in bed (fractured
pelvis) then 3 wks barely getting around...I've only now begun to see what the town
has to offer, these last 3 weeks.

Hope all is great going from now on
:2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.