Potty Training

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
Hello all,
I just want to ask at what age did you bullie start to pick up potty training? Marly is 14 Weeks and still has not picked it up yet.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Sorry, I'm not sure. It's been so long since Samson was a baby it seems like I don't even remember! I know alot of people on here have puppies and I'm sure once they read this they can give you more info. By the way, Marly is SOOO cute and I love that name :heart::bully:

OP
Dan75208

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
I crate her and walk her about 5-7 times a day outside. The only thing is that I live in a high rise building so when I open my front door I still need to walk a quarter mile so I can be outside which she almost never makes it.

Thanks TessaandSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Photobucket

I crate her and walk her about 5-7 times a day outside. The only thing is that I live in a high rise building so when I open my front door I still need to walk a quarter mile so I can be outside which she almost never makes it.

Thanks TessaandSamson

No problem, ahhhhhh I remember the days of having a puppy in an apartment. Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awww she is a cutie patootie!!!

:heart: her sweet little face!

What helped me when my pups were young was to set a timer, I did this on my cell phone. It would go off every 2 hours and I would take them out. Then I would increase it after a week or two to 2.5 hours, then 3, then 3.5, then 4, then 4.5, then 5, ect.

Them understanding NOT to do it in the house is usually a problem. They want to pee in the house, to mark it as territory and very natural/instinctive. Keep reinforcing anger at the mess itself is working for me with my Yuna, who was trained but then decided to not be. LOL

I freeeeeeeaaak out at the mess in the house. (overly dramatic, disgust, omg, this is awful, so horrible, how could this happen? Disgusting! Oh no! Why? Do some fake crys like it is a tragedy)

But I never direct it at Yuna. Since I have been doing this there is less accidents, and where there is it is because she very much had to go potty...

As far as the age is concerned, some get it very early, even as early as 8 weeks, and some don't get it until later. Just depends on the dedication of the owner with the training.

Best of luck, cannot wait for more pics of your baby!

Afterthought: Perhaps carry her down the stairs until she is better at holding it?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I haven't ever lived in a highrise so don't know if this is a good idea or not..but what I thought of, so I'm throwing it out there as an idea......I'm taking it for granted by what you said about her being in a crate but not making it as far as getting clear outside. Would it be possible to put her crate on a wagon and pull her outside in the crate until you get to the potty area..then let her out where she can GO, do it this way until she get's some control? Perhaps without the added "excitement" of being let out of the crate she could hold it till you got her out there crate and all.

That said...if I did live in a highrise with a dog..I'd really want to look into what would be needed to teach them how to use a toilet. ;) I can see it now....doggy steps leaning against a toilet so that a short legged bully could back up over the hole...LOL

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My baby was awful until he hit 16 weeks and things got a lot better after that. Just be patient - things will get much, much better in a couple weeks as the puppy matures and is more able to hold it. All three of mine were trained by 16/17 weeks, so don't despair!

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
You know Olaf grew up in a house so we could just easily open the back door for him and I cant remember how long it took him but I do know it was quite a while. He did have a few accidents in his crate too. Once he got the hang of it we moved out into an apt and it was like potty training all over again because now he had to "ask" to go as our patio is not closed off so we cannot just keep a door cracked or use a doggy door. We moved when he was 7 months. He did have a few accidents but eventually got the hang of it. I always thought about doing the bell thing but never got around to it. Olaf just stands at the door. Sometimes he will bug you when he wants to go but if he just stands there and you dont notice after a while he will just go (although it's been forever since he has done that). Now we have Miss Ivana and again we are starting from scratch! She is used to a doggie door. She has been more difficult. We are walking them very frequently and trying to get her "excited" about going potty. I may actually pick up a bell today tho cause I think it would be very useful!

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
Ooh my goodness! Marly is just TOO CUTE!! She's Adorable!
I would say the key to potty training is patience.. unfortunatly. :( When we got Chelios I lived at my mom's && it was easier for him just to scratch the door to go. By about 12-14 weeks we was practicly potty trained. But then I moved out into an apt && it was a bit harder he did have a few accidents but it was rare. Now my little Faithy girl is just turned 5months a few days ago && STILL isn't potty trained. :/ No matter how early I pick up her water bowl before bed or how many times we walk her she still AlwAys ends up having an accident.. :eek: So discipline, letting her know not to do that && puppy pads have been a huge help. Especially those puppy pads cuz if she's ganna have an accident at least its not on the carpet. lol I wish you the best of luck Dan! Marly will soon get the hang of it. It takes some longer then other but within time she'll get it! ;) try using puppy pads! :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Ooh my goodness! Marly is just TOO CUTE!! She's Adorable!
I would say the key to potty training is patience.. unfortunatly. :( When we got Chelios I lived at my mom's && it was easier for him just to scratch the door to go. By about 12-14 weeks we was practicly potty trained. But then I moved out into an apt && it was a bit harder he did have a few accidents but it was rare. Now my little Faithy girl is just turned 5months a few days ago && STILL isn't potty trained. :/ No matter how early I pick up her water bowl before bed or how many times we walk her she still AlwAys ends up having an accident.. :eek: So discipline, letting her know not to do that && puppy pads have been a huge help. Especially those puppy pads cuz if she's ganna have an accident at least its not on the carpet. lol I wish you the best of luck Dan! Marly will soon get the hang of it. It takes some longer then other but within time she'll get it! ;) try using puppy pads! :)

[MENTION=735]Kikiwhoa21[/MENTION] As you know, Truman (who is almost 5 months) was also pretty slow, in my mind anyway, to be potty trained. We're still working on it but almost there. I know it's probably a billion times harder in a carpeted apartment but I found when I took the puppy pads away, he stopped going in his crate when I was out. He did much better without them. I know it's not possible for everyone but I was surprised it helped speed things up although I am sure in a high rise apartment, they would be incredibly useful, as you point out.

OP
Dan75208

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
Marly turns 15 weeks today. Shes getting old!!!! Anywho I took her training pads away completely and I didnt have an accident all weekend. She seems to be doing a little better. I hope she keeps up and gets used to walking 1/4 of a mile after walking out my front door.

dozersmom

Jun 19, 2010
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel /- Dozer RIP
Hi everyone, i know we are having a time with Diesel too.. he is 16 weeks. He will go outside, and play and walk and potty ~ Then come in the house and SNEAK and potty again ! grrrrrr what is THAT about :eek: anyway your pup is absolutely adoreaBULL !!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Marly is a cutie! My girls are also 16 weeks old, and we're "getting there". Gertie is better than Ida, but then Gertie has been with us a lot longer. We brought Gertie home at 6 weeks old, but didn't get Ida til about 11 weeks old. I'm having a better time now that it's cooling off, which I know this wouldn't help you with the apt. situation. They're just staying out longer and it seems to help with the idea that they don't go in the house. It sounds like she is making progress.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.