Boy or Girl... Advice please and I know I'm in the right place

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Okay, have to hide this post from my hubby ( for now :)) but I am seriously considering adopting a rescue. Did i really say that???:loco: I wanted my first to be a rescue but felt as this was our first dog that I needed the experience of raising a puppy and learning as much as I could about the breed. I didnt' think it would be fair to my family our the dog that we would take into our home. I did go through the paperwork procedure for adoption and was accepted but felt it was not the time, Sooo that takes us to now and the nearly two years we have had our precious Dublin. Though I spent months of research and felt I found the right breeder we have had many health issues to deal with and I feel more than qualified to say " I can do this"

I want our family's addition to be a resuce for many reasons. I know I could make a difference in the life of a dog left behind. As much as my heart melts when I see the stunning puppies on this site, I don't want to go down the puppy road again.:nonono: My priority first and foremost is Dublin. She is the most gentle sweet little girl who is very submissive but loves to play and is very sociable. I think she would love a friend. What opinions do you guys have on that? I love to watch the videos of bullies playing together and in a way feel that Dublin misses out. Coming up to her 2nd birthday, is that a good age to introduce a new dog? I really want to know is adding a male or female the best way to go and why? I don't mind the age of the dog but it has to get along with Dublin and vice versa. I can take on a dog with some minor medical issues but with all that we have been through with Dublin ( and not knowing what is coming next) I can't take on major health problems. As you all can see I am taking this venture very seriously and so I do need everyone's help in coming to a decision.
We work out of our home so we are here most of the day, leaving a few hours at a time. We love the outdoors and boating and when we can we bring Dublin with us.
She is recovering slowly but nicely from her surgery and we should be able to move forward with a rescue at the end of the Summer. We live in Florida and are willing to travel anywhere in the state to find the newest family member:). I am looking forward to all of the advice and opinions that I know I will receive here. Also if anyone knows of a EB that needs a home and fits the above criteria I would be more than willing to talk to them. Thanks.

:help1:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
This goes without saying, but remember to bring Dublin with you when you visit the foster home.
No one here can decide for you as bringing home a second family member is your family's personal decision..
Good Luck with whatever you decide.

For myself, I would love my Jack to have another bully to play with but i know my limitations and to be honest, my hands are full..!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Someone used my computer and Posted the above reply. ..

Listen, pick a BOY. Girls are nothing but trouble.....

and I'm telling your hubby EVERYTHING.... ! :tease:

Gizmosmama

Jul 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo
I love my girl, I got her at six months and at that time we had a 4 year old male boxer. He was high strung (like most boxers) but he was well trained and never had difficulty with other dogs. I will never forget the breader bringing Gizmo in the door, she was about 25lb's at the time, she looked at this big white Boxer and turned back and exited through the door. It was hillarious! We got them together and they were the best of friends. Casper got very ill a few years back and we had to have him put down, which broke all of our hearts but especially Gizmo's. To this day she will not play with any of the toys. We rescued a male beagle about a week after Casper was gone hoping to perk Gizmo up but I think she feels like he's more of a pain than her buddy. They get along but they don't play like Casper and Gizmo did. I was surprized at how many bulldog owners had a boxer as well. Perhaps a week to test out the relationship would be an option. If we had taken the first que when Gizmo turned around at the front door they would have never had their very happy years together. Dublin needs a buddy:)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer when you're asking whether to get a boy or a girl. It's going to be on an individual basis ...... you are going to see a picture of a rescue that somehow just catches your eye. Go through the adoption process, until you meet this paticular bully and then you are going to know if it is "right" or not.

Just go with your gut ............ but YES definitely get a rescue!!! :2thumbs:

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I love my girl, I got her at six months and at that time we had a 4 year old male boxer. He was high strung (like most boxers) but he was well trained and never had difficulty with other dogs. I will never forget the breader bringing Gizmo in the door, she was about 25lb's at the time, she looked at this big white Boxer and turned back and exited through the door. It was hillarious! We got them together and they were the best of friends. Casper got very ill a few years back and we had to have him put down, which broke all of our hearts but especially Gizmo's. To this day she will not play with any of the toys. We rescued a male beagle about a week after Casper was gone hoping to perk Gizmo up but I think she feels like he's more of a pain than her buddy. They get along but they don't play like Casper and Gizmo did. I was surprized at how many bulldog owners had a boxer as well. Perhaps a week to test out the relationship would be an option. If we had taken the first que when Gizmo turned around at the front door they would have never had their very happy years together. Dublin needs a buddy:)

I think what I'm hearing from everyone is that we all need to meet and see how it goes. I have not thougth of a male as I have a husband, two sons and a male 20lb Maine Coon cat and had enough male energy in my life:nonono: but have come to "love" so many of the antics of the male bullies on EBN that I may have a change of heart.. It is more finding a compatible friend for Dublin and a good fit for our new addition and the family. I will definitely persue a rescue in the near future and see where it takes me. Keep all of the advice coming, Thanks

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin

I beg to differ:tongue: I have been surrounded by male energy until Dublin came and while she can be quite the Diva, she is wonderful. Any other male that comes into this house better be lovin the girls:laugh: P.S. the hubby knows now:tease:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Instinctively, from listening to you describe Dubbie and describing your male
energy household and even tho her 1st love was your male boxer, I'm feeling
you and Dubbie need another sweet girl bully
:peace2:

Also, it's not a rescue BUT you might consider a breeder's retired queens and
especially the ones retired after a couple of litters, two or three years old.
You'd be able to have a better idea of their personality & temperment and HEY,
they need good homes too! My 1st bully is a 3yr old, male Bully that needed a
home when his Momma adopted twin 2 year olds (she's a nurse too), he's such
a sweet, mellow boy (almost TOO mellow, lol) but here a month and we LOVE
him
:heart: You'll know when you find 'the one', good luck! Texas Carol & Brutie

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would say a girl but that is because for me I have a mental block to boy dogs! I know it sounds funny but when I was searching for a EB I tried keeping a open mind but never was thrilled with the idea of a boy. I would say just let your Dubbie choose and see who she gets along with. Good luck!

hughesjo

Jun 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Boys are best :heart:. Get a beautiful boy for her to play with and let love blossom.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
When Bea was six months old, I completed all the paperwork for rescue at CBRR, and sat back to wait patiently for the "best fit" for us. I wanted a girl. When Bo became available at rescue, they called me. I couldn't say "yes" fast enough.

I think when you are completely open to possibility --- and do the footwork required --- the right dog finds YOU. Maybe it's luck? Maybe it's coincidence? I don't know -- but if you want it and it's right, it will happen.

Good luck on your quest!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???

lmao
I would chose a boy, You are less likely to have dominance issues between a male and female than you are 2 females.

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
lmao
I would chose a boy, You are less likely to have dominance issues between a male and female than you are 2 females.

That was one of the issues I was concerned with. I will look at both and if and when we meet with the other dog I will see what kind of interaction there is between it and Dublin. My brother has 3 dogs and the two females are the best of friends and the male is on the outside looking. Guess it is hard to know.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.