HELP!!! The Seamus has arrived

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Hi all .. we picked Seamus up yesterday morning from the breeder. He did great on the drive home (3 hours) and did really well getting used to his collar, leash and the apartment. He didn't like the elevator at first but he is doing pretty well now.

I need help with a few things:

1) How much water should I be giving him each day? He seems like he would drink everything I put down in front of him but then obviously needs to go out to the bathroom like 20-30 mins later. I would prefer to monitor and regulate how much water he is getting but don't want him to get dehydrated.

2) He hates his crate. He is crying sooo much. We put him in there last night to sleep and he would cry for a solid 20-30 mins then go to sleep for about 2.5 hours then I would take him out and then he would cry again. The cycle would repeat itself. Is this normal?

3) How much food should I be giving him? Our breeder had him on Taste of the Wild Puppy formula (or the Bison purple bag if they were out of Puppy formula). She was giving him 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 cups in the evening. He is 3 months old today. Is that okay? His poops seem a little bit soft (like soft serve) but I wasn't sure if it was from the amount of food or the fact that we had to bribe him with treats yesterday to get him into the elevator and outside and stuff.

4) Potty training. Our breeder had him in a X-pen with a doggy door so he is used to going out whenever he wants. Plus she said he made it through the night okay but I suspect that she doesn't realize that the puppies were probably getting up in the middle of the night to play or go to the bathroom. I had to take him out at least every 3 hours. I tried to make it to 4 and woke up to pee and poo in the crate. Should I stick to every 3 hours and 20 mins after he eats or has water?

Thanks for your help!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Going to let the experts here answer your questions but I do know Seamus
is a handsome boy...I know you are proud! Congratulations!! Texas Carol

It seems everyone this morning has a new puppy but me...excuse me, I'm
going to go sulk in my crate.
:shout:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Congrats, you must be so excited! I know I would be!

Check this video in youtube about introducing the crate to your puppy and making it a nice place to be. Were you in the same room at night? In his first night at a new place it's good that he sees that somebody is there. Earplugs have saved my nights many times.

Positive house training with a crate / teacher's pet with Victoria Stilwell

Theoreticaly he should be able to go 4 hours without peeing (1hour/1 month of age +1hour), but it's better in the beginning to start with only 2 hours and then gradually work it up.

I would let him drink as much as he needs, you can take the bowl away for the night, but when you're there you can take him out when needed.
[h=1][/h]

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Oh come on!!!! We NEED more than one small avatar pic!!!! He certainly is a cutie from what I can see.. ;)

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Yes we tried to put the crate in a different room but that did not work at all. He was in our bedroom with a blanket over top half of it and then he could see us out of part of it. I think it was too big last night (we have a divided). I made it smaller so hopefully that will avoid the accidents.

I am heading to the vet tomorrow so hopefully everything is okay with him. I will try and post more pictures soon! I am exhausted!

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I so love the name Seamus!! I am still struggling with Bertha with crate training and potty training, even with all the advice. Last night she peed twice in her crate, which is new for her. She also peed when I took her out. It's like this process of figuring out human error vs puppy needs!!I am going to watch the video [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] mentioned as well

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think they first few nights are going to be hard! If you are home during the day leave the crate door open so he can go in and out as he pleases and start getting used to it. Also when I get Lola I plan on putting her in there for naps even if she falls asleep on the couch or on me I will carry her and put her in there. Im not sure about the amount of food you are giving him seems like a lot but Im not a expert so I couldnt tell you. I know it says on here 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup 3 times a day but at his age im not sure if the amount goes up I will wait for [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] gets on here she will know how to help. But congrates on the new puppy and :pics:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm going to touch in on the crate. Don't put the crate in another room for his night time crate. They're pack animals and need to be with you. Put the crate as close to your bed as you can so you can touch it. Put a light weight blanket/sheet over it at night so he's fully covered and cannot see you. He's going to whine, he's a puppy. One of the BEST training tips I read before I got Wilson was crate training. Here's what you do.

When he starts to whine, NO NOT LET HIM OUT! What you want to do is reach down and put your fingers through the crate and touch him and let him touch you. He's still going to whine a bit but he should settle in and fall asleep. They just want to know you're there. The next few months are going to be tiring. Puppies are just like babies, they take a lot of time and energy during this phase.

Hang in there! Buzz me if you need anymore tips on crating. :D

Last edited:
OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Yea I think that 3 cups might be too much too. He was receiving 1 1/2 cups of Taste of the Wild in the morning and then raw feeding in the evenings. I am probably not going to do raw so our breeder recommended 1 1/2 cups in the morning and evenings. I think he might not be used to that much kibble and is getting soft poo.

In terms of the crate I am trying to do a little bit in the morning and afternoons when he is tuckered out so he gets used to it. Its challenging since he cries when he is in there but hopefully he starts to get it.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
three cups is fine for a growing pup. I still feed my 10 month old 1.5 cups in the morning and one at night, I will decrease to 1 1/4 once he reaches 1 yr old. I will feed baby Bruno 1 1/4 cups three times a day until he is 4 months old. If he gains too much weight, then I will decrease to 1 cup three times a day.. you also have to feed them according to their stool. If it is too soft, it might be because he is eating too much, but in Seamus case I think the amount is fine, it might be from the stress of the new environment, or the new water. I would give him a few more days, if it is still soft I would guess to say it is the food that is not agreeing with him.. He is so beautiful and I cannot wait for pictures

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Thanks for the advice! I asked my breeder and she too thinks that it might just be the change in environment and whatnot that is making his poo soft.

Here are some pictures of Seamus's first day at our house.

IMG_2188.jpgIMG_2187.jpgIMG_2186.jpgIMG_2185.jpgIMG_2183.jpgIMG_2175.jpg

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
OMG he is so cute!!

What works for us is no water after 7pm dinner (but we do a late last potty at 10-10:30) That seems to help our guy make it through the 6hr night w/out an accident. He eats til hes full. We started at 1/2 a cup 3x a day but he was hungry...so we bumped to a full cup 2x a day and 1/2cup at lunch if hes hungry. Sometimes he leaves food in the bowl, which is fine we just take it up. We haven't introduced treats yet...I'm happy w/his :poo: consistency so I'm afraid to lol

As far as the crate...we haven't actually used it was its intended yet. We closed off a section in the kitchen and on one end we have his open crate, or bed, and on the other we have pee pads. This has worked out amazingly (knock on wood).

Good luck and congrats!!!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
How adorable he is! :luv: you've gotten good advice already...it's just gonna take some time. But he's very worth some sleep deprivation I'm sure.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse used to and still does drink plenty of water and as he has got older he does not need to pee every few minutes ( well it seemed like minutes) and he used to whine everytime we put him in his crate and yes I would go and get him out so he played on this until I learnt to try to ignore him and then he would settle and now he loves his crate and lets us know when he wants to go to bed. I remember I was like a zombie for the first six weeks he came home from getting up every 2 - 3 hours to let him out to the toilet everyone at work was asking me was I sick or something because I looked like s_ _ _. But it is all worth it to have my Bully baby.

Congratulations on your new Furbaby and enjoy him.

Most Reactions