Thread: HELP!!! The Seamus has arrived

Real Name
    Kassie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rufus McGee
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HELP!!! The Seamus has arrived

OMG he is so cute!!

What works for us is no water after 7pm dinner (but we do a late last potty at 10-10:30) That seems to help our guy make it through the 6hr night w/out an accident. He eats til hes full. We started at 1/2 a cup 3x a day but he was hungry...so we bumped to a full cup 2x a day and 1/2cup at lunch if hes hungry. Sometimes he leaves food in the bowl, which is fine we just take it up. We haven't introduced treats yet...I'm happy w/his consistency so I'm afraid to lol

As far as the crate...we haven't actually used it was its intended yet. We closed off a section in the kitchen and on one end we have his open crate, or bed, and on the other we have pee pads. This has worked out amazingly (knock on wood).

Good luck and congrats!!!!
    "You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats animals"

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

How adorable he is! you've gotten good advice already...it's just gonna take some time. But he's very worth some sleep deprivation I'm sure.

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Ftse used to and still does drink plenty of water and as he has got older he does not need to pee every few minutes ( well it seemed like minutes) and he used to whine everytime we put him in his crate and yes I would go and get him out so he played on this until I learnt to try to ignore him and then he would settle and now he loves his crate and lets us know when he wants to go to bed. I remember I was like a zombie for the first six weeks he came home from getting up every 2 - 3 hours to let him out to the toilet everyone at work was asking me was I sick or something because I looked like s_ _ _. But it is all worth it to have my Bully baby.

Congratulations on your new Furbaby and enjoy him.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

We got Aubie when she was 10 weeks old. It took about a month of getting up with Aubie at 2am to let her out at night, but she quickly learned to hold it. I had to test her one night because I was so tired from getting up with her every night, and she passed with flying colors. She's been doing well with no night time potty breaks for about 3 weeks now I think. At first she was peeing during the day while we were gone (even with midday potty breaks), but now she holds it just fine while we are at work even on the days we can't make it to let her out. We learned to take out her bedding because she always peed with it; without it she won't potty unless she absolutely has to go and she's only had one accident. Luckily, she has never 'd in her crate. We recently expanded her section to give her more room and she is doing fine. It takes time and patience, but you can do it! You will be exhausted, but take him out as much as he needs to go at first. He will get the hang of it with time.

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member Bulldoggie371's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather Morgan
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations! Seamus is adorable.

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Congrats!!! His coloring is amazing. Welcome to the whacky and wonderful world of EBs!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Seamus
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everybody! Your advice has been amazing as always. We had a good night last night. I slept on the couch next to the crate and my husband slept in bed since he was exhausted. Seamus only whined a little bit but once I stuck my hand in the crate he calmed down and fell asleep. We put him in the crate for bed around 9:15pm (we were soooo tired from the previous night) and then I took him out at 11pm, 2pm and 5pm. He had no accidents in the crate and went to the bathroom immediately when I took him out. Its a little bit of an adjustment for him since at his breeders he could just walk out the back door. We live on the 7th floor of an apartment building so I have to walk him down the hallway, get on the elevator and out the back. So I try to adjust everything to give us an extra 10 mins to get outside. He seems to be doing well though all things considering.

I have starting giving him some carrots and green beans when doing training and then just a few doggie treats during the day.

Thanks again for everything! Off to the vets today to make sure he is doing okay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads