When to start clipping nails and what's the best way?

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Ellie Mae is now 11 weeks and has little daggers for nails. How early can we start clipping the nails and at 11 weeks, is there a preferred method/way/tool?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi there. The best time to start timming is now and then about every two weeks. You can get a puppy clipper at any pet store. That's what I used on Wilson, and then Emma. When their nails start getting bigger and thicker you'll know when you'll need to get the full size. It's also a great time to introduce them to a dremel. You can clip and then dremel after, that's what I do. Here's an article I did for EBN and also a post I just did a couple of days ago doing Emma's nails. It's my first nail video so ti's not perfect, ha!

A few tips for you: Patience, use treats, start massages the paws as often as you can (this gets them used to you handling them paw pads), if they squiggle to get away do not let them - be firm but gentle (you win always moto). It takes a lot of practice to get it down. I've been doing my dogs nals for years.

Emma's nail trim
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...os/17269-emmas-nail-trim-clippers-dremel.html

Article
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...-nail-clipping-dremel-what-you-need-know.html

Hope that helps. :)

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
Don't feel bad if it seems real hard because I myself am having the hardest time in the world dremel-ing my 12 week old puppy. Can't take him to the groomers bc he hasn't had all his innoculations yet. So he still has freddy kruger nails. I was only able to slightly dremel his paws but not enough to get it short. I planned on doing it little by little each day but man it's hard to hold him steady. His strength and will is just non-stop haha. But thats me attempting it solo. Should be more successful with a partner helping.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The sooner the better and the more often the better. If you let them go too long (I am guilty of this!) the Quiks get longer and then you have to train them back. When Mandy came to us her nails were extremely long. We tried clipping only to find out her quik was as long as her nail. One little clip and there was blood everywhere. This was when the dremmel came into our life. I had to dremmel them weekly for a year to get them to a decent length. She still has two nails that do not sit straight because of the neglect she got from her prior life.

Sent from my iPod touch using

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Usko's breeder cut their nails already before we got him. They did it with normal nail clippers for human nails. I found them most useful before Usko's nails were thicker. Now we use dremmel weekly.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't do my dogs .......... I haven't the courage to do it!!! :blush2: So they get their nails done at the groomers when they start to look long!!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I am nervous about this also! I think a dremmel would be better at first but im so nervous about getting the blood going not sure if I will be able to do it!

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
So we just clipped Ellie Mae's nails for the first time.....quite the experience. Between the whining, scratches on our arms and hands, and teeth marks, you would have thought we were trying to kill her. We clipped just the tips to make sure to avoid the quick, but she did NOT like it and has not quit giving me the stink eye and likely telling me to go to he**. I didn't dare break out the dremel.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Make sure you have styptic powder At your side (I call it stop leak) whenever you cut your dogs nail. It will stop the bleeding fast WHEN you cut the nails a little too short. It will happen. It even happens at the vet/groomers you just may not see it because they use the styptic powder. I also like to use the clipper/dremmel combo. I use just the dremmel on the puppies. Two people definitely helps to calm the dog.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online