How to stop a biting puppy

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I havent gotten Lola yet but my friend has a 10 week old OEBD and she bites a lot! When you try to hold her she bites and when I take my girls over there my girls and her son will try playing with her but when she gets to rough and they go to run she chases after them and tries biting there ankles and if they trip she tackles them and bites. My question is when I get Lola how do I stop this behavior early? I dont want her to be mean to the girls and I dont want the girls being anything but gentle with her. I know puppies are kinda wacky while they are going through their puppy stuff but I want to make sure my girls dont get scratched up and hurt. Thanks!

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
Jack is 6 months old and he Still bites when in playmode. We had a trainer ve to our house when we first got him and he told us to put 5 or 6 pennies in an empty pop can and shake it when it starts in. That worked for about a month, then he became immune to it. So now we have a new trainer coming next week. We are getting desperate

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pups will bite and they love to bite, and they will outgrow it with a little work on your part. Every time they want to bite you, say "NO" and put a chew toy in their mouth. Be constituent with it. Pups will bite on hands arches, pants legs, you name it. Just keep a chew toy handy to give them. When they get too excited or playing too rough give them a timeout, so they can take a nap.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus will sometimes have episodes of rough play and starts getting wild we put him in the crate for a timeout. It will get easier as they get older but you definatly want to be persistant with it. :)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I like the pop can idea! I will have to try that! I bought lots of chew toys so maybe that will help them, I have read they love to chew so I bought a variety of stuff so she wont get bored and I think in just about every flavor too!:cool2:

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
Rufus chews. Everything. There is always a chew toy handy for 'no no, this is what you chew', but so far its a tough battle. Apparently peoples taste yummy :meeting:

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
They should come out with a human flavored nylabone:ROFL:! That is a twisted thought though!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It's always a shame not to be able to play with an overly biting puppy, I
hope they stop it soon, it's NOT fun when the puppy is grown up!

Just wanted to add this tip that I picked up as I learned to train...DO NOT
use Lola's name when correcting her just the word 'NO!' or whatever
command you're giving her. That way they focus on the command and not
their name. It seems small but with my dogs at that time, it really helped!

Good luck but it seems to me, Lola's got a great home and a smart Mom.
Texas Carol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.