laundry detergent

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I was wondering how many of you use perfume free soaps on your pets items like blankets, beds ect? I thought maybe I would buy some all free or something like that just because it seems EB have so many skin problems and they lay with their blankets and on their beds so much I thought maybe that would cut down on any allergies and rashes what ya think?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'm dealing with some major skin problems with my two bullies and I've tried All Free (no dyes or perfumes) and Bounce Free dryer sheets and it didn't make a difference but every bully is different so it might be worth a try since, like you say, they have such sensitive systems!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] I have used both and no difference, but I still use the free stuff most if the time. It is certainly a better option in case there is a perfume or dye sensitivity.

Sent from my iPod touch using

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
ok then I wont worry about it tell I see some problems. Thanks!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I actually started making my own detergent and Lolas skin issues seem to be resolving

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
how do you make it?:whatsthat?:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i use seventh generation line of products in kroger. they are natural and free of everything. dont know if it makes a diff to sarah but it does to me to use all natural products as much as i can.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I use the Kirkland free and clear from Costco on their towels, beddings and anything that'll touch their skin tremendously. I don't put any dryer sheets in the dryer either. With Stig we find that he'll get a couple of hives if our beddings are washed with regular detergent.

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
would Dreft or All Free and Clear be about the same thing? Anything for sensitive skin...:blink:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4913]Kassie[/MENTION] i would think any free and clear brand would be the same. better than reg detergent i guess. i get mine in the organic section of kroger.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I wonder if dreft would work I like that stuff?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Probably. I think Dreft is the "original" when it comes to gentle and less likely to cause reactions. That's why we have washed our baby stuff in it for generations.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Detergent is not hard to make. We haven't made it but as I remember it is only 2-3 ingredients.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Doing this exact thing was an important component of "going back to zero" when I was trying to figure out what these dogs were allergic to. Nothing passed their floppy lips without me knowing exactly what it was and where it came from. Everything I used or they touched was hypoallergenic as possible; including detergent and drier sheets. Soaps and perfumes turned out to NOT be their problem - but I could not have known that without an extended period of "nothingness" so I could slowly VERY SLOWLY add things to their diet/environment and see if there was a reaction.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Ingredients:

• 1-Bar of any kind of soap.- Ivory is great if you have sensitive skin but any bar soap will work. Fels Naptha laundry bar is also recommended but my market didn't have any in stock when I bought supplies.
  • 1 cup Washing Soda
  • 1/2 Borax
  • 5 gallons of water
You'll need:

• 5 gallon bucket
  • Plastic jugs with lids
  • A long stirring utensil
  • Measuring cups
Instructions:

1. Grate bar soap with fine cheese grater
  2. Fill 5 gallon bucket with warm water
  3. Remove a few cups of the water from the bucket and place in a pan with soap shavings. Heat on low setting and stir until soap is dissolved.
  4. Mix measured Borax and Washing Soda in bucket of warm water until dissolved.
  5. Take melted soap mixture from the stove and pour into bucket and stir well.
  6. Place a lid on the bucket and allow to "cure" overnight.
  7. The following day, stir well, and separate into jugs, filling them half full of detergent.
  8. Fill each jug to the top with warm water. Recap and shake.
This product is prone to clump and gel so shake well before each use.
Use 5/8th of a cup of detergent per regular wash load of clothes.

Its really easy to use and cleans great.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.