Short periods of craziness

LolasPuppet

A bad BOY, not a girl!
Jun 18, 2012
Ljubljana & Portorož, both in Slovenia, in the mid
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hi there,

I'm not even sure this is a problem, so I'm just curious if this is a normal thing with (Bull)dogs.
Around 2 or 3 times every day Lola gets these crazy eyes and she starts acting a bit crazy - lying on the couch on her back, growling, then getting up and jumping into you and biting a little (in an overly aggressive playful manner). If you refuse her, she gets even crazier.

I don't think it's a big deal, but sometimes she really gets a bit scary and she actually managed to scare my relatives. :) Then she calms down rather quickly, it doesn't last more than a few mins.

Is this a normal thing? Does she just want to play? Or should I discourage this behavior?

P.s.: I'm guessing it could be connected to the fact that she was with the breeder for 6 months (she's now 7, so we have her for 1 month) and was probably used to occasionally wrestle/play with other dogs a bit (a few brothers and sisters and her parents and grandparents).

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Funny, sounds like you're describing my Frenchton who is extremely high energy and I guess my bullies are low to medium. I have to give him a long walk everyday to release that energy but with this heat I do it at night. I don't let him get my bullies riled up because I'm afraid they'll hurt themselves with leaping and jumping especially my BabyGirl who has to be careful with her arthritis. He will run and jump and land in the armchair flip belly side up and wriggle and snap at the air and me too (just playful but I still say no to correct) and just be a general nuisance. That's when I get the leash and take him out and by the time I get him home he's calm and happy.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank gets momentary insanity. You should see what happens when he's outside! He gets the zoomies and tears from one side of the yard to the other...then gets winded and calls it a night LOL

I would imagine that your bully is getting the same "wild hair" and trying to burn off some energy :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Getting a bit grazy now and then is normal with bullies. But not in an overly aggressive manner. Or I don't think that should be tolerated. When Usko was a puppy his play sometimes escalated in to really rough play with barking and biting. Only thing that helped was to pin him down. He stopped it after two times and is so playfull still at 20 months, but never aggressive.
Just this evening we enjoyed a dinner and a show...my hubby prepared the dinner and Usko performed the show. He was just wiggling on his back, preaded his toys all over the floor and rolled with them and ran around the room like a mad dog with ears back in his neck...we absolutely enjoyed it!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Well. that sounds pretty familiar. Sometimes it happens after Lupe takes a big:poo:. She runs so fast her back legs are almost her front legs. Other times she gets that way if I plop a clean load of laundry down to fold--she like to roll and toss around the clothes. Also, if she's in the mood for me scratch her hind, she'll give me a pretty serious stink eye and a growl. But it's a growl with her stumpy tail wagging, so it just seems like a quirky bully thing. I guess the thing is, if you're pup is scaring people...maybe decide what the rules are (for your bully or for the people!)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yup! Jake goes crazy outside..when he was younger it would happen in the house..but now he reserves his "energy" for the great outdoors! :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I refer to that as the 'Bulldog Spaz Attack'.....

OP
LolasPuppet

LolasPuppet

A bad BOY, not a girl!
Jun 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thanks! Pretty much what I suspected ... Nothing unusual, just some extra energy play time.

If it does get worse, should I put her on her back to calm her down? (I never really tried correcting her behavior that way)

Oh, this is her during the start of such "episode":
AxuVsiJCEAEZFFo.jpg
:lol:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks! Pretty much what I suspected ... Nothing unusual, just some extra energy play time.

If it does get worse, should I put her on her back to calm her down? (I never really tried correcting her behavior that way)

Oh, this is her during the start of such "episode":
View attachment 23945
:lol:

I would correct it by pinning down only if it would escalate aggression. and only let go after she has calmed down. In that pic she is allready on her back. You know when it's too much and she is beeing too confrontational. If it's clearly play and she still listens to you pinning down is too hard of a punishment.

OP
LolasPuppet

LolasPuppet

A bad BOY, not a girl!
Jun 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I would correct it by pinning down only if it would escalate aggression. and only let go after she has calmed down. In that pic she is allready on her back. You know when it's too much and she is beeing too confrontational. If it's clearly play and she still listens to you pinning down is too hard of a punishment.
Actually, in that pic, she wasn't pinned down. She was being crazy on her back, so we actually tried putting her on her feet.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Actually, in that pic, she wasn't pinned down. She was being crazy on her back, so we actually tried putting her on her feet.

I didn't mean that. Just that she was on her back in the pic and when they're aggressive or confrontational they are not on their backs allready.

DSC_0239.NEF.jpg This here is not my dog, but he was putting on a funny show, throwing his legs in the air. Nothing confrontational about this just bullie :loco: I wish I had it on video...

OP
LolasPuppet

LolasPuppet

A bad BOY, not a girl!
Jun 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
The thing is, though, as I said, the whole thing starts with her lying on the back, growling (as shown on the pic), then she continues growling for a while, but eventually she gets up on her feet and starts being all crazy. It's totally different compared to when she's just playing and messing around on her back.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh my gosh,I'm laughing so hard at your pic of Lola 'doing the dolphin'.
Hands down, this is one of my top five favs of funny bullies!

Brutie, new to us ONE month now and flips over on his back and goes to
wildly waving all 4 legs up in the air while twisting his entire body and
big head too, with gaping jaws (like he's hoping SOMETHING drops into it)
from side to side. The entire time he growls too...we call it his 'great white
shark' impression, HAHAHAHA, This occurs a couple times per day or night.

It sounds to me like play, altho, if she is getting too rough or aggressive, that
does need to be corrected. When Brutie is doing this and I grab his mouth, he
is too hyped to play with, he grabs my hand and exerts a firmer pressure w/his
teeth than he normally does, while I've repriminded him and he stops, I also have
let him do this WITHOUT trying to play with him as I think he deserves to just be,
let be...so I don't stick my hand in his mouth during that time. Texas Carol

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Lola, I believe you have said you're in Europe and on different time
but what are the rest of you doing up at 4:45 am? I am up at these
hours because I'm a night owl by nature also w/Lupus, Fibro,etc, I
have constant pain that keeps/wakes me up and especially weather
changes (barometric changes) and we've had 4 straight days of rain.
Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! Texas Carol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online