Thread: Short periods of craziness

A bad BOY, not a girl! Become a 4 Paw Member LolasPuppet's Avatar
    Ljubljana & Portorož, both in Slovenia, in the middle of Europe
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Default Short periods of craziness

Hi there,

I'm not even sure this is a problem, so I'm just curious if this is a normal thing with (Bull)dogs.
    Around 2 or 3 times every day Lola gets these crazy eyes and she starts acting a bit crazy - lying on the couch on her back, growling, then getting up and jumping into you and biting a little (in an overly aggressive playful manner). If you refuse her, she gets even crazier.

I don't think it's a big deal, but sometimes she really gets a bit scary and she actually managed to scare my relatives. Then she calms down rather quickly, it doesn't last more than a few mins.

Is this a normal thing? Does she just want to play? Or should I discourage this behavior?

P.s.: I'm guessing it could be connected to the fact that she was with the breeder for 6 months (she's now 7, so we have her for 1 month) and was probably used to occasionally wrestle/play with other dogs a bit (a few brothers and sisters and her parents and grandparents).

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Short periods of craziness

Funny, sounds like you're describing my Frenchton who is extremely high energy and I guess my bullies are low to medium. I have to give him a long walk everyday to release that energy but with this heat I do it at night. I don't let him get my bullies riled up because I'm afraid they'll hurt themselves with leaping and jumping especially my BabyGirl who has to be careful with her arthritis. He will run and jump and land in the armchair flip belly side up and wriggle and snap at the air and me too (just playful but I still say no to correct) and just be a general nuisance. That's when I get the leash and take him out and by the time I get him home he's calm and happy.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Tank gets momentary insanity. You should see what happens when he's outside! He gets the zoomies and tears from one side of the yard to the other...then gets winded and calls it a night LOL

I would imagine that your bully is getting the same "wild hair" and trying to burn off some energy

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Getting a bit grazy now and then is normal with bullies. But not in an overly aggressive manner. Or I don't think that should be tolerated. When Usko was a puppy his play sometimes escalated in to really rough play with barking and biting. Only thing that helped was to pin him down. He stopped it after two times and is so playfull still at 20 months, but never aggressive.
    Just this evening we enjoyed a dinner and a show...my hubby prepared the dinner and Usko performed the show. He was just wiggling on his back, preaded his toys all over the floor and rolled with them and ran around the room like a mad dog with ears back in his neck...we absolutely enjoyed it!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lupe (or Lulu)
    Likes (Received)

Well. that sounds pretty familiar. Sometimes it happens after Lupe takes a big. She runs so fast her back legs are almost her front legs. Other times she gets that way if I plop a clean load of laundry down to fold--she like to roll and toss around the clothes. Also, if she's in the mood for me scratch her hind, she'll give me a pretty serious stink eye and a growl. But it's a growl with her stumpy tail wagging, so it just seems like a quirky bully thing. I guess the thing is, if you're pup is scaring people...maybe decide what the rules are (for your bully or for the people!)

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Yup! Jake goes crazy outside..when he was younger it would happen in the house..but now he reserves his "energy" for the great outdoors!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I refer to that as the 'Bulldog Spaz Attack'.....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Thanks! Pretty much what I suspected ... Nothing unusual, just some extra energy play time.

If it does get worse, should I put her on her back to calm her down? (I never really tried correcting her behavior that way)

Oh, this is her during the start of such "episode":
    -axuvsijceaezffo-jpg

Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LolasPuppet View Post
    Thanks! Pretty much what I suspected ... Nothing unusual, just some extra energy play time.

If it does get worse, should I put her on her back to calm her down? (I never really tried correcting her behavior that way)

Oh, this is her during the start of such "episode":
    -axuvsijceaezffo-jpg
    I would correct it by pinning down only if it would escalate aggression. and only let go after she has calmed down. In that pic she is allready on her back. You know when it's too much and she is beeing too confrontational. If it's clearly play and she still listens to you pinning down is too hard of a punishment.

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

To funny! I have no advise but just laughing at the stories!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    I would correct it by pinning down only if it would escalate aggression. and only let go after she has calmed down. In that pic she is allready on her back. You know when it's too much and she is beeing too confrontational. If it's clearly play and she still listens to you pinning down is too hard of a punishment.
    Actually, in that pic, she wasn't pinned down. She was being crazy on her back, so we actually tried putting her on her feet.

Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LolasPuppet View Post
    Actually, in that pic, she wasn't pinned down. She was being crazy on her back, so we actually tried putting her on her feet.
    I didn't mean that. Just that she was on her back in the pic and when they're aggressive or confrontational they are not on their backs allready.

-dsc_0239-nef-jpg This here is not my dog, but he was putting on a funny show, throwing his legs in the air. Nothing confrontational about this just bullie I wish I had it on video...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads