Allergic to our new EB

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Hi there,
I did a quick search and found plenty on the EB's allergy, but none about human allergies, so here goes:

My husband and I just got our new bull dog, Sancho, two days ago and are very excited. Since the first time I held him, though, I've broken out in hives up and down my arms, and my eyes get red, swollen and itchy. No breathing or asthma issues, luckily, because that would definitely be a deal breaker, but this is pretty annoying, too.

I've had a severe allergy to cats and mild allergy to dogs all my life, and this is perhaps the fastest reaction I've ever had to a dog. That could be because I've lived pet-free for the last 12 years and my body needs to "get used to" pets again, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I was wondering if any you do or have experienced this. What did you do? Are there any non-steroidal options? I read about Allerpet/D and it *sounds* like it would work. Since that first night, I've just been avoiding the dog and obviously this helps.

I'd really like to keep the dog as both my husband and I dearly want and love him, but I just don't think having to avoid a family member for 6-10 years is fair to me, my husband or Sancho :(

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes! My granddaughter is allergic to Jake! She has always been allergic to cats. She lives with two dogs and a cat...and we've ALWAYS had both..so when she started with the itchy eyes and rash after loving on Jake..we were surprised! But..we practice "Immersion Therapy"... :ROFL:... Jake's not going anywhere and most certainly neither is my granddaughter! Seriously..we have her wash her hands after direct contact with Jake. But it's already improved a lot and she doesn't take anything. I don't understand why bulldogs cause a reaction to allergy prone people when other dogs don't! Her symptoms and reaction don't seem near as bad as yours..but in the beginning..her eyes would newly swell shut!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Something about those bulldogs!! My son (who is 24 and lives on his own) has a dog, a pit-mix. When he comes to my house and Vegas even licks him he breaks out in hives. As long as Vegas does not touch or lick him he is fine. It is just weird since my me or my son has always had a dog, but never a bully. My son puts up with the hives because he loves Vegas and plays with him anyway.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Two days huh? Have someone other than you give him a good scrubbing and see if that helps at all. I really have no advice but sure hope things work out for you all. And, :smileywelcome: to EBN!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I met someone who got a puppy and her daughter was so allergic they had to find temporary foster home until they found a new home for the pup. The person so wanted an EB that they looked into older bullies and took their daughter with to meet them and finally they got a girl who was older but still a puppy. They met a few I think and she was not allergic to any of them. I know each of my bullies coats are different and the shedding, and dander could also be different. So it could be that, or maybe puppy dander, or even the shampoo the breeder used? Young Puppy breath is also very different than older dog/puppy breath so maybe even their saliva changes over time?

Sent from my iPod touch using

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would say give him a good scrub down and make sure it isnt something they used on the dog and go from there! Good luck!

OP
redhed

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
Thank you all... I started taking Zyrtec daily a week ago, but in addition to that I think I will try "immersion therapy" (washing my hands/arms/body immediately after contact with the dog), having hubby bathe Sancho once per week, and using Allerpet D. I just hope it doesn't cause Sancho to develop skin allergies! Additionally, we had planned to keep him out of our bedroom, off the furniture, and out of the carpeted areas (basically the bedrooms) until he was completely house trained, but we may just keep it that way if it doesn't get better. Not ideal, but it will work and we can still hang out with him in "his" areas.

Fingers crossed! I'll update in a week or so and let you know how things are going :)

Thanks again!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
omg look at his picture.. sooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!! Good Luck with the itchies! and welcome!! :tongue:

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
When we brought Bacon home my husband had such a bad reaction he was vommiting by the 2nd day. I think it was part dog and part sawdust (breeder was Pennsylvania Dutch). After a couple of days and a good puppy bath my husband was fine.... And no problems since.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
You should face the truth and stop avoiding that big Elephant in the room....

You need to give Sancho up and send him to a loving Spanish speaking home..
PM me for my address please. I promise to send you monthly pictures as he grows....

:loco:

Hey I had to find a use for that new Smiley .!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh yes I so am. The itchy hives drive me nuts. BUT I only get them when I snuggle on my neck and arms sometimes. Not all the time. Which is so odd cuz I am not allergic to dogs at all. Just the bulldog hair, the way it pokes or something. Mugsy doesnt bother me in the least and they all share the same dander. lol Many people who come over have the same reaction. No biggy I just wash my arms and hands after big snuggles. And actually it wears off pretty fast if I dont anyhow.

OP
redhed

redhed

Jun 22, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sancho
You should face the truth and stop avoiding that big Elephant in the room....

You need to give Sancho up and send him to a loving Spanish speaking home..
PM me for my address please. I promise to send you monthly pictures as he grows....

:loco:

Hey I had to find a use for that new Smiley .!

Ayyy, Dios mio! Yo nunca abondonaria a mi Sancho. Sobre todo porque yo hablo espanol! Conejo tonto ... Sancho es para mí!

(Ok, I had to get help, but do speak a bit since my grandma and grandpa only spoke spanish...more understand than speak, but that's what Google is for. So there :hahaha:

For an update, only been a day but it's getting a bit better. My husband gave Sancho a bath last night and my reaction was noticeably better. Only one eye got swollen :blink: and I didn't get hives, just general itchiness. I'm hoping it improves more day by day until it's at least tolerable and I don't look like the elephant man at the end of the day (which is how I looked on Wednesday night).

I think that response was due to the fact that my husband forgot to close the side door of Sancho's crate at lunchtime, so when I got home from work at 3.30, he was hyper and running around (and through) about 5 urine puddles (notoriously large amounts of dander in urine) and a couple piles of poop. I can kinda...sorta...a little...laugh about it now, but at the time...not so much. He was a MESS. I had to catch him and get him in the crate while I cleaned up, then get him out of the crate and tied somewhere safe so I could clean it, and then I had to clean him up. LOTS of dander contact, and lots of squirrely, wiggly contact all over my body. Didn't make it better that I sent my husband a picture of the chaos and he LAUGHED. Okay, maybe it's a little bit funny. Now. ;)

Anywaayyyy, all this to say that I'm hopeful. Here's a pic of Sancho at our favorite hangout, the Marble Brewery in ABQ, NM. He just loved being the center of attention!

Happy Friday, everyone!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 146

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Awww, he is so adorable! I don't have any experience with dog or bulldog allergies (in humans) so just wanted to say that I hope things continue to get better! And I can just picture that chaotic puppy scene...:laugh: oh those puppy days...

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=5200]redhed[/MENTION] - " lots of squirrely, wiggly contact" - my favorite!!!!!!! :laugh:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.