Do your Bullies bark?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
We rarely hear a peep out of Gertie, but Ida more than makes up for it! She barks more and more. I am trying to break her of this habit, because I really can't stand barking! It's one thing to alert us if someone is at the door, which she doesn't bother doing, but she barks and barks at Gertie! If they both have the identical same thing to chew on, she wants Gertie's. Instead of chewing on her own, she sits and barks at Gertie while Gertie's chewing away, ignoring her completely. It's driving me nuts! Anyone have a good suggestion as to how to make her SHUT UP?!?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
In general Samson is not a barker, he only barks for a specific reason like someone is at the door. He will do what Ida is doing sometimes though. Sometimes my beagle Loki will lay on a bone so he can't have it and he'll sit there and bark at her. Drives me nuts! I just tell him to stop and he will or I threaten with the spray bottle LOL

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not much help aside from just getting her to understand "no bark". I also have used to squirt bottle on Mugsy who is an avid neighborhood watch dog. lol. He now knows the tern "no bark" and will try to stop for me. Cutty isnt much of a barker thankfully cuz his bark is much louder and would make me crazy too.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes, just like with all training, you must keep correcting it until they understand. Mine don't bark too often, which I am thankful for.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Photobucket

I am so glad someone posted this topic! I've been thinking about this for awhile....
Maximus is a barker! I was going to ask everyone if their Bully barked as much. Maximus barks while we're eating dinner (or any other time he sees someone in the house eating), and now it's become very annoying. I really did not think Bullies were barkers, but Maximus has proved me wrong! If he wants attention, wants you to play with him, or when he sees you eating ---- He Barks! And his bark is heavy and loud!

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
very little..usually only when he hears the shih tzu barking and he can't figure out why the shih tzu is barking. I think it's then that he thinks "well, might as well join in the song" :p

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am with you [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] ... Bentley and Linus never bark really. Linus more than Bentley but, even then, only when he's really riled up from playing. Truman is a barker. He loves to bark. He used to bark like crazy before meals but that was curbed with canned air, the big hang up now is getting him not to bark when he wakes up in his crate. As soon as he hears water turn on in the shower, he starts barking and doesn't stop until someone comes down to get him. It's so annoying, esp in the morning when NO ONE wants to hear the high pitched puppy bark. If anyone has any suggestions on how to curb that, I'd be interested because I do not want to punish him IN his crate, since it's his house and I want him to like it.

Good topic!

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Well, I guess "misery loves company", at least I'm not the only one with this problem. And, I feel better now because it sounds like Ida isn't as much of a barker as Maximus and Truman are.;) I have been telling her "No barking". And I do have to put her outside while I get their food ready or else she sits at my feet and barks. Putting her outside seems to have cured that problem.

danangel14

Jun 4, 2010
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Dempsey
Dempsey will bark at other dogs when he is in the house looking out the window. As the front window is rather high up, he can barely see over the sill, so he mostly barks from the comfort of the sofa. When he is excited while playing he will sometimes bark, but is told no barking, sometimes it works, sometimes not, lol. I just keep correcting.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online