Collar!

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi All! It's me again! So I am hoping you all can shed some light on this situation. I need help getting Winston to walk with his collar. For some reason he always hated his collar and always tried to get it off. I have been trying in the back yard since its fenced because I am too scared to take him on the street as he does slip out of it. If I tug the slightest bit he finds a way to get it off his head. Is it too big?? I am so scared to make it tighter. Anyone have any tips?!?! I was using a harness until I was told by a friend who is a breeder to try the collar because he started pulling ALOT and figured out how to wiggle his but out of that too! I just want to be able to go for a normal walk with him! :lmao:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Yuppers..... Harness is the way to go! HRH has many to coordinate with her wardrobe... LOL Coaxing with tread helps. Also under supervision, let him walk around with the leash without you on the other end... gets them used to having it on.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I definitely suggest using a harness, like Lucylicious said it's not good for them when they are pulling on a collar. It should be alot harder for him to slip out of too. As for the tightness of the collar, I make sure it is tight enough that I can't slip it off Samson's head but loose enough that I can put several fingers in between his neck and the collar. I use a harness for walking but still keep a collar on him when I'm not home or we're out and about to keep his tags on so in the case of an emergency someone can easily find our contact info.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Hey there! I also prefer a harness. As a pup, Rook pulled a lot, and I was so scared he was going to get hurt. Our breeder recommended the collar, but we eventually switched to a harness, and in general I feel like I have better control of him on our walks. As he is getting older he is walking better and pulling less. I guess it is a personal preference, collar vs. harness, but my vote is definitely harness!

Either way, it took Rook some time to get used to both. When we started he would roll around like a fool and insist he couldn't possibly walk. I would put it on him for short periods while in the house to let him get used to it, and at first our walks would be pretty short because he just wasn't having it. But eventually he got used to the feel, and now he even sits nicely and raises his paw so we get can the harness on him.

If Winston is pulling out of his collar, I would guess it is too loose. We now have the Kong harness, and I really like it over the other harnesses we tried. There is no way he can wiggle out of it... but it did take him a little longer to get used to the extra padding on the chest.

Good luck!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you everyone!! I am going to check out the kong harness!! It is just going to take lots of practice I guess! When he was younger he used to love walking actually, it's like he has gotten worse as he has gotten older! I will keep plugging along!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online