hair color

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I was looking at a article on here about puppies then and now, in the pictures the puppies looked darker so my question is do they lighten with age? or is every dog different? and at what age are they their permanent color?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@sweetpeasmom2008 oh hey there. i got sarah when she was a year old so not sure. she has never changed color since ive had her. i tagged a few peeps who may be able to help you better.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
They lighten up quite a bit actually. I like to think of it as the color spreads out, like a balloon. The balloon may be blue before you blow it up, but then it lightens when you fill it with air. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have never thought of it that way but I like Lisa's [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] explanation. Pups go through a lot of change while they are growing and their color is one of them. Usually by 18 months they are the color they will be. Plus as they age they will get their skin spots.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson's fur is all red on his body and the only part that lighted up that was noticable was his sides. When his sides starting lightening up a bit the darker red 2" stripe that goes down his back became more prominent. :up: I'll have to post some before and after pics later for a comparison.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola was a fawn color when I picked her out but not she is turning a little red and kinds darker it seems. I love her color anyway no matter what it looks like I just think its weird how they change so much! Im going to post some pics of when she was younger and now tell me what you think.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola bulldog 006.jpgLola bulldog 011 - Copy.jpg
This is a picture of her the day I picked her out and the other is about a week later
288465_378284992238787_128210807_o.jpgLola bulldog 033.jpgLola bulldog 034.jpg
This is her this week. She looks darker and she is the only one out of her litter that isnt brindle. I think she is turning darker and more golden color. Look at her face she has the sweetest face I just fall in love with her again every time I look at these pics! 2 more weeks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think it is probably the lighting in the photos, outside the color will be more prominent than inside with flash?

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Maybe! When I picked her out she was a fawn color I saw that myself but outside she looks red I guess you never know by pictures it will take me seeing her in person but either way she is cute! I am told she is second to the smallest in the litter she also is the mellowest and she is very loving they call her the attention hog because she will push the other pups out of the way so she can be held she acts like a little princess already we may be in trouble! lol

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
I'm a new Bulldog owner BUT I've had 2Boxers (amd started a Boxer trend w/the family lol-hey, awesome is contagious) &they never changed coat colors

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I agree with Lisa. The lighting in pics makes all the difference. Even the time of day inside or out can Change color dramatically.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
This is interesting. I had never noticed the color change... I am going to have to pay more attention.:detective:
The only thing I've really noticed on Rook is that it seems like his brindle coloring grew and over took some of his white fur, and the black markings around his mouth grew. I recently found a picture of his dad, and the markings around the mouth are now nearly identical!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Ok, so here is just my thought, or experienced opinion. I believe the difference depends on the individual dog. Mostly on what they are fed. I have gone through many kinds of food, some leaving the hair and skin a tad darker. Season change's the coat also. I think they seem a bit lighter in the winter. Maybe because of the heavier coat.
I know with Jack, even spot size and location changed on his face for the first three years. Griz has gotten lighter, Dolly has gotten darker, Scrimps and Peggy Sue have gotten darker also, this summer. This is a very good question and something I will start paying closer attention to. But all in all I believe it depends on the individual dog, food and season's .

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
ya I think she is honestly darker but in reality it doesnt matter to me I just thought that was weird how they change. she was born really dark brown and really had lightened up since then and I love the golden that she is starting to have. My breeder said she thinks she will me a medium strawberry blond color and I would love that! My breeder also said her 2 litters she has had they have all been born dark and lightened up so for her thats what happens to her pups but i think it depends on the dog.Lola bulldog 003.jpgThis pic is the day I picked her out and her face was really light. Lola bulldog 007 - Copy (2).jpgShe has changed some but I think it is the light also. Im going to do some research and see if they do change just in case someone asks on here. Look at that extra skin! There is such a kindness in her eyes that just melts me!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.