Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 38

Thread: Camping?

  1. #1
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Camping?

    Soo we are trying to get a bunch of friends together to go camping at the end of august, but I am not sure how my baby would do camping. Has anyone ever brought their bully camping in a tent?? Do you think the end of August in New England is still too hot for them? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

  2. #2
    ..........
    Real Name
    Jenn
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    0
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Camping?

    Depends on where you plan on going. The thing to worry about is the heat. If you go high up in the mountains I would think heat should be ok but any place else I would be hesitant in a tent.

  3. #3
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Camping?

    That's what I am thinking too and August in New England can go either way it can fairly cool or really hot and that makes me nervous!

  4. #4
    I will show you my thingy if you show me yours! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Heff102's Avatar
    Real Name
    Philippe
    Location
    Humboldt, SK
    Posts
    543
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)
    13

    Default Re: Camping?

    WHAT BULLY TENTING.
    Thats cruelty to animals!!!
    ALL bully's deserve a a/c camper at the least!!!!

  5. #5
    Drool Catcher SunDog's Avatar
    Location
    California
    Posts
    231
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lupe (or Lulu)
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Camping?

    Yikes haven't logged in in awhile, but your topic caught my eye on Twitter. We've taken Lupe (4-yrs old) on about 6 camping trips in Utah and Cali. My tips (forgive the ones that are obvious!)

    1. Have a plan B...daycare or boarding near you. Or, a hotel you can pack up and head to if things aren't working out and it's 9 at night.

    2. elevated doggy "cot" beds are great. They stay clean and cool, and you can add a cooling bed if needed (BUT, if you do need a cooling bed, I'd question if it's too hot in general).

    3. Pitch your tent in the shade, or set up a screened shade tent. If it's cool enough and ventilated, your baby might be happy inside while you're hanging out b/c I remember the New England bugs!

    4. Prepare for storms. For me, this meant being ready to move Lupe and myself into the station wagon during an awful 3am wind storm in Joshua Tree. The tent was snapping so loud, like gun shots, but once we got in the car with the sleeping bags, she dozed right to sleep. (left the husband in the tent....that's another story!)

    5. Groom! I take Lupe a few times a day and quietly look over her coat and eyes and nose for anything yucky. That said, everyone gets dirty when you camp, rt?

    6.Obviously, you can't ever leave your pup alone. Get a good long leash or secure rope. Just really consider whether or not you can be a full-time dog parent and have a fun trip at the same time.

    That said, we've had some great memories. We also have run into trouble (Lupe got a cold from a boarding place), so just be careful!

    Arches Natl' Park in Utah..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02480.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	23652

  6. #6
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Camping?

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Yikes haven't logged in in awhile, but your topic caught my eye on Twitter. We've taken Lupe (4-yrs old) on about 6 camping trips in Utah and Cali. My tips (forgive the ones that are obvious!)

    1. Have a plan B...daycare or boarding near you. Or, a hotel you can pack up and head to if things aren't working out and it's 9 at night.

    2. elevated doggy "cot" beds are great. They stay clean and cool, and you can add a cooling bed if needed (BUT, if you do need a cooling bed, I'd question if it's too hot in general).

    3. Pitch your tent in the shade, or set up a screened shade tent. If it's cool enough and ventilated, your baby might be happy inside while you're hanging out b/c I remember the New England bugs!

    4. Prepare for storms. For me, this meant being ready to move Lupe and myself into the station wagon during an awful 3am wind storm in Joshua Tree. The tent was snapping so loud, like gun shots, but once we got in the car with the sleeping bags, she dozed right to sleep. (left the husband in the tent....that's another story!)

    5. Groom! I take Lupe a few times a day and quietly look over her coat and eyes and nose for anything yucky. That said, everyone gets dirty when you camp, rt?

    6.Obviously, you can't ever leave your pup alone. Get a good long leash or secure rope. Just really consider whether or not you can be a full-time dog parent and have a fun trip at the same time.

    That said, we've had some great memories. We also have run into trouble (Lupe got a cold from a boarding place), so just be careful!

    Arches Natl' Park in Utah..
    Thank you so much for all of the helpful advice. I have weighed all of the options and the more I think about how much Winston loves being outside (said sarcastically) I don't think he would like camping in general, so if we can't find someone to watch him for the night we either won't go at all or we will just go hang out with everyone during the day for a few hours and let Winston stay at home inside the comfy house lol!

  7. #7
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Camping?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heff102 View Post
    WHAT BULLY TENTING.
    Thats cruelty to animals!!!
    ALL bully's deserve a a/c camper at the least!!!!
    \

    I am not sure if this was said sarcastically?? But I just want you to know I would NEVER do anything to harm my baby. I was simply asking if anyone had done it as it is planned for over a month from now and if the weather is still too hot I would not bring him. He does not do well in heat and I know that, however New England weather is so screwy that it could be 60 degrees by that time so I was going to play it by year. If you were joking or being sarcastic I apologize for this response but I did not appreciate being accused of animal cruelty!!

  8. #8
    ..........
    Real Name
    Jenn
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    0
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    Oooh no, heff was joking I am sure that was sarcastic. Lol nobody bashes here on this forum although I know on others that could be a real statement. Sadly.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  9. #9
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,004
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Camping?

    Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    Oooh no, heff was joking I am sure that was sarcastic. Lol nobody bashes here on this forum although I know on others that could be a real statement. Sadly.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Lol ok, I thought it was but wasn't sure! Sorry about that, I just didn't want anyone thinking I would ever put my baby in a bad situation. Thanks for clearing that up!

  10. #10
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1557

    Default Re: Camping?

    I just wouldn't take the chance. Like you said the weather could go either way. Just not worth it. You might try to find a pet sitter, that's what we use if we go somewhere were we can not take our bullies.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  11. #11
    ..........
    Real Name
    Jenn
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    0
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    No worries. I have seen worse said for less on other forums so i know why you would think that. I Do also have someone come to my home and house sit my pups when we go camping. thankfully I have that option. Tent camping in the summer can be scary with pups for sure. Now in the fall or spring i say go for it def.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  12. #12
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Camping?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren31287 View Post
    \

    I am not sure if this was said sarcastically?? But I just want you to know I would NEVER do anything to harm my baby. I was simply asking if anyone had done it as it is planned for over a month from now and if the weather is still too hot I would not bring him. He does not do well in heat and I know that, however New England weather is so screwy that it could be 60 degrees by that time so I was going to play it by year. If you were joking or being sarcastic I apologize for this response but I did not appreciate being accused of animal cruelty!!


    Ohhhh no...He's a big joker! You'll figure him out soon enough! He's harmless!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •