Camping?

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Soo we are trying to get a bunch of friends together to go camping at the end of august, but I am not sure how my baby would do camping. Has anyone ever brought their bully camping in a tent?? Do you think the end of August in New England is still too hot for them? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks a bunch! :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Depends on where you plan on going. The thing to worry about is the heat. If you go high up in the mountains I would think heat should be ok but any place else I would be hesitant in a tent.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
That's what I am thinking too and August in New England can go either way it can fairly cool or really hot and that makes me nervous!

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
WHAT BULLY TENTING.
Thats cruelty to animals!!!
ALL bully's deserve a a/c camper at the least!!!!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Yikes haven't logged in in awhile, but your topic caught my eye on Twitter. We've taken Lupe (4-yrs old) on about 6 camping trips in Utah and Cali. My tips (forgive the ones that are obvious!)

1. Have a plan B...daycare or boarding near you. Or, a hotel you can pack up and head to if things aren't working out and it's 9 at night.

2. elevated doggy "cot" beds are great. They stay clean and cool, and you can add a cooling bed if needed (BUT, if you do need a cooling bed, I'd question if it's too hot in general).

3. Pitch your tent in the shade, or set up a screened shade tent. If it's cool enough and ventilated, your baby might be happy inside while you're hanging out b/c I remember the New England bugs!

4. Prepare for storms. For me, this meant being ready to move Lupe and myself into the station wagon during an awful 3am wind storm in Joshua Tree. The tent was snapping so loud, like gun shots, but once we got in the car with the sleeping bags, she dozed right to sleep. (left the husband in the tent....that's another story!)

5. Groom! I take Lupe a few times a day and quietly look over her coat and eyes and nose for anything yucky. That said, everyone gets dirty when you camp, rt?

6.Obviously, you can't ever leave your pup alone. Get a good long leash or secure rope. Just really consider whether or not you can be a full-time dog parent and have a fun trip at the same time.

That said, we've had some great memories. We also have run into trouble (Lupe got a cold from a boarding place), so just be careful!

Arches Natl' Park in Utah..
DSC02480.jpg

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Yikes haven't logged in in awhile, but your topic caught my eye on Twitter. We've taken Lupe (4-yrs old) on about 6 camping trips in Utah and Cali. My tips (forgive the ones that are obvious!)

1. Have a plan B...daycare or boarding near you. Or, a hotel you can pack up and head to if things aren't working out and it's 9 at night.

2. elevated doggy "cot" beds are great. They stay clean and cool, and you can add a cooling bed if needed (BUT, if you do need a cooling bed, I'd question if it's too hot in general).

3. Pitch your tent in the shade, or set up a screened shade tent. If it's cool enough and ventilated, your baby might be happy inside while you're hanging out b/c I remember the New England bugs!

4. Prepare for storms. For me, this meant being ready to move Lupe and myself into the station wagon during an awful 3am wind storm in Joshua Tree. The tent was snapping so loud, like gun shots, but once we got in the car with the sleeping bags, she dozed right to sleep. (left the husband in the tent....that's another story!)

5. Groom! I take Lupe a few times a day and quietly look over her coat and eyes and nose for anything yucky. That said, everyone gets dirty when you camp, rt?

6.Obviously, you can't ever leave your pup alone. Get a good long leash or secure rope. Just really consider whether or not you can be a full-time dog parent and have a fun trip at the same time.

That said, we've had some great memories. We also have run into trouble (Lupe got a cold from a boarding place), so just be careful!

Arches Natl' Park in Utah..

Thank you so much for all of the helpful advice. I have weighed all of the options and the more I think about how much Winston loves being outside (said sarcastically) I don't think he would like camping in general, so if we can't find someone to watch him for the night we either won't go at all or we will just go hang out with everyone during the day for a few hours and let Winston stay at home inside the comfy house lol!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
WHAT BULLY TENTING.
Thats cruelty to animals!!!
ALL bully's deserve a a/c camper at the least!!!!
\

I am not sure if this was said sarcastically?? But I just want you to know I would NEVER do anything to harm my baby. I was simply asking if anyone had done it as it is planned for over a month from now and if the weather is still too hot I would not bring him. He does not do well in heat and I know that, however New England weather is so screwy that it could be 60 degrees by that time so I was going to play it by year. If you were joking or being sarcastic I apologize for this response but I did not appreciate being accused of animal cruelty!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oooh no, heff was joking I am sure that was sarcastic. Lol nobody bashes here on this forum although I know on others that could be a real statement. Sadly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Oooh no, heff was joking I am sure that was sarcastic. Lol nobody bashes here on this forum although I know on others that could be a real statement. Sadly.

Lol ok, I thought it was but wasn't sure! Sorry about that, I just didn't want anyone thinking I would ever put my baby in a bad situation. Thanks for clearing that up! :D

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I just wouldn't take the chance. Like you said the weather could go either way. Just not worth it. You might try to find a pet sitter, that's what we use if we go somewhere were we can not take our bullies.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
No worries. I have seen worse said for less on other forums so i know why you would think that. I Do also have someone come to my home and house sit my pups when we go camping. thankfully I have that option. Tent camping in the summer can be scary with pups for sure. Now in the fall or spring i say go for it def.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
\

I am not sure if this was said sarcastically?? But I just want you to know I would NEVER do anything to harm my baby. I was simply asking if anyone had done it as it is planned for over a month from now and if the weather is still too hot I would not bring him. He does not do well in heat and I know that, however New England weather is so screwy that it could be 60 degrees by that time so I was going to play it by year. If you were joking or being sarcastic I apologize for this response but I did not appreciate being accused of animal cruelty!!

Ohhhh no...He's a big joker! You'll figure him out soon enough! He's harmless! :crazy:

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks everyone! Yeah I am not going to take the chance, I am working on finding a pet sitter now!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3652]Lauren31287[/MENTION] There are many sarcastic ones here so be prepared. :lol: That is the problem with computers nowadays, hard to read between the lines.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.