Are you going to breed him?

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
So I just wanted to share a funny story.

We live in the country, but our house sits on a corner with a stop light.
We normally sit in our rocking chairs in the evening with Pan sitting between us.

Well one eveing as we where completing our evening ritual, a car was stopped at the light. Now normally we get a lot of stares and people pointing at Pan, but on this particular day the passenger actually rolled down his window and yells...

"You have a beautiful dog" Which of course we said thanks. But then he adds "Are you going to breed him"

It was just so random.

And no, we aren't breeding him - I definitely like being the only girl in his heart!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
People are so weird and blunt sometimes!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some people are just bone heads.

lilythebully

Mar 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Lola(frenchie)
i usually always get asked the same. first we'll get a complement on how beautiful our dog(s) are, then they tell me how they've always wanted one, then they ask how much i paid for her, then they ask when i'm going to breed her.

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
I had some nutball in the Petco today ask me if Max was male or female. I said, "Male, sort of." lol. Then he immediately said, "I got a female and I want to breed her. You planning on breeding him." :nonono: I said, "No, I had him neutered when he had entropian surgery. Don't want to pass that trait along." (Really, I was never intending to leave Max intact, but that usually stops the questions. Anyways, he says, "Well, I'd pay you...SOMEthing if you'd stud him out." Hmmm....so I explained in more elementary terms that Max would be no help there. Then he asked me how much did I pay for Max and how much did I think he should charge for bulldog puppies that can't be "papered"

The whole time, Max kept looking back and forth from me to the guy with this "Why is he talking to you, mommy? He should be talking to me." look on his face.

When we left, my 8 year old son said, "I don't think it's a very good idea to pick up random boyfriends for your dog at the Petco." :ROFL: Wise beyond his years, that one.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Geez, people can be so rude sometimes ... and creepy for that matter. I would've been so startled if someone had stopped suddenly and asked that question [MENTION=2879]PeterPanAndWendy[/MENTION]!

[MENTION=5244]TandVsMom[/MENTION] - Could never have imagine an 8 year old coming up with that. You must be such a proud momma!

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
i usually always get asked the same. first we'll get a complement on how beautiful our dog(s) are, then they tell me how they've always wanted one, then they ask how much i paid for her, then they ask when i'm going to breed her.

We get the same thing.

People are crazy. That's all I can say :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I get asked that from time to time when new folks learn that Bo is a boy and Bea is a girl. I always launch into a semi-prepared statement about "the complicated nature of English Bulldog breeding and how important it is that these dogs are not acquired via back yard breeders or puppy mills due to the complexities involved." I edit my speech based on the person asking, dumbing it down for true morons or adding content for folks who are genuinely interested in English Bulldogs.

When giggling, squealing young adults come running over to see the dogs, always exclaiming, "Oooo I want one." it's all I can do to keep a look of "here we go again" off of my face. I have learned that these situations -- while sometimes annoying -- are the BEST opportunities to educate about our beloved breed.

But seriously? There have been times in the Petco where I've wanted to kong someone, Wile E. Coyote style, upside the head with a cast iron skillet. It's these times when I wish with all my heart that stupidity was painful.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It's these times when I wish with all my heart that stupidity was painful.

I thought that it is....it sometimes makes me want to scream.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I got asked that by my cousin when my baby was only 8 weeks old. I had to explain to him all the dangers the expense and all the bullies in rescue. He is just not informed and of course didnt listen.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
when people find out I have three, the first question is "so do you breed them?" UM no, they are all males and I never had any intention of breeding. I've been asked so many times to stud them out and I too have to go into the long lecture of how expensive and time consuming raising a litter is. Not to mention two of the three have conditions that I would never in my wildest thoughts think of passing on to a litter and one has allergies, not severe, but still. My dogs are not here to make me money, but to snuggle with me and adore me!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Strange, but I hear that question a lot... not sure why people think that is OK to ask... just ignorant and rude.

OP
PeterPanAndWendy

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
Pan is just so beautifu and well behaved - so I don't blame anyone for wanting him - but when I talk about all the care he needs, and the expense involved to take care of his health issues (and he's VERY healthy for a bully) that normally is enough to "scare" away the idiots that want him for his wrinkle. If not start talking about the birthing process and how they need a c-section and that normally does it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.