Now I understand what it must be like to live in a war torn country......

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My neighbors have upped their fireworks game considerably since last year. I'm convinced that the money spent on their annual boom-a-palooza could easily fund an entire year of humanities efforts for a small African nation. It appears as tho he "got out the big guns" this year as the display RIGHT BEHIND MY HOUSE rivaled that of any city fireworks display. I mean, it was relentless and BIG. Bea and Bo, however, didn't have an appreciation for his effort. Last night was the longest night of my life; I'm sure of it. When even hoisting them up onto my bed didn't work to calm them, I knew we'd just have to ride it out until the end, disagreeing with the freaking out as best as I could. Now, they're both snoring away in their crates. When we got up this morning, they were both looking at me like, "Why is it so quiet?" They couldn't BELIEVE it was over. It was QUITE a shelling this year, let me tell you.

Here's Bo on the morning of July 3rd, up in my bed, having fared the pre-holiday blasts, blissfully unaware of the nightmare that would follow on July 4th.....

P4180003.jpg

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Poor Bea and Bo. All of mine were upset last night as well except for Johnny. He is so young that it doesn't faze him much,,,,,,, YET. Beefy barked until about 2 am. Poor guy , just couldn't figure out the craziness and he sure didn't like it.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I thought fireworks were illegal? Especially big fireworks used by ordinary people...I know my neighborhood suffers from bottle rockets and m-80s...you know just noise makers and on the 4th its a given....luckily Schultz is unaffected by loud noises, whereas my weim becomes undone... I slipped 2 250mg capsules of valerian root into her dinner bowl and rubbed her head with rescue remedy....takes the edge off....but if the fireworks were in my backyard I would have to evacuate...seriously! Sorry you and the pups had such a long night....boo to your neighbor.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Same here at my parent's house last night. Watson was real quiet and he didn't care about the fireworks but the three dachshunds went crazy. Kept barking through the night

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Poor Bea and Bo and you! We had the random popping at inconsistent intervals until about 1am, so while it wasn't huge, it seemed each time Frank and I would start to drift off to sleep, more popping would instantly result in furious barking.

mygirlsmomma

Feb 14, 2012
Lake Stevens
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Poor bullies:( Ellie did suprisingly well last night with all the noise, it did wake her in the middle of the night and she just snuggled up to me and was fine. But we are lucky to out in the sticks where our neighbors aren't right on top of us. Such a waste of money all those fireworks too! (just to stress your neighbor's dogs out!)

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I have had the same problem. Fireworks are illegal in our state but the border is a 5 minute drive and surprise a huge fireworks retailer ! We are also experiencing a severe drought. Several fires have been started due to firework catching grass on fire. I am not as nice as you. I have called the Sherrif's dept. the last 2 nights on neighbors. When that didn't work, they met a very grouchy ,sleep deprived been up the last 2 nights with a tired baby, dressed in pajamas ME right in their own back yard! I own my house and most of my neighbors don't . I have a lot more to lose. Also I highly doubt any of them have renters insurance that would cover damage to my property or any source of income that could . I would end up with a claim to my own company, higher rates , and having to deal with the damage. I also have a a bf that has to get up very early to work who is a 2 year old when he doesn't get enough sleep. I officialy hate 4th of July now. The good news is Tyson couldn't care less about fireworks. I don't think he even hears them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks and Cheli were both sound asleep and did not react at all

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I thought fireworks were illegal? Especially big fireworks used by ordinary people...I know my neighborhood suffers from bottle rockets and m-80s...you know just noise makers and on the 4th its a given....luckily Schultz is unaffected by loud noises, whereas my weim becomes undone... I slipped 2 250mg capsules of valerian root into her dinner bowl and rubbed her head with rescue remedy....takes the edge off....but if the fireworks were in my backyard I would have to evacuate...seriously! Sorry you and the pups had such a long night....boo to your neighbor.

Next year, I'm going to have to secure a chemical peace of mind for Mr. Bo. Bea did very well up until the last barrage and then she just snapped, I suppose. ha ha I can see her saying "MAMA MAKE EM STOP ENOUGH ALREADY".

I feel bad about hating the fireworks because I really love to watch them. July 4th was always my favorite drunken holiday as a youth/young adult and in spite of the dog's discomfort, I did go out and watch the show for a bit. They did a nice job actually for a back yard affair. And it was like oh 150 feet from my porch that this was going on. Maybe next year, I take the kids to a dog friendly resort in a "no fireworks" town....? I think the kicker for me was that just as Boom Boy back here was winding down, the tavern down on the strip just got their's fired up and started, THENNNNNN a guy a few blocks over got HIS started. By this time, they were both reacting to ANY noise -- even if it was a bottle rocket, blocks away. For us, it was pretty relentless for a few hours and I think THAT'S what made it so bad for them. Poor babies.

Lucky you who have dogs who do not react at all. Bo was drooling and alert and looking out the window and looking at me and omg he was freaking out. Poor boy.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We got lucky this year....I heard one bottle rocket last night far off when I was out watering.....other than that I haven't heard a thing and I don't think HRH has either. We are in a serious heatwave too so her outside time is even less than the usual 5 minutes three times a day. she's loving it!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Yes [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] through years of experience, I've learned to turn all the tv's up in the house, leave the dogs inside, and then go out and watch dueling fireworks. Unfortunately this year the explosive holiday fell in the middle of the week, which means I needed to retire early. The dogs and the neighbors did not.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.