Cooling our bullies

mistshadow

Dec 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Athena and Ty
Good Afternoon All,
I have a couple of questions. I noticed on another thread people asking about cooling collars and pools. Do you think a pool would help? We were considering getting one for Athena and Ty to play in . But then last week Athena went down with a seizure on us. The vet said it was from heat stroke. Shocked me because we are real adiment that the dogs are not outside for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time because of the heat. As a matter of fact we have been taking them for their walks at midnight 1 o'clock in the morning just so we are going out when it is cooler. The vet said no more walks, no more play outside nothing till it cools down in the fall. We are to let Athena out to potty and then have to bring her right back in. He said because Ty is an Olde English he can be out for a little longer.

So I guess my questions are, if I put a cooling collar on her can she be out for more than 5 minutes at a time. Just feels like we are punishing her and she just wants to go out and lay in the grass. And a pool? We would really love to get one and let her play in it. But do you really think it will be safe?

Thanks

Attachments

• sleepy puppies.jpg
    sleepy puppies.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 133

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi there! I bet that scared you so bad! Poor girl! Without an actual examination of Athenas nares and pallet I cannot say yes or no, but I think as long as you are there to supervise her and make sure she is not overheating it should be okay for her to play in the pool.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree... get her pallet and nares checked to be sure she is not struggling for air. But, also, let her be out and in the pool with you supervising - 10/15 mins at a time maybe early in the day or late in afternoon

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea's favorite thing in the world is her pool. If we're out on our morning walk and she's piddling around (which is pretty standard), all I have to say is either: "Let's go set up your pool! or "Wanna go swimming?" and she's trotting home like her tail pocket's on fire. She can be tired from a morning walk and will jump in and out of her pool as long as I let her do it. Bo's not the "swimmer" Bea is (the pool is only four inches deep tops) but the occasional dip keeps him cool too. These pool parties are closely supervised and length of time is based on the weather. It doesn't get very hot here typically but when we do have a hot spurt, exposure to heat --- even if they're in the shade -- is closely monitored. It's hard to get a bully cooled down once they get overheated.

I'm sure glad Athena is OK.

Here's a pool party for you to check out: http://youtu.be/Zl0Ac5bkx_8

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
With Oklahoma's temps reaching 100+ everyday I don't take any chances. The boys go out just to do their business and then it's straight back in the house. My son had Beefy out back in early spring playing with a soccer ball. They had been out maybe 10 minutes and Bryce came running back in saying "I think Beefy's hot". Beefy was panting up a storm and couldn't catch his breath. I, of course, freaked out! I put him in the bath tub and ran about 3 inches of cool water. I then took a cloth and dipped it and started rubbing him down around his neck, belly, doggy pits. Bryce got the chewing of a lifetime and I've made sure to be extra careful.

Big hugs to Athena!

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
That's so scary....but it's been really hot this summer and humid....I feel bad when I have to skip a walk or hurry the bulldog back inside...but getting overheated does happen quickly....we all have to remember its for their own good....I'm so happy she is ok....pools are awesome (with supervision) and it gets them some exercise :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.