Mountaineering Bulldog

RyanT

Jan 12, 2012
Portland
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I know "Mountaineering Bulldog" sounds strange, but we've been taking our bulldog on hikes and other adventures for a while. When my girlfriend went to do her first summit, we wanted to take our dog along. On the way down, Izzy loved sliding down the snow slopes (glissading). She enjoys any type of snow, but when we actually started sliding down the snow bank, her reaction was, "Yes, yes, this is exactly what I've always wanted to do!" My girlfriend said she had never seen Izzy so excited! I carry an Ikea bag just in case she becomes too tired, but it's never happened, thank goodness!

I think heat is her weakness, but she likes it up here in the cooler climate. Perhaps this is the natural habitat of the bulldog. :-)

Izzy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
RyanT

RyanT

Jan 12, 2012
Portland
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
We enjoy hiking. I wonder if that's something any bulldog could do with the proper training.

We started taking her on hikes when we got her at 4 months old - short hikes at first. We did consult with our vet and she thought it was okay if she got the exercise (even encouraged it). My girlfriend and I both agree that she is happiest when she's hiking, besides maybe the dog park.

We thought we were getting a compromise with her. We saw some sad videos on Youtube of bulldogs hiking. We said she'd never be able to do anything too strenuous, that maybe we'd have to get a dog sitter when we went out. Well, she proved us wrong!

The weekend before last it was 14 miles of hiking with 4,500' of elevation gain to get up and down a mountain with all the snow etc. She really is surprising!

"You get the dog you need."

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I think you hit on the exact formula; proper conditioning prior to the big hike up the slopes. Like humans, we could never endeavor to go up a mountainside without the proper training beforehand.

I also think you've hit on something with the cool temperatures. Bea and Bo both enjoy snow VERY much and these cool, rainy unseasonable temps we've had here in Seattle lately have been ideal for them. The cooler and more rainy it is, the more they enjoy their daily walks and want to keep going. Some EBs are far more athletic than others too - just like people, I suppose. I mean, you'll never see me hiking up a mountain.

Where's the video of your pup sliding down the mountain? I really gotta see that!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
That is awesome! And I think you are right. You get the dog you need.
And Conditioning is everything.

I don't think HRH would take to it at all because she doesn't like anything to do with "outside" summer or winter. She loves routine and hates change.

But since Izzy has grown up to expect the unexpected she will probably always love your adventures.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
That video of her is so funny. Looks like she's trying to do the Homer Simpson floor move where he lays on the floor and moves in circles. I think you have found the perfect combo for her, cool environment and active parents. Looking forward to hearing more stories. Absolutely amazed that Izzy can join your adventures.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Too funny, she sure likes her snow, and such a pretty girl too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
WOW... what a great picture... she sure looks happy there

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Amazing!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Sorry, I didn't take video. I'll have to next time. Though I do have plenty of videos of her rolling around in the snow : p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI0SeVLUE7w

Awesome! Bo does the same, exact thing in the snow. He rolls around like a cat does in catnip. So funny.

Bea does not. She shovels it with her nose.

I'm looking forward to that sliding vid one day! Izzy is awesome.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.