cooling neckbands and collapse trachae (2) separate issues

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
Has anyone ever tried them, do they really work and how well? I live in San Antonio Texas, 100 degrees happens often. Would like to hear from others.
Also, has anyones baby had a collapse trachae, My Emma was born with a very small trachae, and on next vet visit I wanted to get some information. Do not know much about it.
thank You
Pamela

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
hi there. we have a cooling collar and it does work for a short time.. an hour or so then you have to cool it down again. . we just bought a cooling vest by chilly dogs used by the military for working dogs since we will be fishing in a nonA/C cabin in August. expensive but we will get our moneys worth.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I don't have a cooling collar. Instead I bought a harness that is mesh around their front and before I know I am going to take Aubie out, I wet it and freeze it. I put a few ice cubes down the front and the harness being cold keeps the ice longer, keeping her cool longer. It definitely works in a pinch when you won't be out for hours at a time. I usually take her out for about an hour and it seems to keep her cool the whole time.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have the cooling bandanna and vests for the boys. Last summer they did come in very handy and stayed cool for a couple hours. I think they are worth getting as a supplement to other cooling mechanisms and as a cooling backup. I got mine from Keep Doggie Safe .

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The doggie pool (full of cold water, of course) is our saving grace on super hot days --- when / if we have them. Of course, these are supervised and my dogs are never, EVER left outside for any extended period of time -- with or without the pool -- on warm days.

As far as the trachea goes, that would be a MAJOR concern for me simply because of the allergies these dogs seem to suffer with. My grandmother used to say, "If there's hives on the outside, there could be hives on the inside...". so I'm never without Benedryl in the house; just in case. You will want to be extra careful about heat with this pup and have a plan in case of an emergency with her breathing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As far as the trachea goes, that would be a MAJOR concern for me simply because of the allergies these dogs seem to suffer with. My grandmother used to say, "If there's hives on the outside, there could be hives on the inside...". so I'm never without Benedryl in the house; just in case. You will want to be extra careful about heat with this pup and have a plan in case of an emergency with her breathing.

Great advice... also be sure to be VERY careful with wearing collars and her pulling or you correcting with the leash/collar

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.