House Training Help

Tuesday123

Jul 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
Hi,

We have a 16 week old bulldog puppy called Ralph who is proving to be very problematic with regards to his house training. We have taught him to go the front door when he needs the toilet, and prior to this past week he would come into the room, nudge one of us and then take us to the front door and signal that he wanted to go outside. However, over the last week this has all changed and he is just going to the toilet wherever he fancies in the house.

On a night he sleeps in a small area with a babygate that stops him from moving freely around the house, and in here he has a tray with some newspaper on which he uses on a night-time if he has an accident. During the day we leave the babygate open so he can come and go from his bed into the rooms which he is allowed in. If we go out for a short while (for instance to the shops etc.) Ralph makes every attempt to go to the toilet on this tray if he happens to need to go while we are out, however this is a very rare happening. However when we are in the house at the moment he goes to the toilet as and when he pleases wherever he likes, despite us taking him outside regularly. I'm not sure whether it is an attention issue or whether he doesn't understand us or something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank!!

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
I am no pro, as I am a newb with a 9week old puppy as well. I am crate training mine and he has got it down. (I think) He hasn't had any in house accidents these past few days and he has never soiled his crate (w/ towel padding). The breeder had him paper trained on puppy pads, this I, emphasis on I, encourages him to pee indoors. Therefore the first few days he confused my rugs and carpet (I don't have hardwood) as a puppy pad and just went pee anywhere he felt like it. So I got him used to staying in his crate for a short periods then immediately letting him outside when I open the his door. He usually goes and pees, and seems to have a basic understanding that when I let him outside it means to go pee.

In your case, I believe that you allowing him to pee on newspaper/puppy pads has him confused on what you want him to do. Either go outside and urinate or go on the newspaper. I don't think you should teach him both.

_DSF1729.jpg

_DSF1740.jpg

OP
Tuesday123

Tuesday123

Jul 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
Ralph has finally mastered the house training!! ***Touch wood*** I took your advice to remove the newspaper and in the end he figured it out bless him!!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Hershey is 19 weeks and still hasnt master it - we can usually tell his signs.. he starts to sniff and become distracted... so out he goes... but we have to take him down the patio stairs to the 'potty area' then he'll look up and say... 'Gee Whiz Dad, do I have to?' and he'll usually Pee. even if its a few drops he knows when he goes to the potty area, that's expected. however... *sigh* if we miss his clues... and he doesnt go to the door and bark or anything (yet) His big sister does, but she's been in and out so much with him, she doesnt have to bark at the door too often for him to pick it p. Lots of Paper Towels and Enzyme cleaners ! ! ! !

OP
Tuesday123

Tuesday123

Jul 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
Little Ralph shows the signs if we're in the same room as him, and if we're in bed he comes and sits by the door and barks. We're very pleased he's managed to get the hang of it!! It's just his fussy eating to worry about now haha!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.