Dremel his toe nails

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
I need to cut/grind Ari's toe nails and I need help/advice on introducing and using a dremel on him. He is great when I hold him and massage his paws. But once I turn on the dremel and bring it close to his nails, he squirms really vigorously to get away. I am doing this by myself by the way, should I get assistance?

Any advice would be very appreciated. Or even a step by step tutorial.

Thanks much!

How did you cut their toe nails when they were a puppy?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi there! Here's a wonderful article I did on dremmel use. I use the dremmal on all three of mine. They will squirm but you're going to have to be strong and firm at first until they get used it. Just talk to him in a reassuring way. Wilson and Emma hated the dremmel at first but now Wilson will literally fall asleep by the time I'm done with him. It will take time and patience but it will pay off.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...06-Nail-Clipping-Dremel-What-you-need-to-know

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I started clipping when they were puppies and using the dremmel right away. For Wilson, I laid him on my legs and did his back nails first. If he stiffened his legs then I'd just unstiffen them. His fronts though I have to lay him between my legs upside down. Does he like this, oh no but he's accepts it once he figures his not going anywhere and sometimes I have to be a bit firm (not in a bad way though). I'm now doing all his nails while he lays between my legs (that's my preferred method too).

For Emma, she's a bit harder. I do her backs the same way. When I do the fronts she's actually sitting in my lap with her back to me. I'm still working with her for the 100% lay down position.

Now Jack my non bully, he does not like to be on his back. I do him while he's standing up. Back legs first and then the fronts. I actually straddle him when I'm doing his back to keep him from moving (can't really do that with bully though, lol).

Just keep at it and the reward will come, just takes time like I said. Oh and patience, lots of it, lol.

OP
BIJAH

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] Just tried again yesterday, I can't seem to hold him correctly so he doesn't squirm and get loose. Can ya post a a pic on how you hold your bully? Thanks in advance!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@JeannieCO Just tried again yesterday, I can't seem to hold him correctly so he doesn't squirm and get loose. Can ya post a a pic on how you hold your bully? Thanks in advance!
You bet, give me a couple of days though as we're getting ready to leave town for the weekend. Wilson will still squirm, it takes lots and lots of time and patience, like lots. I'll try to get my hubby to video it next time (I've been meaning to do that anyway). Just keep at it and don't lose your patience! :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Lari Holds + I grind = Beautiful Princess Toenails ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.