cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
and now Tate and Finn are barking up a storm!

My city doesn't allow fireworks but of course that doesn't stop people from shooting them off anyways. So, how are you all preparing your bullys and other pets for the 4th of July noise?

I recall discussing those "thunder shirts" last year on EBN but i never got around to trying one out. Maybe putting on a tight tee shirt may help them not freak out so much?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Awww poor guys...It must be scary for them not knowing what it is even after telling them a million times its okay! My moms dogs freak out but Chanel doesnt mind it and this will be Brutus's first 4th so we will see :begging: he doesnt mind either :)

Im thinking maybe play some calming music during the fireworks :)

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I'm interested to see how Aubie does; she usually jumps at loud noises at first, but calms down quickly.

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
New puppy has been dealing with them pretty well. He does lose his concentration of what he is doing. Hasn't whimpered too bad yet, but its only been 1 or 2 that go off every hour. It should increase as the date nears... prepare for the worst and hope for the best. :begging:

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Wish we could enjoy fireworks here too....Schultz is ok surprisely loud noises don't freak him out....but my weim is not keen on them...I usually slip her a valerian root capsule (mild sedative) before they start it helps keep the edge down on her anxiety...

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My dogs love to bark. Fireworks don't scare them. They love drama so it gives them a reason to cut loose. It's the cats who'll be freaking out.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH dreads the 4th...we are going on three weeks with no rain, so not only are they not usually allowed. The city has announced much stiffer enforcement will be in place, so luckily so far we haven't heard any fireworks from "the usual culprit" in the neighborhood.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
HRH dreads the 4th...we are going on three weeks with no rain, so not only are they not usually allowed. The city has announced much stiffer enforcement will be in place, so luckily so far we haven't heard any fireworks from "the usual culprit" in the neighborhood.

same over here too, [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION]. Our counties fire departments have put a "no open fire" ban out and there is always a ban for fireworks, but not enough police around to enforce it. It has seemed to be a little quieter than usual around here too, but I'm sure once it gets closer to Wednesday, it will get a little louder. My boys don't care about fireworks or thunder for that matter. If they hear a BIG thunder boom, they may bark once and then they settle down and go back to whatever it was they were doing, which is usually napping.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Well, Bo's over here freaking out. F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G out. Bea will join in --- if she feels like it. It's gotta be a pretty big boom for her to go apecrap.

I must summon all my leadership skills, but how do you "own" the fireworks so they don't have to worry about them? That's the trick. I use the phrase "OK. I got it.", which is what I use for other things they alert about, but fireworks are a whole 'nother category!

The first night that our neighborhood "culprits" went at it was a couple of nights ago. Bo comes running into the bedroom, barking the whole way. I didn't even realize it was fireworks at first. (I was dead asleep) When I figured it out (with the next boom), I puppy gated them into my bedroom and turned up the TV. Seemed to help -- I went right back to sleep. On the actual night of the 4th, they will get to "sleep in the big bed" with me; the thrill of which often displaces the anxiety about the noises. My bed is super high so they can't jump up on it (or even get off of it) without assistance.

Our culprits must spend thousands of dollars on things to blow up. Seriously. It seems to go on forever.....pretty to watch though.

Happy Fourth! Ugh.

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Beef has been barking up a storm as well. Poor guy. Little Johnny doesn't even know what to think.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Fireworks are legal here. Usually we hear them start mid day and they go till about 11:30 at night. Surprisingly the dogs don't seem to care...they don't even bark. The noise of living with two young girls has probably prepared them for anything a firework could bring on! LOL

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
My neighbors have been blowing stuff up for 2 weeks already. They start them around the middle of June and light more every night usually until the end of August. It doesn't seem to bother Abby but my Roxy is a terrified mess. She shakes so hard you can hear her teeth chatter. She has a heart murmur and every year I ask them to PLEASE let me know before you light the match so I can give her something to calm down but they never do. It's really making me not like them (and that's being polite).

Obviously I won't know how Abby will be on the actual 4th but I know Roxy is an inch away from a heart attack every time they set one off. We turn the ac up as high as it will go and blast the tv, she cuddles up next to me on the bed and still she shakes like nothing I have ever seen.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
The fireworks have never bothered mine ... but it will be Linus' first Independance Day celebration. Until this time last year we were living in a development in Medina and there were a lot of separate firework displays going on that we could see and hear from the house. This year we're in the country, so it will be interesting to find out if it will be worse or not ...???

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Emma heard some firecrackers a month ago and she flew back into the house. It took me 15 minutes dang near to get her to go back outside. She'll be my scaredy cat. Wilson and Jack aren't bothered by them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke and Banks both... would just bark at them, never really scared or freaking out... just more of a 'what the heck is that noise... type bark.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.