Emergency Kit.. Do you have one? you should!

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Well you need a fire proof safe that is rated at a minimum of 1 hour. Most good one swill be rated for 1 hour at 1850 deg. F. Paper will ignite at 350 deg F. So the better the rating the better protection you will have against things burning up inside. @kazzy220

I'm not sure how hot our fire was but the firemen said it was the hottest that they had ever felt.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=4339]jen74401[/MENTION] The average house fire is around 800 to 900 deg. but can reach well over 1200 deg. F. That's why a fire safe rated for an hour or two is better.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have also been told that if you do not have a fire proof box/safe, then your freezer is the next best place to keep your important document in, as this is the last place in a house fire to be consumed by heat and fire. I just put them in a freezer bag out of the way and they do just fine.

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
@jen74401 The average house fire is around 800 to 900 deg. but can reach well over 1200 deg. F. That's why a fire safe rated for an hour or two is better.

Maybe that was the issue. The firemen that showed up here just sat in my driveway eating ice cream sandwiches and gatorade :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4339]jen74401[/MENTION] WHAT?????? :cursing: That wasn't a fireman, he was a spectator, and should turn in his gear. We always do something to try to put the fire out no matter what the condition is or how much fire there is. If we can save some property maybe even just a picture album or trinket that may just be the one thing that means the most to someone. I hate it when I see videos of so called fireman just watching a fire and not doing their job.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Maybe that was the issue. The firemen that showed up here just sat in my driveway eating ice cream sandwiches and gatorade :(
what in the world? omg seriously they just sat there watching the house burn down? ubelievable. i may have thrown them off my property :cursing:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
This is a good reminder for all of us! I've been thinking a lot about my emergency kit but the actual "doing" is another story. Time to get my behind in gear and start putting my kit and one for the boys' together.

I should do this too!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

:eek: ..... WHUT!!! That's disgusting!!! :cursing:

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
@jen74401 WHAT?????? :cursing: That wasn't a fireman, he was a spectator, and should turn in his gear. We always do something to try to put the fire out no matter what the condition is or how much fire there is. If we can save some property maybe even just a picture album or trinket that may just be the one thing that means the most to someone. I hate it when I see videos of so called fireman just watching a fire and not doing their job.

No joke, all of the firemen just sat there and enjoyed their ice cream while I lost everything. To top it off, after they left our house they left their trash all over my yard.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
How awful! I agree...those were NOT real firemen! I am so sorry you had to go through this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No joke, all of the firemen just sat there and enjoyed their ice cream while I lost everything. To top it off, after they left our house they left their trash all over my yard.

Omg that is unbelievable!! Tragic!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=4339]jen74401[/MENTION] - omg, sorry you had to go through that. Too bad no one took a pic of them so they can be reported. It's so unbelievable that they did that.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4339]jen74401[/MENTION] That's just totally wrong, so sorry they did that. Guys like that give the rest of us a bad name.

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I know not all fire dept's are this way, but my situation with me with a very bad taste in my mouth not just with that certain fire dept but also with insurance companies. Read the very small print that they'll never tell you about. My house was originally valued at $213,000. That's a very nice house in Oklahoma with the cost of living difference for a lot of states. What I didn't know is that they would only give me the depreciated value of my house, which after the fire they devalued it to $49,000. Then they tell me the contents of my house could not exceed the value. So, I only received $49,000 for my contents. I could go on forever about this, lol.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.