Traveling crate

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Hi all,

So we are picking up Seamus in 3 week! I am so excited! We went out and spent way too much money and got everything we need (for right now) to make Seamus comfy in his new home. I have wicker basket full of toys and a nice bed for him.

Quick question for the group. I am going to have to travel with Seamus by myself most likely to the vet and other places in the car. I am worried about letting him roam freely in the car while I am driving. What do you suggest I try and get? I would prefer to buy something once so what size should I get if I get a crate or a car seat?

Thanks!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
hee hee..watch that wicker basket...i came home to jameson with all his toys on the floor and his wicker basket shredded....BEST CHEW TOY EVER!

xxPAKIxx

May 4, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
I personally had to get a small crate for him until he couldn't fit no-more.
And At the moment I'm using a medium size cage.. But I do have a suv which fits perfectly in the rear..
I tried the roaming freely twice. To no success because he peed both times. Smh....Luckily for me I have leather seats.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
hee hee..watch that wicker basket...i came home to jameson with all his toys on the floor and his wicker basket shredded....BEST CHEW TOY EVER!

Exactly!

When Jake was just tiny..I brought him home and to the vets in a clothes basket. It worked like a charm! I did get one of those small collapsible zip up porta kennels..it was a piece of crapola! You'd be much better getting a small collapsible crates eventually. But if your like me..you will want him near you where you can watch him!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
1. Wicker basket, wonderful chew toy. My boys now have a plastic bin that slides under the furniture (except it's too full of toys).
2. I was always lucky with the free roaming. Never pee'd, but they like to sit as close to me as they can without being on my lap. I also have a crossover, so when all three of them are with me they go in the back hatch area and they are fine.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
A good wire crate is the best and safest for travel, once he gets bigger you can use a harness that is attached to a hook or seat belt in the car if you wish. I still use a crate most of the time. Roaming free is dangerous for them if you are ever in an accident. They became flying objects, plus if they don't get hurt too badly and a door gets opened they can get out and get lost or run over at the accident scene. I have seen this too many times in my career as a firefighter.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A good wire crate is the best and safest for travel, once he gets bigger you can use a harness that is attached to a hook or seat belt in the car if you wish. I still use a crate most of the time. Roaming free is dangerous for them if you are ever in an accident. They became flying objects, plus if they don't get hurt too badly and a door gets opened they can get out and get lost or run over at the accident scene. I have seen this too many times in my career as a firefighter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ AGREED!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

ABSOLUTELY! This basket didn't last long after Bo came home.
Bo Likes His Toys March 2011.jpg

I crate my dogs while traveling. I tried to get Bea to ride shotgun to the recycle bins with me the other day (just up the street) and she couldn't do it. She wanted in her travel crate for the ride! ha ha So, I stopped the truck and put her in there.

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Thanks for the great advice! I am going to try and find a soft crate to put in the car for traveling. What size do you think I should get? Our pup is 10 just about 10 weeks old and around 15lbs. I am thinking that we will use the crate for a while and then switch to a harness that can be strapped in. We have a CRV.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
A small to medium size crate worked for us, Hershey was big enough for harness and child seat anchor - we run a 14" horse lead (Made of metal) and we hook it to the anchor in the car, the other end clips to his harness - he can move around, but not have free run of the car. It works great for Gizmo also :)

LOOK AT GARAGE SALES, you can ALWAYS find pet crates, Pet carriers REAL cheap there :)

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
So do you think a crate that is 24" long by 18" wide by 21" high will be big enough for him for a while? I am thinking that once he is fully potty trained and bigger we will try and go for a harness that can buckle into a seat buckle so he has some more room.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online