Will getting Bongo fixed at 6 months stunt his potential head and chest size?

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi all,

I've heard that getting your bulldog fixed to early will cause them not to reach there full potential in head and chest size because of the lack of testosterone? I want his head and chest to be big and broad has anyone else heard this?

Sent from my iPad
Frank & Bongo

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I have heard that with bullies its good to wait at least 18 months before neuter...I wanted to wait but we had to have it done at 8 months...Brutus is filling out nice! Some say his head looks tiny but he is only 12 months and has sometime to grow still and Im not worried either :) Others will be by with more advice on this..

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You will find tons of opinions about this! We did have Jake neutered at 11 months, but my vet dispelled those myths. All you need to do is check out Vegas. @KMARINO..I think he was neutered at 4 months...and it obviously didn't affect him. If he is behaving himself, and you feel more comfortable waiting ..then go with it. I knowv@[U][URL="http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/member.php?u=2071"]Davidh[/URL][/U] waits to neuter his but don't worry about having a "Pin Headed" Bully!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], is right, we adopted Vegas at 4.5 months old and he was already neutered. He is a very healthy 60 lob. bully, no problems with his head or him filling out at all!!

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
We did Kains at 6 months also, no need to wait in our mind and was the right thing to do, recommended by Ceasar Milan also in his book and the show about his book so we did that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Sebastian and Oliver are getting neutered at 19 months and Remy had to get done at 8 months a week ago. Remy is almost as big as Oliver now - he is a little taller and weighs only 5 pounds less and Ollie is my big boy at 62 pounds!!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We did Kains at 6 months also, no need to wait in our mind and was the right thing to do, recommended by Ceasar Milan also in his book and the show about his book so we did that.

Same here. The vet that CBRR (rescue) uses also indicated that early neutering can affect head/shoulder size. It doesn't appear to have affected Bo at all. If his head and chest were any bigger, he wouldn't be able to hold himself up. hahahahahahaha Even if that were true, the onset of behavioral issues that CAN BE (not always) a result of the frustration of a in tact male dog isn't worth whatever size would be gained. A well balanced, happy dog is more important than head size.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
My vet told me it does affect bone density and causes them to grow taller than normal. They keep up their "puppy" growth rate longer than they should . he advises to wait until after they are 1

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Tubs was neutered at 5 months. He is now 20 months old and his weight has been between 62-65lbs....he is a big, stocky boy!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our vet also suggest to wait until about 18 months of age, so does it matter? I don't know, but I follow my vets recommendation, he is an excellent bully vet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had Nitschke done at 8 months.... and his head/chest were both very wide

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi all,

My breeder said I should hold off as long as possible she does strongly believe that if neutered too soon it will affect the males potential growth. So I'm going to wait till about 18 months as long as Bongo is good.

Sent from my iPhone using
Frank. D

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Good luck with everything there will always be two groups on this decision so it's what works best for you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.