Sunscreen

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Can anyone recommend a good dog sunscreen for Oliver? The top of his head is white and we definitely want to protect it. I went into a pet store last night and was surprised they didn't carry any. The manager told me they don't carry it since studies found that zinc can be toxic for dogs as they absorb it differently than us. She didn't have any ideas or recommendations. We never used sunscreen on our first bulldog and never had any issues, but I do notice Oliver gets a touch pink right on the top of his head. Also, not all of his hair has grown back on his leg after TTA surgery so I definitely want to protect him.

So, do you use dog sunscreen and if so, which brand?
Thanks!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I haven't used any, but a friend of mine has hairless dogs and uses the odorless sunscreens that are for children and sensitive skin.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Thanks, [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] ! Someone recommended Aveeno products since they are for sensitive skin. I guess I should do some more research!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have never used any because here it is too hot for them to be out very long, so they never have a chance to get sunburnt.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Same here, as David said, we aren't out for very long, they want to, but it's there mean ole mum makes em come in the house.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I use Water Babies on my guys. Jack, my other dog, gets it the most as he's almost all white and real thinned fur. He's with us on the boat quite a bit and I apply it multiple times a day if needed. I use the spray for him and spray it into my hands and then wipe him down.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Same here, as David said, we aren't out for very long, they want to, but it's there mean ole mum makes em come in the house.

Same here it is too hot in summer and I can not stand the heat so meanie me makes Ftse come inside, but I do have the same problem he is white on the top of his head and I do worry about sunburn I did buy him a hat but of course Ftse does not like it and thinks it is a toy. I did think of zinc not knowing that it was toxic to dogs, so i won't be using that.

FTSE 101.jpg

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My BabyGirl is white with pinkish skin so I don't dare let her be in the sun for more than a few minutes. I'm pretty sure she would lie there and bake. You said sunscreen had zinc, as in zinc oxide? Isn't Zinc in gold bond foot powder? I do use that on BabyGirls tail pocket. I have heard about it getting in their system but have never found anything written up about it. Just wondering... She only gets that once a month anyways.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo gets the tippy top of his noggin' burnt if he's out for any length of time. It's not "Hot" here yet (unfortunately) so that's just sun exposure. Since they're always playing in the pool they stay cool so that water baby idea would be great for Bo, I think. I'm gonna have to get some of that!

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Just so there isn't any misunderstanding - I don't let Oliver bake out in the sun! I'm definitely a good Mommy. BUT, even on cool days when the temps aren't blazing, he loves to lie in the grass or on the patio and he seems to turn a little pink. Even if it's just for 5 minutes. I'm not sure if he is experiencing some male pattern baldness (haha!) but he gets pink even just going out to the bathroom. I'd rather sunscreen him even just for those 5 minutes. As for the Zinc - I am clueless; I am going by what the manager of a pet store told me when asked why they didn't sell any sunscreen for dogs. I did a web search for pet sunscreens without Zinc and I'm not seeing anything that clearly states it DOESN'T contain Zinc. If anyone has any other info or thoughts or advice, chime in! :)

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I have no suggestions but wanted to say Oliver is a doll!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My neighbor was telling me about a sunscreen for animals in general that she saw on the news. I've tried to google our local news channels and can't find the story. I did find a website about a product called "Epi-Pet" that you can use on horses too --- but not cats. Apparently, this is the only FDA compliant sunscreen for animals. Did not know that!

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] - I just bought Water Babies foam and it seems to work well. I don't see Zinc even listed as an ingredient. I read about Epi-Pet also but a friend told me she felt it didn't work well. Weird, right? :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.