Vacation troubles?

mygirlsmomma

Feb 14, 2012
Lake Stevens
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
We always go camping in late July with Hubby's side of the family and this summer is the first with Ellie belly. The PLAN was to have my mom watch Ellie for the few days that we are gone because I know that she will spoil baby girl rotten (just like me) well NOW my mom and step dad are planning on comming with us! Which is ok, but I don't know what to do with Ellie. My mother in law owns a kennel, but I was more personal care for Ellie I don't want her stuck in a kennel for 5 days, and we think it will be too hot for her where we are going. Last year our boxer literally went on a 4 day hunger strike she was so miserable camping. Just wandering if anyone else out there is dealing with this as well??? Oh what to do?!?!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhhh we ALL deal with this at some time. We've resorted to only having a pet/house sitter stay at our home. But if it's your MIL and she owns the kennel..won't Ellie get special care??

OP
mygirlsmomma

mygirlsmomma

Feb 14, 2012
Lake Stevens
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Ohhhh we ALL deal with this at some time. We've resorted to only having a pet/house sitter stay at our home. But if it's your MIL and she owns the kennel..won't Ellie get special care??

If MIL wasn't camping certainly! She will have a litter of puppies and someone staying at the house which I just realized..... maybe this isn't so bad after all! I just don't want to leave her!!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhhh..I didn't realize she was camping too! It's always a worry...but just so you know lots of Bully's camp! @JeannieCO camps a lot with her babies. We take ours to the mountains as much as we can..but we a
re in our own place. But our dogs love to go! If you deciide to take her..it could be the start of something wonderful! :up: Do need to keep her comfy tho!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am fortunate to always have a house sitter as well. If you think she will be safe kenneled then at least that is an option. So long as you trust that it will be safe for her. This is the downside of having pups, not everyone loves them the way we do. :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
i would only take her camping if you have a camper with A/C, and she can stay in there nice and cool. If not then find a pet/house sitter. That's what we do if we go somewhere that our bullies can't go.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
i would only take her camping if you have a camper with A/C, and she can stay in there nice and cool. If not then find a pet/house sitter. That's what we do if we go somewhere that our bullies can't go.

Hi there! Exactly what David said. We have a camper with AC and both the bullies stay in it during the day. If it's too hot and there's no AC don't take them. We even have a small baby plastic pool that goes with us that we fill with water for them. Wilson's always in it.

A house sitter would be ideal if you know someone. I've done that and it was great!

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
We get a nanny for our babies. With Beefy's allergies, camping just isn't a good idea.

OP
mygirlsmomma

mygirlsmomma

Feb 14, 2012
Lake Stevens
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hi there! Exactly what David said. We have a camper with AC and both the bullies stay in it during the day. If it's too hot and there's no AC don't take them. We even have a small baby plastic pool that goes with us that we fill with water for them. Wilson's always in it.

A house sitter would be ideal if you know someone. I've done that and it was great!

We will have a camper with A/C which is the ONLY reason I would even consider taking her. I will be getting a baby pool for her as well:)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
We will have a camper with A/C which is the ONLY reason I would even consider taking her. I will be getting a baby pool for her as well:)
Then by all means take her with you! I got our camper pool at Babies R Us as it was much smaller than the ones you'd get at Walmart or Target, etc. We got a 5 gal orange bucket from Home Depot and fill that with water for the pool. Other campers get a good laugh when they're walking by and Wilson sitting in his pool watching them walk by. :laugh:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH does not travel well. She won't eat or go potty. She makes it clear she is not happy to break the daily rituals and leave the security of her room.

However she was almost 4 when we got her. She was set in her ways, and remains very timid and "gun-shy". She really doesn't even like to go in the car much even for quick trips to Petsmart. (although she acts like she likes the attention she gets there)

However. If Ellie is young and outgoing and likes riding in the car, you may find she loves camping.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Then by all means take her with you! I got our camper pool at Babies R Us as it was much smaller than the ones you'd get at Walmart or Target, etc. We got a 5 gal orange bucket from Home Depot and fill that with water for the pool. Other campers get a good laugh when they're walking by and Wilson sitting in his pool watching them walk by. :laugh:

But wouldn't it look just so adorable Wilson sitting in the pool!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Where are you going that it's going to be that hot? Must be another state because it sucks here -- weatherwise -- right now on BOTH sides of the mountains!

These two would LOVE a camping trip! But we do our camping in dog friendly hotels and resorts. hee hee

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online