Tear stains

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Spunky got her tear stains back...she got better while on beef frittata but now that she's on surf and turf I've noticed they've gotten a little worse. Do you think I should switch back? Any insight...

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
yup, that happened to me with Aldo!! This helped me pinpoint Aldo's problem is probably related to chicken since Beef frittata does not have it and surf n turf does.. I switched back to beef recipe and they have improved tremendously.. again.. I did order for my next bag the coast catch.. it does have chicken cartilage, but it is not as allergenic as the other chicken parts.. so we will see.. if he develops irritation again I know it is for sure, any chicken that causes it.. I also wanted to try a fish recipe on Katara and see how she does since she does have staining on her white side.. no irritation or balding but just brown marking... so... if she does better I might have to keep her on coastal catch and him on Beef frittata.. I have not noticed a difference on her being on surf n turn or beef frittata or earthborn so her issue cannot be the chicken.. might be another ingredient like peas or sweet potato... or maybe an environmental thing.. after coastal catch if I notice no difference on her I will switch her to earthborn that is less expensive per bag and she did great on (same tearing but better stools) and keep Aldo on the beef frittata.. I have also been thinking about trying NVI lamb limited ingredient for Aldo to give him another option to change every 6 months or so (like my friend [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] is doing with HRH) we wouldn't want our guys to get too bored on their food!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great post.

Tear stains are the bane of my existence. Right now, Bo's face looks like holy flying hot sweaty crap. I hate it. If you saw him on the street, you'd think, "Geez that woman doesn't take very good care of her dogs." and ya'll know how untrue THAT statement is. I'm trying to leave them alone now because I think I've probably "OVER-treated" them. Lamb food made them much worse (Earthborne) Next we're going to try the Bison version of that food. For now, we're back on their old food, Bison Sweet Potato LID. I need to get back to a baseline so I can move forward with whatever thing I am going to try next.

Good luck. It's frustrating for sure.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Have you all tried Malacetic ultra yet?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have also noticed that the Surf & Turf makes Tank's eyes water more, so we have also switched back to the Beef Frittata and today his face was much drier. Guess chicken is an issue for my boy, too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
yep switch back. Funny how they are all so diff, Cutty does well on the surf and turf and the on the beef I saw tear stains. lol Thankfully Miila hasnt had any with any food yet, miracle since she is so allergic to everything really.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Wow these are great thanks everyone! I'm going to switch back and watch her again, see how that works!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We had exactly the same problem with Maggie ... tear stains on everything but Beef Frittata. Now it's just Linus and Daddy, I just picked up some of the Pork and Apple to see how they do on that. It's the first bag so we shall see how they look in a couple of weeks.

I'm nervous, because Linus in paticular is very white and shiny with beautiful wrinkles right now.

Members online

No members online now.