dog fight

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
LeRoy and Norm had another dog fight today. Norm growled at LeRoy and then the sh*t hit the fan. LeRoy clamped down on Norms head and wouldn't let go. Norm has puncture wounds on the top of his head and near his eye. I put topracin on it, and have been cleaning it well.

I dont' know what else to do. I have since put every toy away. They get along great until toys or rawhides are involved. They even sleep together.

My finger is all bruised up from trying to pull LeRoy off Norm, and my legs are all scratched up.

I just want my dogs to get along all the time. Any suggestions?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I feel for you, I totally do. I have tried everything with my two girls, almost. Except my two want to kill each other, so it is a very organized process here to ensure they are never together. The only thing I have not tried is a behaviorilist.

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Well, they did it again. Norm was under the desk and LeRoy came up to me and laid his head down on my lap. Then out of nowhere there was a fight with me in between them. I thought before it was just with toys and rawhides. But this time there was nothing. So I guess one out at a time. I hate that!:(

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
What are some of the things your doing to maintain your status as pack leader?

One thing I would do, with two males, is neuter right away if you haven't already. After that, pay attention to who your feeding first, who gets to go outside first, who you pay attention to first, etc. It may not seem important but those are some of the heirarchy deciders among dogs packs. If its not consistent, that can confuse them into trying to decide for themselves.

For feeding especially you ABSOLUTELY MUST control the assets (food and water). If I were in your situation I would crate all three at meal time. First the females eat, oldest to youngest, then the males, oldest to youngest.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
And as an afterthought, this last fight was over something. You. When something like that happens make a HUGE fit out of it with loud yells and clapping to distract them. Then, its very important that you ignore them BOTH, completely. No attention what-so-ever because whether its good or bad attention its still reinforcing that they can argue over you.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
And as an afterthought, this last fight was over something. You. When something like that happens make a HUGE fit out of it with loud yells and clapping to distract them. Then, its very important that you ignore them BOTH, completely. No attention what-so-ever because whether its good or bad attention its still reinforcing that they can argue over you.

I agree. I have always had two males and one of the things I was reminded of with the addition of Truman is that I had to establish, above all else, my status at pack leader. When they fight with you right there, they are vying for dominance over you. No one dominates you. You need to show them you are the leader - body language, mannerism, etc.

It is so hard but frogz has presented some really solid suggestions that I've used on my pair of bullies to stave off plays for dominance.

You are the top dog!

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Yes... I fully agree with all that is written. I have always been alpha in this house. And I have never had a fight. Then comes Norm... And I've noticed that when they get in a fight, I freak out. And I'm sure that doesn't help. LeRoy has always been my baby since he was the dog I've had the longest. No one has ever even tried to fight with China. She's the old girl. Norm is the next oldest. When they fight, we separate them and put Norm in the babygate and LeRoy goes outside. Is that bad? Otherwise when we don't separte them, Norm won't stop going after LeRoy.

The way I feed them is Norm gets food put down first, then the other 2 at the same time. Is that correct? They all are spayed and neutered since they are all rescued.

Macksboss

Aug 23, 2010
Crate and rotate. You may want the dogs to get along but that doesn't mean that they want to get along. Leaving them together like this is going to get someone hurt eventually.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree. I have always had two males and one of the things I was reminded of with the addition of Truman is that I had to establish, above all else, my status at pack leader. When they fight with you right there, they are vying for dominance over you. No one dominates you. You need to show them you are the leader - body language, mannerism, etc.

It is so hard but frogz has presented some really solid suggestions that I've used on my pair of bullies to stave off plays for dominance.

You are the top dog!

I agree - it sounds as if you may have lost some of your role as pack leader. They shouldn't "own" you - and they are trying to when they fight over you. It may be useful to start looking at who actually instigates the fights and focus more on that dog by showing them that you are the alpha in the household.

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Everyone id offering awesome advice here... Thanks for all of this. It's been a good morning. I pet China first, then make the boys sit and pet them at the same time. I ignore them the rest of the time until I want to pet them. Whenever I give treats, I give it to China first, then Norm, then LeRoy. It seems to be working out. Whenever we are outside, I take the dog whistle and they all come to it, and then I give them a treat. I'm hoping things will turn around.

Thanks everyone! Love ya all!!!

SonoftheSea

Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Bulldog(s) Names
Bono, Son of the Sea
I have read this story with interest.
Good to know we don't need Cesar Millan (respect) here for our bullie behavour issues.
Just learned a few new things
Good job :cool: fellow bulldoglovers !!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have read this story with interest.
Good to know we don't need Cesar Millan (respect) here for our bullie behavour issues.
Just learned a few new things
Good job :cool: fellow bulldoglovers !!

great advice, I agree. Hopefully it helps you out and we will have good behavior to report back.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester and Milo are the same way. I feed Milo in a seperate room and I have to be very careful not to throw one of Chester's toys so he can run and get it..otherwise Milo will run and take it and hide with it. Chester doesn't understand that and just wants it :eek: Milo is much older, so I don't hold out much hope they'll ever get along :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.