Puppy antics!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Shug has been terrorizing her water dish. Literally. She will drink out of it fine for a bit, but all of a sudden she gets the puppy crazies and attacks it. I'm talking both front paws in, scratching the bottom, splashing water all over the floor. I know she thinks it's funny because she's learned that she gets in trouble for it. Last night Brandon walked into the bathroom and came back. When he left she was laying down chewing on her toy. When he heard a distinct splashing, he walked into the room with a puppy frozen with both feet in her bowl. :laugh: She stopped mid-crazy when she knew she was caught. We'd moved to a bigger bowl to try to deter her from picking the whole thing up and tossing water everywhere, so now she plays in her own personal foot bath.

Anywho, she is too short still to use the raised stand we had for Aubrey for her bowls. We have to give her water with the bowl in our hands and pick it back up because she is so stubborn even though she knows it is unacceptable behavior. :cursing: Any idea how to stop this behavior?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea loves water (still!) and used to also take a dip in her dish. I would just disagree with the behavior. You can't have that mess all the time, for one, and what if she plays in the dish and then the dogs are without water for an extended period of time? Perhaps you can set up an outdoor water play where "it's allowed". I used to get out a cake pan and let Bea play in that---outside of course. She was not allowed to play in her dish (or any water in the house) though. (It is pretty cute and funny though hahahahaha)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
While I have no suggestions for how to correct this....I would greatly advise that we need a video of this to better understand this cute....er..bad...puppy behavior! :ROFL:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Sounds like Shug is smart for sure. Sounds funny - I bet she is just precious all frozen in her tracks...lol

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
The cake pan is a great idea, thanks!! I actually checked Aubrey's old bowl stand and it was able to go down one more level, so it is just short enough for her right now. She's not very happy though because she can't stand in it!

Of course, I may give her one last shot... outside!... so I can get a video later.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
That sounds absolutely hilarious. xD I'm glad the bowl stands are going to work for her! That'll help greatly, haha.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Maybe get her a kiddie pool too. Looks like you have a water baby there. And where are the pics and vids? It's been a day already. :lol:

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Boo used to do this when he was little, i actually thought it was funny and let him be, i just didnt filled the water to much. ( its bad i know) however i used a water bowl that can be attached to his fence, now that he has grown up i put the fence on the stairs with his food and water bowl attached and used it to keep him upstairs. The height can be adjusted along with the puppy.
Here are some pictures of the said fence, and boo playing water.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340366641.328751.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340366500.657032.jpg

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
While I have no suggestions for how to correct this....I would greatly advise that we need a video of this to better understand this cute....er..bad...puppy behavior! :ROFL:

Yes, only a puppy behavior video will be able to help us better... ahh...diagnoses this issue ;) Hershey will do the same with bigger bowls (we went smaller) and we got one of those food/water dishes that are raised, which we velcro'd to his pen area, so he cant move them around :)

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Boo used to do this when he was little, i actually thought it was funny and let him be, i just didnt filled the water to much. ( its bad i know) however i used a water bowl that can be attached to his fence, now that he has grown up i put the fence on the stairs with his food and water bowl attached and used it to keep him upstairs. The height can be adjusted along with the puppy.
Here are some pictures of the said fence, and boo playing water.

View attachment 22861

View attachment 22860

Boo is adorable!

BulldogNBoxers

Jun 21, 2012
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus

I agree. Obviously we cannot give you expert advice without seeing the problem ourselves. :)

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Our first bulldog, Winnie, did this ALL of the time as a puppy. A firm "no" each time and physically removing the bowl from the floor as she started to splash..and she got over it pretty quickly. (It's so cute to watch, though!)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.