Play Time With Other Dogs - At Home vs. At Puppy Class - 15 weeks

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
So Brembo is 15 weeks.

I posted a thread about Brembo meeting 2 new dogs for the first time in his own backyard. That thread can be found http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...rembo-14wks-1st-puppy-play-date-not-good.html. I'm actually looking for some answers / comments to the most recent reply I made in the thread.

So my question today is about playing --- Specifically in regards toplaying at home vs. at puppy class. When is too much play enough?

We brought Brembo to a friends house the other night for the first time to play with another dog, Chase, who Brembo had met at HIS house a couple nights before.

In the first encounter at our house, Chase was VERY calm and reserved.
In the second encounter at Chase's house, Chase was VERY excited and playful.
During both encounters, Brembo was his usual curious, excited, playful self.

As soon as Brembo walked in, Chase got all googly-eyed and crazy excited!! I think they played for over an hour! I didn't know bullies had that much stamina. They were play biting, rolling around, playing tug-of-war......really tiring eachother out.

Now, I took Brembo to puppy class the very next day. During the last 15 minutes they're allowed to have 'play time'. Brembo, excited as usually, was not overly aggressive with the dogs, but was definitely not shy. The instructor had to spray him a couple times with water when he started playing "too hard", and they ended the session when they felt all the dogs were really tired and were having trouble controlling their bites.

So - I have one hour+ long training session vs one 15-minute training session.

Should I have let Brembo play/fight with CHase for over an hour? Am I being irresponsible for allowing them to play until they both drop dead from being tired, as it may instill bad manners / habits when around other puppies and trainers?

I was watching Chase/Brembo very closely the whole time and never once did their play get out of hand. But being at puppy class and watching him get squirted a couple times, and then having the session end after only 15 minutes - I can't help but think that I shouldn't have let him play so long and so rough with Chase.

Man, this guy has endless energy though! I thought Bulldogs were supposed to be calm!! I would see them both lay down, and then see Brembo crawl over Chase to initiate play again!

Last edited:

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Other people my have better answers... but here is mine:

It shouldn't matter how long they play... and i would rather some of that puppy energy get used up on another puppy/dog then my <blank> (insert: shoes, table legs, pillows, couch, kids xbox controllers, drywall, landscape... etc).

I also think playing is an important part of being a puppy. It teaches the puppy limits (whats a good play nibble vs. bite) and social skills. Puppy's start to learn this with litter mates, but when you bring them home they don't have anybody to test the limits with any more (other then you and your possessions).

My Molly (8month old) spent all Saturday playing with our other dog and the neighbors dog.. She spent most of sunday sleeping and just lounging around the house. My older dog tried a few times to get her to play... but she was pooooped.

The exception to the rule: It seems EB's get more wound up the more sleepy they get... Molly goes spasmoe-crazy if she gets super tired. We sometimes have to pull her off our other dog and put her in her crate at night. She'll start snoring before the crate door is even closed.

As for the puppy class 'aggressive' behavior.. Bulldogs seem to play at a 'larger' dog level (puppy EB + puppy shih tzu = trouble, puppy EB + puppy lab = broken furniture).

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I had this same experience with Otis in puppy class, he would be allowed to play but would be the first one pulled out for calming down because of his breed and the fact that he is very vocal while playing. I think the trianer did it more to appease the other puppy parents in the class that are not familar with a EB and tend to be wary of him around their labs and other breeds.

As far as palying with the other dog, I would just watch to see if he needs a "calm down" time and then let them resume. I get nervous only because I want Otis to not get out of breathe, drink water in between etc....

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Other people my have better answers... but here is mine:

It shouldn't matter how long they play... and i would rather some of that puppy energy get used up on another puppy/dog then my <blank> (insert: shoes, table legs, pillows, couch, kids xbox controllers, drywall, landscape... etc).

I also think playing is an important part of being a puppy. It teaches the puppy limits (whats a good play nibble vs. bite) and social skills. Puppy's start to learn this with litter mates, but when you bring them home they don't have anybody to test the limits with any more (other then you and your possessions).

The exception to the rule: It seems EB's get more wound up the more sleepy they get... Molly goes spasmoe-crazy if she gets super tired. We sometimes have to pull her off our other dog and put her in her crate at night. She'll start snoring before the crate door is even closed.

As for the puppy class 'aggressive' behavior.. Bulldogs seem to play at a 'larger' dog level (puppy EB + puppy shih tzu = trouble, puppy EB + puppy lab = broken furniture).

Wow I agree on so many levels. Certainly regarding chewing other things; I'd rather him use his energy having fun, than trying to chew everything and me constantly diverting him.

Also in regards to teaching them acceptable levels of biting -- this is something I read in a book, and it seems to hold true. Dogs will tell eachother when they're playing too rough, and this type of communication is really invaluable.

And I am learning each day that EBs get wound up as they get tired. I'm always thinking about where they get their energy, but when I see him snoring for 6 hours I then understand +).

I had this same experience with Otis in puppy class, he would be allowed to play but would be the first one pulled out for calming down because of his breed and the fact that he is very vocal while playing. I think the trianer did it more to appease the other puppy parents in the class that are not familar with a EB and tend to be wary of him around their labs and other breeds.

As far as palying with the other dog, I would just watch to see if he needs a "calm down" time and then let them resume. I get nervous only because I want Otis to not get out of breathe, drink water in between etc....

Thanks for commenting..... I too was taken back by the vocal-ness of Brembo. I am really glad he's not the only one. He barks and barks but you can TELL it's just because he wants to play, as it's not a type of aggressive barking behavior.

I think everyone at puppy class was very tolerant of him (including the teacher), so we'll just keep doing it and hope for the best.

On a good note: He's finally learning DOWN. It's taking forever, but he's finally started doing it!!! SO now he can Sit, High Five, ring the Pooch Bell, and go DOWN.

Next is teaching him OFF, STAY, and COME at a reliable level.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Playing is good as long as they don't get too rough or loud, that's when they need a time out. I would let them play for about 20 or 30 minutes, let them take a breat to drink and rest a few minutes and let them play again. at puppy class when you hear him getting too loud, stop his play and let him calm down a little and then resume play. That may help him play longer at puppy class.

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], this is certainly good advice. Thanks so much.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.