Sick little Moglee

Mogleebear

Jun 4, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Moglee
To say the least, I've been a very worried & weary parent this past week. Our 10 week old Moglee has had very loose stools since last Saturday. We initially monitored him a couple days after that and not seeing any alleviation to the situation, we started him on the bland diet e.g. boiled white rice & boiled chicken breasts. His stool gained a bit more consistency, but nothing near what it used to be (i.e. bulk, formation, and color). From here we finally decided to go to the vet. A stool sample was given and tested; a parasite was found in his stool and Purina EN Gastroenteric diet (1/2 can per serving x3/day) with Albon 125mg (antibiotic x1 @ 125mg/day). This regiment was initiated on Thursday the 14th and still he has yet to get any better; It would even be fair to say that his condition may have gotten worse as his stool is literally explosive. He is due for his 2nd set of shots on Tuesday, but I'm thinking of just bringing him in later this morning. Any help/support from EBN would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried sick for my little guy.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Could it be a side reaction to the antibiotic? They can be very harsh on stomachs. And that maybe with the food change. Could you try putting him back on the bland diet while he is on antibiotics?
Also make sure that he is drinking enough because puppies can get dehydrated quickly.
I don't have that much experience with this type of situation so hopefully others will chime in too.
Poor little guy...I hope that he gets better soon.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Poor guy! I don't have any experience either but I'd be calling the vet today if it was me. Keep us updated please. :hug:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
What parasite did they find? I would give the blad diet instead of the Prescription food. I am not a fan of any Purina or SD...Its crappy food so if you can stick with the bland diet while on meds(switching food too much will also upset tummy) . Since Im lte to the thread you might be at the vet so plese keep us posted and let us know how it went!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You might also give him some pumpkin (not the pie filling kind) that should help with the diarrhea, and let you vet know what's happening. Plus make sure he is drinking plenty of water and as [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION]! has said put some pedialyte in his water too. But he may not drink it as they do not like it very much so you may have to give it separate.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What is the parasite? Albon should help depending on what it is. You describe it as explosive... Sounds like giardia --(which is contagious to humans!!!!) and very difficult to get rid of. Can take weeks. Don't forget to clean the butt and put sone desitin on it. I also would not be too keen on the new food.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Can't give much more advice as everything above are all great. But wanted to give some positive thoughts your way, anything for our sick babes. :hug:

OP
M

Mogleebear

Jun 4, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Moglee
Hasn't been to the vet just yet. I'll try the pedialyte in the water and put him back on that bland diet with the ABO's. As far as what the parasite was called, I couldn't recall. I'll make sure to note that down when I'm back at the vet's. Though I'm sure it's not giardia, I'm not ruling out anything. It's so tough to see him like this and I hope I can get some answer soon. Thanks again EBN

OP
M

Mogleebear

Jun 4, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Moglee
With the bland diet, he seemed to be much more interested in the chicken as opposed to the white rice; any tips on how to make it a bit more enticing to the young chap?

What parasite did they find? I would give the blad diet instead of the Prescription food. I am not a fan of any Purina or SD...Its crappy food so if you can stick with the bland diet while on meds(switching food too much will also upset tummy) . Since Im lte to the thread you might be at the vet so plese keep us posted and let us know how it went!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Him eating is a great sign, I would worry too much about him eating only the chicken as well. Rice is just a filler. You can also try ground beef instead of chicken.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
With the bland diet, he seemed to be much more interested in the chicken as opposed to the white rice; any tips on how to make it a bit more enticing to the young chap?

Him eating is a great sign, I would worry too much about him eating only the chicken as well. Rice is just a filler. You can also try ground beef instead of chicken.

I agree! Ground beef is my go to always with the bland diet as I never gave Brutus chicken. As far as the parasite I would just ask the vet so we have an idea ...Hope everything gets better

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I am going to chime it....I understand he has a parasite, but what color is his stool? Is is a yellowy/grey color? He is eating like he is starving? Has he lost weight?

My Bella went through this for the first 6 months of her life, antibiotic after antibiotic, heart medications, you name it.....but it never changed. Finally through blood work an answer. If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, please go to epi4dogs.com

Let me know.

OP
M

Mogleebear

Jun 4, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Moglee
Not grey, but yellowish. I checked out the site and read plenty. Seems like a pretty devastating disease. He does eat like he's starving, but what puppy doesn't? As with any weight loss, from what I can see no. I'll bring up the blood test during his Vet check today at 1420 PST. Any more light you can share about this illness?

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Sorry little Moglee isn't feeling well, I agree with all the advice you've been given...if the parasite turns out to be Coccidia (which does cause diahrrea) clean up his BM's well as that parasite won't die in the environment and can potentially be a source for recontamination. The Albon can sometimes cause loose stools and weight loss but it is the first course of action against protozoan parasites....hope he feels better soon...keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online