Our first Bulldog! and Nervous

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Welcome! You've gotten some fabulous advice here and the only thing I have to add is this: READ THIS BOOK: "How to Raise the Perfect Puppy..." by Cesar Millan. XD It's my bible! Looking forward to seeing more of your new baby.

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Welcome! You've gotten some fabulous advice here and the only thing I have to add is this: READ THIS BOOK: "How to Raise the Perfect Puppy..." by Cesar Millan. XD It's my bible! Looking forward to seeing more of your new baby.

Ohhh I love him, my dad kinda does the same thing he had Gator leash trained in 20mins.. where can I find this book like pet store or Barnes n noble

Mountainlover

Jun 19, 2012
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Bullys are not like any other dogs ..... so prepare to fall deeply in love!!!

I keep reading this. What's different about bulldogs? Is there something more endearing about them than other breeds? I love my little Cavalier. Will my relationship with our bulldog be different?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I keep reading this. What's different about bulldogs? Is there something more endearing about them than other breeds? I love my little Cavalier. Will my relationship with our bulldog be different?

They are more like having a little child, a toddler. They will make you laugh and they will have their stubborn moments. You shall see!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
They are more like having a little child, a toddler. They will make you laugh and they will have their stubborn moments. You shall see!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I agree ... they become your child, part of you ... and before you know it they have snuggled up deep inside your soul so that you can't consider life without them!!

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
ref to dog doors and bullies. I live in San Antonio Texas, and we have hot weather. My Emma loves the outside, so we were very nervous about a doggie door, but her sister lives right down the street and has one. Gave it a try. No problems at all. She goes outside when she wants, and during the hot weather, she will sun herself for 10-15 minutes, then back inside. They monitor themselves if left alone. Her sister is the same way. During the cooler months, she will stay out long time. Instinct kicks in.
Good luck on your new baby, I too was new owner of a 10mth old, learn alot and quick.

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
do not know what it is about the bullies, but we have had dogs all our lives, but never been touched in the heart like we have since we got our Emma. I think she is reincarnated from a little tomboy girl. She has more mannerisms like a child rather than a dog. I can not imagine anyone not falling in love with a bullie, and I can not explain what it is, but all owners of bullies know.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I don't have much to add either but wanted to say congratulations! He' a good looking boy. Will be looking forward to seeing more of him too. :up:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
ref to dog doors and bullies. I live in San Antonio Texas, and we have hot weather. My Emma loves the outside, so we were very nervous about a doggie door, but her sister lives right down the street and has one. Gave it a try. No problems at all. She goes outside when she wants, and during the hot weather, she will sun herself for 10-15 minutes, then back inside. They monitor themselves if left alone. Her sister is the same way. During the cooler months, she will stay out long time. Instinct kicks in.
Good luck on your new baby, I too was new owner of a 10mth old, learn alot and quick.

I agree that some bullies do know when to call it quits but we've also had instances in this forum when they passed away from heat stroke and it wasn't even that warm outside. Please be careful everyone!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston

Pam - kinda off subject here but I saw that you are from San Antonio and I just had to say that I LOVE it there! My husband, son and I went last year for a vacation and stayed on the riverwalk - not only is it gorgeous but the people are the friendliest we have ever met (I thought people from Maine were friendly) but doesnt hold a candle to those in Texas. We hope to return someday, minus the son...lol We could use a trip by ourselves and SA will be first on our list.

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Well turns out Gator will go out the doggie door but prefers to have someone let him back in seems to be challenging for him!! :Lol:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I forgot to say that Gator's so handsome! Bullies really are special, they make you smile even if they're not doing anything. They can be doing something bad, and they'll still make you smile. :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree ... they become your child, part of you ... and before you know it they have snuggled up deep inside your soul so that you can't consider life without them!!

Perfectly said

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.