Our first Bulldog! and Nervous

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
GATOR, (HOPE RIP) & Spot the Aussie/mix
Well we got our first bulldog today. He's about a yr old fawn brindle color. I've named him Gator!!! But for some reason I'm definitely nervous. Mainly because I hope my other dog gets along with him! Any suggestions?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Just want to welcome you. All my dogs grew up together so I don't have any advice but hang on someone should be along shortly with some tips. Soon as you are able post some pics of Gator. Fawn brindle is mighty pretty. How did you find Gator? What kind of other dogs do you have and how old are they? Well stay tuned and let me say this is a great forum for new bulldog parents!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
:welcome:
I don't have much advice for you, but I know we have plenty of people that can give you some good advice. I just have one suggestion....
:pics:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Take them on a walk together before entering the house. Give your new boy praise and love in front of your other dogs to show them you have accepted him as part of your pack. I am still learning the pack leader stuff so I will also tag [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] who is really good with this stuff!

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
gator.jpg
Here's our big guy i named him Gatoe cuz i love the tv show Swamp People. He's about 1yr old. I got from a lady who worked at an animal hospital he was brought in by his owner told the clinic to put him down, due to his penis being inverted.... Well the loving lady who's a vet tech said she'd take him in. Well he's had his surgery and was also fixed as well. The tech and her family are actually moving out state where it snows a lot and didn't think he would do well there. So i ended up with him... He was a gift to my husband for Father's Day... let me just OMG match made in heaven :heart: I have 2 other dogs as well Spot who's a 5yr old Aussie/boxer mix he's not liking Gator much right now but we're working on it. and i have 2yr chihuahua mix (whom my mom will be taking) Gator thinks he's a cat and well my chi isn't havient it at all LOL

so last night was hard of course cuz the dogs just wanted to know who was who and who's boss and i just wanted to sleep lol But i'm trying to find something to help with Gator's shedding i've swept my floors no doubt 5 times today already...

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
He's very handsome, if you made it through one night without incidence, you are half way home. Relax and keep calm and assertive. No stress necessary. It's your house, not their's and only humans are the boss. Don't put up with any crap and enjoy all the love they give you. Welcome to the wonderful world of Bulldom

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=5053]lakermarie[/MENTION] I agree with [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]. You have to be the leader and let them know what is acceptable and what is not! I have a 5 year old pitbull when Brutus was brought home and no doubt they tested the boundaries but I had to let them know what was accepted. The bad behavior has to stopped before it happens if possible(most times not) :) You will do fine! Great pictures of him...He is sure a cutie pie! [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] will have some good advice for you!

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes i am very calm and learning to be very firm with him, Right now he's having a lil problem getting thru the doggie door remembering to pick up his back legs lol as much as i wanted a female he stole my heart and i had to have him

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
So Gator thinks the chihuahua is a cat? Mr. Wilson sees little dogs as prey too. :lol: Funny cuz I have four indoor cats and he doesn't care about them. You say he has a problem with the doggie door. You mean you have to pull him the rest of the way in? I've always wanted to put in a doggie door but I'm afraid my BabyGirl would just go outside and lie in the hot sun or chase stray cats. I let out Mr. Wilson out last night and he walked right into a stray cat. Boy those strays are tough! It came at Wilson hissing and scratching and I was just trying to grab hold of Wilson so it could run away but it came to Wilson swiping and scratching. Wilson got a nasty scratch just next to his eye and he already has eye issues from his allergies. Gave me such a scare. Now I go outside to make sure no cats are roaming in the yard before I let them go outside to do their business.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new pup. It will take some time for them to find their pecking order but be calm and you be the boss. It is also good to take them on a walk together, it will help. Plus I see you live in Arizona, so if you are not a stay at home mom and can watch him all the time, loose the doggie door. Bullies love to go out side and sun and will get too hot and instead of getting up and coming inside, they will just lay there and die of heat stroke. It doesn't take long either. That being said I would love to see more pics of your cutie.

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@ fontanafox I have to help him get his back legs up and over, but seems he prefers us just to open the door instead! [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] oh I never leave the doggie door open when we are gone my other dog stays outside he has his own bed and house and pool for the swim well more like one of those old school blue kiddie pools but I only fill it enough so he can get his paws wet.. I should have more pics up this week!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
He looks such a cutie. It will get easier as they understand where their position is in the pack. Bullys are not like any other dogs ..... so prepare to fall deeply in love!!!

OP
lakermarie

lakermarie

Jun 4, 2012
Albuquerque NM
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
yes i have already fell head over heels for this lil guy!! :heart: today my dad baptised him, lol basically introduced him to our steer and learned real quick to move outta his way (no worries he wasn't in any harm) but he did get a sloppy eskimo kiss from the Steer

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw he is so cute and i love the name. look forward to more pics and stories

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.