Itchy Butt???

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
jameson always has an itchy butt...he does this sit and spin and tries to grab his foot ...he will spin forever...i took him to the vet to check his glands...was told they were good...i clean his tail all the time....i think sometimes for him when the fur is getting twisted and pulled it bothers him. i also find sometimes when he wants attention he does it

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Nothing coming out or stuck that I can see, nothing missing....Oh @JeannieCO...do you make house calls???????
You ring? :D I just poked around (no pun intended, lol) to see if there was a time frame that's normal for dogs and there's not that I can see. I would say that maybe the one gland that didn't have much in it when expressed the last time might have filled up? I do make house calls Kelly, but they're quite expensive as you'll have to fly me out there and take me to see Donald Duck since Angie ([MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION]) couldn't manage to get to him. :laugh: When I did Wilson's his were a bit more harder to do, harder in the sense that I just had to squeeze harder, he was more pasty.

Is Vegas doing anything else besides itching his bumm on your rug? Wilson does the run, sit and spin like the match got lit under his arse. I guess it's always possible that a gland could get impacted or an infection. You'd see worms right away if he had them but I doubt that's it since you already poked around in his :poo:

I see Becky's on a roll. :ROFL: [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No help here, Miila has ALWAYS done the boot scootch and I havent figured it out aside from allergies maybe. It isnt her anals cuz she does it nomatter when hers were expressed.

Same with Banks.... always does this and after almost 7 yrs still no clue why. Tail is clean, glands are empty, nothing is going on there at all

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Same with Banks.... always does this and after almost 7 yrs still no clue why. Tail is clean, glands are empty, nothing is going on there at all

Miila doesnt even have a pocket. Her tail is a regular straight tail with no pocket at all so I know that isnt it. So odd.....

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
@cali~jenn, that is why I am baffled, Vegas never does it unless he is full and it again is average about every 5 weeks, never has he done it two weeks after having it done. Then again he is licking his front feet more than normal right now too, maybe it is just allergies??

When you mention the "foot licking" I'm thinking allergies. As Dublin is the "Queen" of allergies it sounds about right. I learn something new everyday on this forum and I have to bring up the anal glands. She has never had them expressed and never had the vet said she needed it. She has a straight ( very cute pointed and wiggly :-) ) tail and no pockets so does that have anything to do with it? I have friends with other breeds who talk about the anal gland thing but I never ask any questions. How would I know if Dublin has an need for them to be expressed? Makes me a little queasy just asking about it LOL..

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I would think it could be allergies! Tonka never had a problem when he was younger but as his allergies have gotten worse, so has the "butt" issue! Tonka was itching again only a couple weeks after we had him "expressed" too. Our vet said that allergies can make the glands fill up faster and become irritated. Tonka acts as if someone stabbed him in the butt. He will even go sulk in the corner over it!

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
[MENTION=4786]Dubbiedog[/MENTION], i'm curious to know what you find most helpful or how you treat Dublin's allergies? If Dublin is the queen of allergies, my boy must be the king! haha Also, I always know an anal gland issue when 1.) they act like someone lit a match under their bum and do a run and sit quickly in an odd way or when they scoot the butt on a rug etc. or just try to itch back there. 2.) sometimes I smell the stuff leaking out (talk about queasy). It's the most foul, metallic/fishy smell!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.