Issues between Siblings

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I have a question: do any of you who do not own siblings of bulldogs ever get together with your dog's litter mates?
Oliver's sister, Henrietta, lives close by. The breeder put us in touch with each other and our families have become great friends. Oliver and Henrietta have now had two play dates (we're on-hold for more until Oliver's TTA surgery recovery) and the dynamic between them is interesting.

As newborns, Henrietta was the dominant one of all three in the litter. Even when we first were getting to know the breeder and visiting the pups, it was clear that Henrietta was in charge. The first time they got together it was at Henrietta's house. Henrietta continually dominated Oliver. The second time they were together it was here at our house. Roles reversed and Oliver was so mean to his sister! Any time she tried to lie down, he would bark at her until she would stand up and cower. It was so strange to see.

Oliver is extremely well-socialized so it wasn't a matter of him not being used to other dogs. I should also mention that Oliver is 59 pounds and Henrietta is 38. (she is such a little peanut!) There is a vast difference in size yet size didn't play a role in their first meeting. So that leaves me to wonder if it's "turf" related. Any thoughts?

Once Oliver is healed from surgery, we decided to bring them somewhere neutral to see what they do. I'm excited to see what happens!
Here are a few pictures of Oliver and Henrietta together from their first meeting:
6-17-11-09.jpg6-17-11-17.jpg6-17-11-32.jpg6-17-11-33.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Neutral ground will definitely help..... but, how was his sister brought into the home? Did she walk in behind all others entering the house or enter first and just start rooming around?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great point. It's up to the humans to control the meeting -- any meeting -- between two dogs; siblings or not. Since they've been separated for a time, they don't know that they're related and probably don't care much either. Now they are just two strange dogs meeting. They are super cute ones though! How fun to be able to see litter mates in this way.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Henrietta (jeez, Oliver & Henrietta sound like two 90-year-olds..haha!) was last to come into the house and was introduced slowly. I think Oliver was kind of upset with her because he wanted to rough-house and play and she is a petite little princess. Haha! I'll definitely be curious to see how neutral ground works for them.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Not had a chance to get together with litter mates. Maggie was bought from a pet store ........ because we knew no better at the time!!! Daddy was a rescue from an Amish puppy mill. Linus is from AZ ... one of @desertskybulldogs babies ... but his brother Remy (@kim sebastian n oliver) would be close enough that maybe one day we could do a meet up??!!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I think it's very special when litter mates can finally meet each other (even tho the bullys themselves probably don't know it's their sibling)! I told my breeder to give my info out to the other people who bought a bulldog from Tate and Finn's litters b/c i wanted to meet them and have the bullys meet each other, but so far, no such luck or response.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.