Not Sure What to Do?

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
Einstein has always had a problem with me taking a shower. If I say I'm going to take a shower he runs to the bathroom. Lately he has been really good. I get to the bathroom door and I make him sit and stay. When I'm done he is always right there laying in front of the door. Not sure what was different last night but he did not want me going in the bathroom. I made him sit and stay but has soon as I would turn around to close the door he would dart in. So I worked with him for about 20 minutes and he wouldn't stay. It got to the point where he would go in the bathroom and he wouldn't come back out. I would walk up to him and he would cower down and he started shaking. He's never done that before. I felt like he thought I was going to do something to him but no one ever has. Well I had to get in the shower otherwise I was going to be late for work, so I went and got him a treat and made him come out and sit and he did. But he jumped on the door as soon as I closed it. If my husband is home he could care less if I'm going in the shower. Do you guys think he has some sort of separation anxiety? He does fine when I have to leave for work. Not sure what to do!

OP
Einstein the Great

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
I have let him in the bathroom with me before. Once he jumped in the shower with me. And if I try to take a nice relaxing bath (yeah right ha!) he stands on the side of the bathtub and 'watches over me' and tries to lick all the water of my arms if he can reach them! That is a good point though. My husband said he thought it was because he knew I was going to leave. I only work 3 days a week but I work 12's so I'm gone for over 14 hours. And when I come home I sleep then leave again. This was my 3rd night. And 3rd time of going in to take a shower then leaving. Thanks for the input. Boy these dogs are smarter than I give them credit for!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I might try to alter my routine -- and his --- so he's not so focused on "THE SHOWER TIME" like its an omen of something terrible coming. If you're like most folks, I tend to do things in the same exact order every day. We are creatures of habit, afterall! Perhaps by altering the "order" of activities, you can disrupt the path to anxiety that's occurred by the time you finally do get in the shower? Does that makes sense?

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Maybe give him a treat, something he loves that lasts a few minutes, before you get in the shower. The object would try to turn it into a happy event (something to look forward to rather then something to dread)

We have the opposite problem with Molly.. she LOVES the shower. My youngest son started letting her get in our walk-in shower with him when he takes a quick 'after-football-practice-get-the-stink-off' shower. Now Molly bangs her head into the door anytime somebody takes a shower... Nothing will wake you up more then a 45lb puppy running full speed into a glass door at 5:30am. It doesn't help that my wife sometimes will just turn on the water and let Molly play in it :nonono: during the day.

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I'm going to echo what [MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] suggested - maybe give him something like a Kong or chew toy that can occupy him for a longer length of time. (or start taking super fast showers. Haha!) ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I let them in the bathroom with me, but they get toys... kong, bone something time consuming... if I let Cheli out while I am showering -- I come out to a huge mess

OP
Einstein the Great

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] good idea! And maybe I should shower in the mornings when I get home when my husband is still home.

[MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] that's a good idea too. We used to put some peanut butter in his kong when he used to use his crate when we left and he loved it. But he doesn't seem to need his crate anymore so he gets free range while we are gone. Thanks!

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I have tried letting him there with me but he is always jumping in the shower. But maybe if I brought in a special treat that would occupy him long enough!

Thanks for all the advice. I just felt like such a bad mom because he was so nervous about me going into the bathroom without him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.