Irritated

futureowner

May 30, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Scout
So, my husband and I have been searching for a bully to add to our family and quite honestly with buying our English Mastiff we are kind of on the down side of having extra funds to pay for a bully upfront. I know they say if you can't afford to buy one, you can't afford to take care of one.
We saw this ad on craigslist today :

[h=2]Pure bred English bulldog (Rifle-fruita)[/h]
Date: 2012-06-13, 11:39AM MDT
Reply to: [email protected] [SUP][Errors when replying to ads?][/SUP]
I have a 3.5 month old bulldog I have papers,the dog has 1st set of immunizations. It is good around kids and potty training is going good. Please email me at [email protected] I live in fruita but travel to rifle frequently. My families schedule don't allow us to keep dog any longer other wise we would keep. The dog also is not fixed.

5Ia5G45M33K93Fe3L3c6d2ffa0f29ae101487.jpg

I sent them an email with my information and of course, nothing. So then I go back and check the ad to see if I got the email address wrong and it was gone. Why do people have to put spam on there, why can't there be honest people in this world. I know it may have had issues that we would have had to deal with but that's okay to us, we just want a pup that can grow up with our EM and our skin babies :(

Sorry, just had to vent and figured this is as good a place as any!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Craig's List is notorious for all sorts of Bully stuff. But I think [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] lucked out and got wonderful Vegas from there?? Maybe she has some tips for you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=5019]futureowner[/MENTION] have you looked into rescue?

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I see it all the time in my area.. A lot of them turn out to be stolen (EB's have a high theft rate in my state).

+1 to the recommendation of looking into the local rescue groups.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=5019]futureowner[/MENTION] have you looked into rescue?

my idea also. ;) BUT you might want to remember that if something happens the surgeries are very expensive. Cutty just had his acl surgery and cost a good 2000. And he has been a very healthy pup that came from good genes so money can go in a heartbeat. Maybe save for a while to get a nest egg for the pup for emergencies and look into rescue. They are spayed and neutered and whatever health problems are addressed up front so there are no hidden surprises. (not that later things cant happen but you know what I mean).

OP
F

futureowner

May 30, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Scout
@futureowner have you looked into rescue?

I have looked into rescue, my husband is looking for a pup under the age 1 so he/she will be close in age with our mastiff. Almost all of the bullies I have seen in rescue also require a home with no kids under age 5 or even higher and we have a 1yr old and a 3yr old so that won't work. Plus most only adopt within a certain radius of the town or state and we are in Colorado, the guy here said he doesn't have any right now and the 10 week old pup he did just get is already going to someone else!!
Oh well, we are going to wait and give it some time, we are in no rush and still researching :)

wendykerr

Jun 3, 2012
Cibolo, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry aka Lawrence Tiberius
my idea also. ;) BUT you might want to remember that if something happens the surgeries are very expensive. Cutty just had his acl surgery and cost a good 2000. And he has been a very healthy pup that came from good genes so money can go in a heartbeat. Maybe save for a while to get a nest egg for the pup for emergencies and look into rescue. They are spayed and neutered and whatever health problems are addressed up front so there are no hidden surprises. (not that later things cant happen but you know what I mean).

Larry had awesome lines, great temperment, the works - we we have at least $2k in vet bills so far and he's only 10 months old. Allergy issues, ear infections, sprained shoulder, mites, etc.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have looked into rescue, my husband is looking for a pup under the age 1 so he/she will be close in age with our mastiff. Almost all of the bullies I have seen in rescue also require a home with no kids under age 5 or even higher and we have a 1yr old and a 3yr old so that won't work. Plus most only adopt within a certain radius of the town or state and we are in Colorado, the guy here said he doesn't have any right now and the 10 week old pup he did just get is already going to someone else!!
Oh well, we are going to wait and give it some time, we are in no rush and still researching :)

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] is in Colorado... she may be able to provide some insight

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi there! Where in Colorado are you? We're in Centennial over by Southlands. People on Craigslist can be such idiots. We responded to a couple of pitbull adds with no responses and continued on until we found Jack (our 4th pitty and our rescue). I also have two bullies, Emma & Wilson. You didn't by chance to to Petsmart on Gartrell for pet classes did you? If so, Emma is the one that bite your mastiff in the face when they first met (she's still lacks some manners, lol). If not, forget you just read that! ;).

Have you tried calling some vets? I know when I first went to Homestead Animal Hospital I met this man that was waiting for a bully to arrive that he was going to adopt. The bully was beautiful and I don't know his story. I can see why they don't want small kids (I think it should be dog related though - not a general rule if that's what it was).

You might want to try a few state clubs? I don't belong to any so don't know of them off the top of my head. I could check for you though as a neighbor a several doors down has two and belongs to a couple of clubs (I've never met this bullies - sad huh).

Oh, :welcome: to EBN too! :up:

OP
F

futureowner

May 30, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Scout
Hi there! Where in Colorado are you? We're in Centennial over by Southlands. People on Craigslist can be such idiots. We responded to a couple of pitbull adds with no responses and continued on until we found Jack (our 4th pitty and our rescue). I also have two bullies, Emma & Wilson. You didn't by chance to to Petsmart on Gartrell for pet classes did you? If so, Emma is the one that bite your mastiff in the face when they first met (she's still lacks some manners, lol). If not, forget you just read that! ;).

Have you tried calling some vets? I know when I first went to Homestead Animal Hospital I met this man that was waiting for a bully to arrive that he was going to adopt. The bully was beautiful and I don't know his story. I can see why they don't want small kids (I think it should be dog related though - not a general rule if that's what it was).

You might want to try a few state clubs? I don't belong to any so don't know of them off the top of my head. I could check for you though as a neighbor a several doors down has two and belongs to a couple of clubs (I've never met this bullies - sad huh).

Oh, :welcome: to EBN too! :up:

Loved the biting thing at your puppy class :) but that wasn't us. I sent you a private message and spoke to the people, well a couple I think and my husband and I decided to see if we could find a rescue. We will probably just end up waiting a while and finding a breeder here in Colorado. I looked at the BCA website and spoke with a few of the breeders they recommend, so if we can't find the right one for us via rescue, we will probably go the other route in a couple months!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.