Whining - why!?!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Good morning everyone,

Otis has all of a sudden has begun to whine and I'm not sure why - he will sit up on the bed in the middle of the night and just whine - we take him out to do his thing and back to bed - about an hour or so later he is sitting up again whining - so we take him out and nothing.

Last night he also whined just before bed time while laying on the bed - is there something wrong with my baby boy? Very concerned as he has never done this before - normally he sleeps right throught the night - but for the last three nights this has been happening.

The whine is scaring me, is he sick, hurt, scared, hungry, tired...?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Re: Whiing - why!?!

If it were me I'd be scared too.... trip to the vet maybe?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have no clue..but I'm with Bruce...if it goes if this has gone on for a couple days..I'd take him to the vet. It could be ome thing as simple as he is playing you...or something causing him pain. Let us know!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree with Bruce and Jakeisgreat, if he is whining while right there with you that seems odd. Trust your instincts and if something feels off, take him to the vet.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Thank you everyone! I was thinking it is an attention getter but better to be safe then sorry.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thank you everyone! I was thinking it is an attention getter but better to be safe then sorry.

Sometimes they do it for attention but usually as young pups and then they grow out of it Well some :) I would also just have the vet do a checkup just to be sure! Hope all goes well and keep us posted :)

TrickDogTrainer

Aug 23, 2011
Titusville, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Riddick
Better safe than sorry! If his routine has stayed the same and this whining is new I would have him checked out just in case. A lot can happen to a bully within 3 days of a problem starting. Keep us updated. Hope all is OK!

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Boadie wines when he is sleepy. But he has done this ever since we got him. He is also very vocal, always barking and doing little monkey sounds too.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Is he peeing OK??...maybe he has a urine infection. I'd go to the vet they will check him out xx

Yes, he's peeing and pooping fine, all is normal with the exception of the whining - mind you he doesn't do it all the time but towards bed time it begins.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Definitely need a vet check. I wonder if it might be an ear infection. My skin kids would do is when they were little, be fine all day but at night be up crying and whining and it usually ended up being an ear infection.... Just a thought. Hope all is well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Definitely need a vet check. I wonder if it might be an ear infection. My skin kids would do is when they were little, be fine all day but at night be up crying and whining and it usually ended up being an ear infection.... Just a thought. Hope all is well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good thought! Thank you....

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
jameson whines...and whines...and whines...he whines when he is bored...when he feels he needs attention...when he is on my bed...and he doesn't want to go to sleep...when he thinks i should get up....

is he getting enough exercise/playtime?? maybe he is bored and doesn't want to sleep?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abby wakes me up with that whiney noise at night when she has to go pee. I let her out, she does her business and we both go back to sleep. Check with your doctor for any infections but if he checks out clean he might just be doing it because he knows you will react to it.

OP
LynnA

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
UPDATE on Otis - he did not whine at all last night, I think I've got him figured out now - he is a NEEDY, NEEDY baby boy. Along with the fact that we have not been giving him the treats like we used to while he was enrolled in puppy class and after EVERY successful pee/poop/sit/stay/lay down and every other GREAT accomplishment he did and I believe he misses that - so between really liking to be trained and rewarded and needing tons of undivided attention I've got his number...lol

Last night after lots of Pumpkin Cinnamon cookie treats, a half an apple and MOST of the night cuddiling, loving, praising, kissing, rubbing - he went right to sleep and slept through the night.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
jameson whines...and whines...and whines...he whines when he is bored...when he feels he needs attention...when he is on my bed...and he doesn't want to go to sleep...when he thinks i should get up....

is he getting enough exercise/playtime?? maybe he is bored and doesn't want to sleep?

My Jack does the exact same thing, he's the only one in the house that does this, and it's mostly at night from boredom. He'll sleep a lot during the day and then around 8 pm he'll start in when everybody else is settling down, "my turn for attention" he'll even hold a conversation with you and wiggle his butt when you talk directly to him. But until you notice and pay attention, it's all whine. and an occasional bark just for good measure

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.